PDA

View Full Version : Tracking sensor fault-error 320

djarboe
06-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Started to do a new carving this morning, and am getting the tracking sensor fault 320 message. So, I checked the brass roller/o-ring, and it looks OK. I then put a strip of masking tape along the edge... no change. Since this is a rather thin board, I thought there may still be some warpage where it isn't contacting the tracking roller, so I added a second strip of masking tape. Still no luck.

After reading some other threads and looking at my machine, I can see that the two sandpaper belts have slowly worked their was toward the control side of the machine... maybe about 1/4". There appears to be a very small raised portion on the edge of the belt on the control/sensor side. I am assuming this is what is causing the error.

I read instructions on how to change belts, thinking I can just slide the belts back to proper location. However, I see numerous ways I could really mess this up.

Is there some way I can run the belts and slowly push the belts back into position without having to disassemble everything??

Dave

mtylerfl
06-12-2010, 10:34 AM
... Since this is a rather thin board... Still no luck....

Dave

Hello Dave,

Is your board at least a full 1/2" thick? If not, you will need to use a sled or carrier board to run it through the machine.

Also, please read the Tips & Tricks issue about avoiding Tracking Problems (ISSUE 27 January – February 2010 – Maintaining Accurate Board Tracking (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Jan_Feb10.pdf)). The belt drift is likely due to poor board placement and/or head pressure problems (both easily corrected).

Yes, you can either trim the belt(s) or move them without taking anything apart. You need to wedge a short bolt to compress the spring in order to allow movement of the belt(s). There is a post somewhere here on the forum with more detail on the procedure.

djarboe
06-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Hello Dave,

Is your board at least a full 1/2" thick? If not, you will need to use a sled or carrier board to run it through the machine.

Also, please read the Tips & Tricks issue about avoiding Tracking Problems (ISSUE 27 January – February 2010 – Maintaining Accurate Board Tracking (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Jan_Feb10.pdf)). The belt drift is likely due to poor board placement and/or head pressure problems (both easily corrected).

Yes, you can either trim the belt(s) or move them without taking anything apart. You need to wedge a short bolt to compress the spring in order to allow movement of the belt(s). There is a post somewhere here on the forum with more detail on the procedure.

Yea, my board is only 3/8" thick. I have two of them, so I could stack them with some carpet tape in between. If I do this, do I need to redo my pattern, since my model says the board is only .375" thick?

Will look for the thread on on-machine spring compression.

Thanks!

AskBud
06-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Started to do a new carving this morning, and am getting the tracking sensor fault 320 message. So, I checked the brass roller/o-ring, and it looks OK. I then put a strip of masking tape along the edge... no change. Since this is a rather thin board, I thought there may still be some warpage where it isn't contacting the tracking roller, so I added a second strip of masking tape. Still no luck.

After reading some other threads and looking at my machine, I can see that the two sandpaper belts have slowly worked their was toward the control side of the machine... maybe about 1/4". There appears to be a very small raised portion on the edge of the belt on the control/sensor side. I am assuming this is what is causing the error.

I read instructions on how to change belts, thinking I can just slide the belts back to proper location. However, I see numerous ways I could really mess this up.

Is there some way I can run the belts and slowly push the belts back into position without having to disassemble everything??

Dave

Here is a post I did about the belt adjustment.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=103671&postcount=15

mtylerfl
06-12-2010, 11:33 AM
... If I do this, do I need to redo my pattern, since my model says the board is only .375" thick?...

No, you shouldn't have to make any changes to your layout. However, please read the Tips & Tricks ISSUE 12 September 2008 – Designer 1.131 New Feature Highlights (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Sept08.pdf) to learn how to properly deal with the setup you described. The info is readily available for pretty much all aspects of machine operations and common techniques...the challenge is finding time to read and retain it all!

Digitalwoodshop
06-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Dave,

I won't beat the 1/2 inch board to death but I think you mentioned the real problem with the tracking sensor. The forward belt or the one under the muffler has moved toward the keypad and rolled under.

So in my opinion, the real problem is the rolled under belt raising the board from the roller.

A few fixes.....

1. Remove the tray from the machine and move the belt back over. Temp fix in my opinion... It will move back over in a short time.

2. Replace the belt.

3. Crude.... But do what I do, the area 3/4 inch back from the end between the roller and tray. I carefully cut a 3/4 inch of the belt. I then tear the belt while moving the rollers. I RIP the rolled under area from the belt leaving a 1/2 inch of exposed roller and tray near the brass roller....

On my current work horse machine, I have torn the belt 4 times.... Sure it is short on the far side.... But I don't normally use any wood wider than 12 inches.

Soon I will replace the belts, but for now no problem....

AL

djarboe
06-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Here is a post I did about the belt adjustment.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=103671&postcount=15

Tried doing this, but could not get the belts to rotate manually. They did turn, but only very little, and with great effort.

Ended up using Michael T's tip about compressing the roller on each side and wedging a short bolt in to hold it. This let me slide the belt back over where it was originally.

djarboe
06-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Dave,

I won't beat the 1/2 inch board to death but I think you mentioned the real problem with the tracking sensor. The forward belt or the one under the muffler has moved toward the keypad and rolled under.

So in my opinion, the real problem is the rolled under belt raising the board from the roller.

A few fixes.....

1. Remove the tray from the machine and move the belt back over. Temp fix in my opinion... It will move back over in a short time.

2. Replace the belt.

3. Crude.... But do what I do, the area 3/4 inch back from the end between the roller and tray. I carefully cut a 3/4 inch of the belt. I then tear the belt while moving the rollers. I RIP the rolled under area from the belt leaving a 1/2 inch of exposed roller and tray near the brass roller....

On my current work horse machine, I have torn the belt 4 times.... Sure it is short on the far side.... But I don't normally use any wood wider than 12 inches.

Soon I will replace the belts, but for now no problem....

AL
Al, Thanks. I got the belts moved back to their original place, but I am sure you are right... they will return eventually. After all, they've moved over once already, right?

Your suggestion #3 is interesting, but as I mentioned to Bud, I could not get the drive belts to rotate manually with the machine turned off. Well, they turned very hard, and only about 1/2" before I started losing significant amounts of skin on the sandpaper belt.

Should these rotate easily with the machine off?
Dave