PDA

View Full Version : Crazy???

Don Butler
06-11-2010, 10:55 AM
I have a design I'm trying to carve.
The field is set to carve .25" deep, but the machine is carving only a scant 1/32" deep.
I don't understand.

don

AskBud
06-11-2010, 11:00 AM
I have a design I'm trying to carve.
The field is set to carve .25" deep, but the machine is carving only a scant 1/32" deep.
I don't understand.

don

As always, an attachment, or two, would greatly help in assessing your situation.
Also, listing the type chuck you are using may help as well.
AskBud

Don Butler
06-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Sorry. I haven't used attachments on the forum.

Ike
06-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Sorry. I haven't used attachments on the forum.

Don, one thing your letters were set at .125. I set the letters at the same depth of the carve region. Plus set the height above 100, I adjusted it to 500 and the draft to small.

See if this helps you!

Ike

AskBud
06-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Presuming the recess is the concern, and not the text, some things that come to mind.
1) the bit is loose in the chuck.
2) If using a sled, the rails are higher than the wood.
AskBud

Router-Jim
06-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Presuming the recess is the concern, and not the text, some things that come to mind.
AskBud

That is my thoughts as well. That a loose bit pushed up when finding the surface.

Ike
06-11-2010, 11:39 AM
AskBud

Please explain with raised lettering if it is set at a lesser depth then the carve region I would think the CW would choose the lesser depth?

Then with a loose bit it would cut deeper not less. My bit came loose in my chuck and went deeper, gravity!

Ike

Don Butler
06-11-2010, 11:52 AM
My bit isn't loose in the chuck and I'm not using a sled.
I'm downloading the latest version of the software now, so I'll try Ike's adjustments as soon as its installed.

don

AskBud
06-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Please explain with raised lettering if it is set at a lesser depth then the carve region I would think the CW would choose the lesser depth?

Then with a loose bit it would cut deeper not less. My bit came loose in my chuck and went deeper, gravity!

Ike

Ike,
You may have a point.
The MPC appears OK. However, the machine may be doing an over-ride on the depth setting. It would not hurt to set the text to a depth of .250, and see what happens.
AskBud

Ike
06-11-2010, 12:07 PM
My bit isn't loose in the chuck and I'm not using a sled.
I'm downloading the latest version of the software now, so I'll try Ike's adjustments as soon as its installed.

don

I hope that is the fix and thanks Bud I was thinking I was crazy! The only other thing that comes to mind is a warped or slightly warped board or a board that is not consistent in thickness.

I use rough cut material and some boards are slightly warped and not until I plane the board I noticed the board was warped. So if the board was set with cup up then that could account for the lesser depth.

So Don check the board and I would run the same board and see if it cuts deeper with the mpc adjustments.

Ike

Don Butler
06-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Ike,
The adjustments didn't make any difference.
I tried another design and it carves normally.
So, it has to be this design.
!!!???

don

Ike
06-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Ike,
The adjustments didn't make any difference.
I tried another design and it carves normally.
So, it has to be this design.
!!!???

don

How strange? Like Bud said it look fine and your board looked ok? I noticed the carve region was named something different. Did you design the carve region?

Ike

Don Butler
06-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Yes, designed the carve area to have the top corners radiussed.

d

Ike
06-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Yes, designed the carve area to have the top corners radiussed.

d

Did you assign a bit to outline before setting the carve region? If so the bit may not be set at 1/4" You could try setting at a 1/2" and see if it carves deeper?

Ike

ChrisAlb
06-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Try this Don. I simply made a carved region to replace your "pattern".

Hope it helps.

Don Butler
06-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks Chris.

I discovered the error of my way and replaced that part with a real carve area, and all is well.

Sorry for all the fuss and error, folks!

d

ChrisAlb
06-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Thanks Chris.

I discovered the error of my way and replaced that part with a real carve area, and all is well.

Sorry for all the fuss and error, folks!

d

LOL....no fuss....just FUN!