PDA

View Full Version : 3d Software

Big Al (NJ)
11-25-2006, 06:33 AM
Was wanting to purchase a 3d software program that would be able convert or produce 3d images for the CW system. I'm not that knowledgable on computers. I do know a little, but not any of the technical stuff. Looking for any suggestions from the experts here. I'm on a budget so I'm looking for the best bang for my buck, hopefully small buck. Thanks.....

Big Al (NJ)

mikevds
11-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Do you.....or anyone else know what 3D format the CW software will import? I have a 3D program that exports .DXF and .3DS objects.

cajunpen
11-25-2006, 02:27 PM
I think that you will find that the cost of purchasing 3D software is not for us guys on a "budget". The cost is very high and it appears that the learning curve is very extreme. I would suggest that you go to http://www.vectorart3d.com. James offers some pretty nice 3D artwork for the CarveWright and it carves very nicely. He has set it up so that it will work in the CW machines.

The format for the 3D artwork is .ptn - whatever that means :D

Hope this helps - good luck, I think you will find the CW a very fun machine.

Greybeard
11-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Bill - does the vector art file carve as a raster file, backwards and forwards across the board ?
I assume so, though with its name you might expect it to run as a vector :D

John

BobHill
11-25-2006, 07:06 PM
John,

All vector has to be done (to date) in CarveWright Designer. If one makes objects in vector (Adobe Illustrator, CorelDraw, AutoCad) they have to be converted to either JPEG, GIF, or PNG formats for carving and then imported into your Library for use in your design. ALL carvings are done in raster and the head travels across in Y axis in Z height steps as the belt moves the wood in ONE direction in X axis (left to right as looking at the control pad square on). In that respect it prints (carves) just like a computer printer lays down it's dots to make the pixels, only in this case it's got Z axis height and carves (drill like) as it moves. I know you know this, but the answer is more for those that haven't linked their mind to the action yet.

Bob

Greybeard
11-26-2006, 03:59 AM
Bob - you guessed :D , but I was looking for a heads up on this as, without a machine to try it on, I did wonder if VectorArt and CW had got together and solved the vector problem that many users are waiting for.

But I guess that when that day dawns there will be much trumpeting and sounds of rejoicing throughout the land etc, etc. :)

Thanks for the reminder that GIF files can be used. I'd forgotten that, and it would be a way of avoiding all the jpg hassle every time you want to save any changes to your original file.

John

BobHill
11-26-2006, 08:04 AM
John,

A clear dissertation on just how the gray scale works to make the best z axis carving would be great. If the height of the particular "object" is, say, 0.125, would the steps for a "perfect" curve have to take the complete 255 steps from 8bit grey scale or could you set (say using gradient mesh) different parts of the "object" to different heights by assigning portions of the grey scale which would alter the height of each article within the object yet would allow for a good smooth carving. The idea of having to pay the price for something like ArtCam Pro when I already have a fortune in Adobe/Corel/Xara/AutoCad products is trying to be avoided. I find that paying someone else to do such work, when I personally have the means (if not yet the knowledge) isn't in my budget schedule. I'd rather spend it on wood and perhaps further accessories than on software other than updates to what I already have.

Bob

mikevds
11-26-2006, 11:27 AM
John,

A clear dissertation on just how the gray scale works to make the best z axis carving would be great.
Bob

I know this isn't what you meant, but it did give me an idea. I imported a 255 gray scale image just to kind of give me an idea on how shades of gray get carved. This gives me a better idea of how to edit my images ahead of time.
http://home.comcast.net/~mikevds/grayscale1.jpg

Greybeard
11-26-2006, 11:45 AM
Nice one Mike. In one step(pun intended) you've illustrated the basic relationship between greyscale and Z height.

Bob - your mention of gradient meshes struck a dim memory. Is that an adobe tool, and could you pm me details. It sounds like something I'm looking for. :)
John

Craig Sibley
12-28-2006, 02:45 AM
I am wondering if anyone knows if Sketch Up can be used as a 3D program. The Google SketchUp version is a free down load, and the pro version is only $495.00. I've been using it and it is really easy to use... and you certainly can't beat the price! Anyone know if the files are compatible with CW? I haven't purchased the CW yet, but this is one area that I think is a make it or break it for me, as I have found that the "basic" CW download is insuficient for my uses. Many thanks! :D

Craig Sibley
12-28-2006, 03:45 AM
Okay, I was successful in exporting a PNG image, and then importing and using it in CW. The only problem I have now is that I am unable to determine how to change the depth of the cut. Can anyone help me with this. I have attached the simple logo sign I am trying to cut.

Craig Sibley
12-28-2006, 03:47 AM
Sorry about the double attachment, trying to learn how to use this site as well as the software!!! :oops:

Craig Sibley
12-28-2006, 03:51 AM
BTW... I created the PNG you see here with free 3D software available from Google called Google SketchUp. You can down load it for free here (In both Mac or PC);

http://sketchup.google.com/download.html

BobHill
12-28-2006, 09:51 AM
John,

I just saw your Nov. 26th post asking about gradient mesh. Somehow during the Thanksgiving period and upcoming Christmas season stuff I missed that. Gradient mesh is one of the greatest vector tools to come down the pike, although it's actually a raster tool incorporated in both CorelDraw and now Adobe Illustrator. I believe it actually was first present into the vector graphics scene by your (UK) own vector company, Xara (which I also use). You might want to check into Xara ( www.xara.com ) as they have some great 3D stuff also, which I'm just now getting into and think it can apply (especially with gradients for carving) to the CarveWright.

And Mike you really came through with a great one with your gradient example. That's taking what has been right before our faces for a long time and enlightening us all. Boy does that help showing that process clearly. I'll also see if I can make up a gradient mesh that'll look like something for demonstration purposes. With this I do believe I can be on a roll.

Bob

mikevds
12-28-2006, 11:20 AM
And Mike you really came through with a great one with your gradient example. That's taking what has been right before our faces for a long time and enlightening us all. Boy does that help showing that process clearly. I'll also see if I can make up a gradient mesh that'll look like something for demonstration purposes. With this I do believe I can be on a roll.

Bob

Oh good, I was hoping that illustration was what you were looking for. Glad it helped.

brianwhite72
12-24-2007, 10:06 AM
FYI, the free Google sketchup saves its files as .png files, but is configured to export 3D files in only ONE file format, .kmz . Before you attempt this, click on camera, scroll to Standard, click on Top or Side, then click on Camera again, click on Parallel Projection. Now, you can export your 3D file in .kmz format. LHR would be very wise to enable this file format as importable, if they have not yet done so.

dwbox
12-24-2007, 11:30 AM
I've been working on a project for my son who's just home from National Guard training. (See attached) For the life of my, I could never get the outer circle to cut clean, there's pock marks throughout the cut. I tried and tried with three different programs to clean it up. I purchased the centerline feature and that's when it finally dawned on me that the software WILL allow a vector cut. So, I used the Project Designer to draw a circle, and assigned the 90 deg V groove bit to it. This took care of all of the ugliness in the out circle of the design, and gave a nice feather to the project.

Wow.....I wish there was someway to get all of these projects to carve in vector................................

ChrisAlb
12-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Okay, I was successful in exporting a PNG image, and then importing and using it in CW. The only problem I have now is that I am unable to determine how to change the depth of the cut. Can anyone help me with this. I have attached the simple logo sign I am trying to cut.

Hi Craig,

I just opened your file, typed .1 in the depth vs. your .25 and it changed just fine. Unless that's not what you meant. Anyway, here's the file at the .1 depth.

Now...lol... Can you tell me how Sketch-up exports to png? I've been using Sketch-up Pro for a long time now and love it. As a seasoned (that means gray haired) AutoCad 2002 user, I wish I could combine the two. I downloaded it specifically for use with my CarveWright.

brianwhite72
12-27-2007, 11:10 AM
ChrisAlb, here's how Sketchup exports scalable 2D files; Open Sketchup, use Window and scroll to Model Info to define Font, measurement units, etc.
Next, put cursor on Camera and scroll down to Standard Views; scroll right, to 7 options, click on any one EXCEPT "Iso". Put cursor back on Camera, scroll down to Parallel Projection and click on that.
Now, create your 2D image. You can save it as a .skp file, AND you can click on File, scroll down to Export and scroll to right; then scroll down to 2D Graphic and click on it. This will open a dialog box called, "Export 2D graphic". At the top, a Save In box allows you to define the location where the exported file will be stored. At the bottom, see the box "Export Type"? Click on the downward-pointing arrow to choose from: JPEG, Windows bitmap, .tif, and .png
Any recent Windows version can open .png using the Windows fax viewer; it is activated automatically. If you export in jpg, you can magnify your graphic image within your computer; .png will be a larger, more detailed file.

brianwhite72
12-27-2007, 11:18 AM
While I'm thinking about it, not only would LHR be wise to enable import of free Sketchup's .kmz 3D file format, they would be even wiser to create a FAQ section on THEIR website, with a list of "foreign" software title and file extensions which Carvewright Designer will accept as imports. This list would be updated within 24 hours of the enable-ment of a new file format. If they were wiser still, each of these title or file extensions would function as a link to a page which would explain the annoying, subtle details of how to import that kind of file!

ChrisAlb
12-27-2007, 11:23 AM
ChrisAlb, here's how Sketchup exports scalable 2D files;

Thanks Brian. I did some playing around and it all works great. Also, I found that when saving 2D to png you can opt to have it save the "current view" as the file. So now just rotate your 3D creation to whatever view(s) you like and presto, you have a 3D " view that CARVES in 3D... Too Cool!

I have 4 separate views of the same 3D drawing in 4 png files. This is gonna be big!

Chris

ChrisAlb
12-27-2007, 11:29 AM
While I'm thinking about it, not only would LHR be wise to enable import of free Sketchup's .kmz 3D file format,

Hey, how about a universal standard for Pattern, projects and CNC output data or at least a standard conversion tool.

Hmmm...wonder if I'll live that long...lol