PDA

View Full Version : new Carvewright Version C

twiceretired
06-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Of the Version C improvements, which ones can we order to improve our working machine?
I know we can order the Carve Tight Spindle System, but what about the other improvements? Will they work on our present 2 year old machine, I think Version B

• CarveTight Spindle System
• Base Reinforcements
• Vertical Guide Rod Stabilizer Feet
• Reinforced Strapping on Power Supply
• Modified Board Tracking Sensor
• Simplified X Gear Drive
• Software and Firmware Improvements

twiceretired
06-14-2010, 12:05 PM
I don't think I ask a stupid question, I would have thought at least LHR would ans this. Oh well, I can see why people give up, and get upset.

mtylerfl
06-14-2010, 12:41 PM
I don't think I ask a stupid question, I would have thought at least LHR would ans this. Oh well, I can see why people give up, and get upset.

Hello,

I'm guessing the folks at LHR probably have not seen your message yet, or just missed it altogether. Might be better if you give them a call...713-473-6572 (Mondays are usually busiest for most companies...maybe Tuesday would be a better time to call.)

Icutone2
06-14-2010, 01:02 PM
The only stupid question is the one that does not get asked. So I am told.
Lee

TerryT
06-14-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm pretty sure the simplified x gear system has been available for a while now. I installed one in a friends machine awhile back.

bjbethke
06-14-2010, 01:12 PM
[QUOTE=twiceretired;132332]Of the Version C improvements, which ones can we order to improve our working machine?
I know we can order the Carve Tight Spindle System, but what about the other improvements? Will they work on our present 2 year old machine, I think Version B

• Base Reinforcements

I don't think we will know until they come out with a new Parts list and part numbers for the "C" unit. I only can fine the one for the "B" unit.

If the cable Plugs and Jacks fit the new power supply they may work if only the strapping was improved.

I would think the new Board tracking sensor should work.

For around $500.00 plus dollars I think they will improve the old units.

I just replaced some of CW parts in my old “B” model, ordered from sears the part numbers are in the LHR “Parts PDF”, and the CarveTight Spindle System I ordered from LHR. I’m hopping it will last me another two years.

I removed the “Y” truck the first time and found this is the best way to replace the board sensor – I found the cable gets damaged trying to do that while attached to the machine.

On the Base Reinforcements and the Simplified X Gear Drive I would think that would depend on if they made a new casting for the base, the new Z-Truck has a new casting.

Hope this helps.

jaroot
06-15-2010, 09:05 AM
Anybody know the purpose of this:

"The latest CarveWright Version C Machines (also called C-Series, because their serial numbers start with the letter C) will arrive locked. Any operations on this machine will not be possible until it has been “UNLOCKED”. An eight number code is required to unlock the machine. This code will be provided to the customer when they register their machine. If after you have read the following document, you are still experiencing problems, please call Customer Support at 713-473-6572."

lynnfrwd
06-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Of the Version C improvements, which ones can we order to improve our working machine?

• Base Reinforcements

LHR is constantly upgrading and making improvements to the CarveWright System to provide the best possible product for our customers.
Below is a list of common issues and common causes of those issues addressed in the new version C.

Quick Changer Fails – due to misplacement of the bits
Bit wobble and run-out – due to failed QC
Machine arriving un-aligned or damaged – due to shipping
Flexshaft overheating or melting – due to heat buildup and lack of lubrication
Electronic parts failing – due to vibration and stress of shipping
Machine too loud – due to vibration and multiple part spindle
X-drive gears un-aligned or broken – due to over loading the x-drive from too much head pressure or a board that gets wedged
Brand new X- drive gears broke – due to improper or difficult installation
Board not properly measured – due to loss of calibration or color of material

Customers are asking what specific upgrades are available in the new Version C, how do they improve the machine and can they add them to their existing machine? Technically, every upgrade will work with the older machines however it is more a matter of realistically being able to retrofit the machine and whether or not those parts are available by themselves. Some of the upgrade features found in the new Version C are available for your existing machine, some will become available, some will never be available and some are just not necessary, if your machine is currently running properly.

Below is a list of each upgrade found in the new Version C, how it addresses the issues above and whether or not you can upgrade your existing machine with this feature:

CarveTight Spindle System – The CT replaces the QC and is made from a single piece of hardened steel which makes it stiffer, quieter, more robust, and less prone to vibration, heat build-up and run-out. Installation of a bit is not as easy as before with the QC, however it is harder to improperly install a bit. Click HERE (http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/cwcarvetight.htm) for more information. THE CARVETIGHT IS AVAILABLE AS AN UPGRADE TO EXISTING MACHINES.
Base Reinforcement – Reinforcing ribs were added to the base molding. This is also to counter problems we have seen from shipping and tough duty use. The new base has undergone destructive testing to make sure that it is stiffer and less likely to break when tortured. IT IS NOT AVAILABLE AS AN UPGRADE TO EXISTING MACHINES
Vertical Guide Rod Stabilizer Feet – This was added to reduce the frequency of a machine arriving with reduced performance due to the violent process of shipping. These feet significantly stiffen the structure to preserve the factory alignment and head pressure within proper limits. The new structural changes were tested by dropping the packaged machine from five feet on each side of the box and making sure that the head pressure remained within specification. Checking Head Pressure upon arrival is still a suggested practice. THESE ARE NOT AVAILABLE AS AN UPGRADE TO EXISTING MACHINES.
Reinforced Strapping on Power Supply – A solid bracket has been added over the power supply to lessen mechanical stress on the electrical components due to shock loading from shipping and high frequency vibration during use. THESE ARE NOT CURRENLY AVAILABLE AS AN UPGRADE TO EXISTING MACHINES.
Modified Board Tracking Sensor – The geometry of the wheel and the properties of the o-ring have been changed to improve the tracking ability of the sensor that follows along the bottom of the board. Software enhancements also improve the positional accuracy of the sensor. There is also a much simpler user calibration routine which allows the user to account for slight changes in the machine over time and variance in the color of the material you are using. THE MODIFIED BOARD TRACKING SENSOR IS AVAILABLE AS A STANDARD REPLACEMENT PART, BUT NOT NECESSARY IF YOUR MACHINE IS RUNNING CORRECTLY
X-Drive Gear Train Plate – The independent two stage gear train has been replaced by a single gear plate with fixed shafts for the dual gears. This means that there is no more adjustment needed over time and that service is a snap. It also eliminates the problem of gears breaking due to incorrect alignment or incorrect assembly. THIS ITEM IS AVAILABLE AS A STANDARD REPLACEMENT PART, BUT NOT NECESSARY IF YOUR MACHINE IS RUNNING CORRECLTY
Software and Firmware Improvements – The software is frequently being updated. See Change Log (http://www.carvewright.com/update) for details. THESE ARE AVAILABLE BY UPDATING YOUR DESIGNER SOFTWARE.
Heavy Duty Traction Belts – NOTE: These traction belts are not a standard feature with the new Version C, but they are a highly suggested upgrade. They will reduce the likelihood of your belts tearing, because they are made out of a thick rubber material. Occasionally, the sand paper belts would roll towards the LCD panel. This is typically one of the first signs that your head pressure needs to be adjusted. While the rubber belts are guaranteed not to roll on up, you will still need to lubricate the four vertical posts to maintain correct head pressure. The belts also include the new o-ring that improves the tracking ability of the board sensor. THESE ARE AVAILABLE AS AN UPGRADE TO YOUR EXISTING MACHINE.

CarverJerry
06-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the information on the new machine and the options for the older machines for upgrades. Not that I'm having any problems but if needed I now know what route to take if needed.

CJ

Digitalwoodshop
06-17-2010, 02:34 PM
That is a very nice write up on the new features, Thanks You.

Would like to see a D unit be a 24 inch unit....

I like the locking code.... When I was fixing Play Stations for Sony we got a bunch in for repair that were hijacked off a Train in Chicago. We fixed them under warranty because the customers were not at fault. The Show "American Greed" had a story about the kids hopping moving trains and opening cars and tossing out boxes in a organized group. They did not mention the Play Stations but it could have been the same group.

A Play Station Locking Code was talked about to close the loop on stolen units.

The locking code closes the loop on the owner info and any "falling off a truck" will be found quick. I wonder if LHR changed the computer plugs to prevent a old computer from being swapped out.....

So the question to LHR on the C... The C computer must have different firmware with the locking code. Is the computer interchangeable with the older units?

AL

dbfletcher
06-17-2010, 02:46 PM
I would love to see 24" unit as well.. I use a lot of 1/4 sheets mdf (24"x48"). Hmmm.. so maybe i really want to ask for a 25" wide machine to leave room for rails/sleds.

Doug Fletcher

RMarkey
06-18-2010, 09:58 AM
So the question to LHR on the C... The C computer must have different firmware with the locking code. Is the computer interchangeable with the older units?
AL

The C computer is interchangeable to the point that LHR has to program it initially. You cannot switch computers from one machine to another as the calibration & serial number would not be correct for the machine.

The firmware is compatible with all versions of the machine.

easybuilt
06-21-2010, 01:39 AM
Well now we have a new style for our forum, must be because of their new VersionC machine??? Did they ask us if we wanted a change?
Anyway now I have to learn a new way around. So far it looks good.

wgrigsby
06-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the replys guys. I was thinking the new board tracking on the "C" might able to slove a problem I've had several times.

When I run a part that has a cut out as the last opration my machine seens to lose it mind sometimes on one or both ends.
it will leave one or both ends heavy or cut them short. If the carving was a deep one, I know that the board warping can be a problem for the board tracking. But it does this when there is no warping also. Was wondering if the new tracker would help this problem.

Digitalwoodshop
06-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the replys guys. I was thinking the new board tracking on the "C" might able to slove a problem I've had several times.

When I run a part that has a cut out as the last opration my machine seens to lose it mind sometimes on one or both ends.
it will leave one or both ends heavy or cut them short. If the carving was a deep one, I know that the board warping can be a problem for the board tracking. But it does this when there is no warping also. Was wondering if the new tracker would help this problem.

Your board is just loosing contact with the brass roller and moving the board until the contact is made again with the brass roller and the brass roller reads the correct number. The Loss of contact time = the distance that is out of sinc... Look at my posts with pictures from yesterday about this very same topic....

It's User ERROR.... Or Pilot Error causing this.....

Good Luck,

AL

CarverJerry
06-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Does any one on the forum have a new Version C machine yet? What's your feedback on it.

CJ

twiceretired
07-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Thank you, everyone and especially Lynnfrwd for your response. Sorry for the late reply, Savanna GA had called for a little vacation. Lynn’s post was precisely the answer I was looking for. I did upgrade to the Carvetight, looking forward to working with it.

OneTimeWoodcraft
07-11-2010, 02:14 AM
I take it the Carvetight is the same as the rock chuck

mtylerfl
07-11-2010, 07:04 AM
I take it the Carvetight is the same as the rock chuck

You can learn about some of the details/advantages of the CarveTight in this issue of the Tips & Tricks:
ISSUE 29 April 2010 – Announcing the CarveTight (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Apr10.pdf)