PDA

View Full Version : Full Pedestal Lectern slope?

JDPratt
06-09-2010, 02:36 PM
I have been asked to make a full pedestal lectern for a church group. I don't have plans, but I have a pretty good idea what I want to do. The question I have is, what is the angle of slope for the top of the lectern where the bible, speech, notes, etc sits?

John

robbrigg2
06-09-2010, 02:59 PM
JD, I will have to actually check tonight when I am at church but mine is I think about a 20 -25% to sharp and the papers will fall off.. also, from experience it works best with some type of padding (I use carpeting) that will act as a grip and absorbe sound. Don't know if you can use this or not but here is a blue print for a pulpit. It is in DXF format.

JDPratt
06-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Thanks Robb. I appreciate any help you can give. I was thinking somewhere between 15-25 degress. Sorry, I cant open DXF format on this computer. If you check at work, please let me know. Are you saying to put padding on the top where the bible/notes go? Would felt work? How big a lip to keep books from sliding off. I was thinking 1/4" - 1/2" should be plenty. They dont want anything to elaborate. Something along the lines of the attached photo or "to that effect."

robbrigg2
06-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Thanks Robb. I appreciate any help you can give. I was thinking somewhere between 15-25 degress. Sorry, I cant open DXF format on this computer. If you check at work, please let me know. Are you saying to put padding on the top where the bible/notes go? Would felt work? How big a lip to keep books from sliding off. I was thinking 1/4" - 1/2" should be plenty. They dont want anything to elaborate. Something along the lines of the attached photo or "to that effect."

Felt could work but I would think it would wear out easily... I just know with a wooden pulpit (wich is what I have) and an attached microphone (which you should allow for in your design (either a pulpit mic or a gooseneck with a corded mic) any tap creates noise over the PA. The carpet is thick, durable, and sound absorbing. Normally I use a piece of the left over carpet I keep for my church renovations. Usually always some laying around. This way it matches. Only the speaker sees it but it still adds visually.

On the lib no more then 1/2 but I would think the 1/4 would be fine especially at that angle. I use a wing style pulpit which gives two smaller wings off to either side of the central pulpit (like the one you have there) this gives a place for a person to rest their hands, put extra materials etc. They are good for a large pulpit area.

Let me see if I can convert the DVX file for you.

robbrigg2
06-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Oh, you might consider a book light as well... my eyes have a hard time in my church building so I got a nice battery operated one from Harbor Freight that folds down flat when not in use, though a corded one would be better.

And remember that it should have a little shelf under inside, as well as a place for the cords for the mic to run through the top to the hook ups (unless they have a cordless mic system)

And one more thing, when you design the surface for the Bible remember to give them oversized space so a speaker can spread out if needed. Nothing bugs me more then having only enough room for my Bible and then trying to keep my papers and notes straight.

Hope this all helps.

robbrigg2
06-09-2010, 04:04 PM
This is the kind that I perfer... though what I like and $.50 can't even get you a cup of coffee anymore...

Kenm810
06-09-2010, 04:40 PM
robbrigg2's Pedestal Lectern,

Screen Shot of your DFX File

JDPratt
06-09-2010, 04:43 PM
This is the kind that I perfer... though what I like and $.50 can't even get you a cup of coffee anymore...

I like that design, I will ask, but I think they want something a little smaller for what they plan to use it for. I was thinking a top that is about 16" x 20" would be big enough for bible, notes, etc. I need to ask about sound system also. A battery book light is a neat idea. If electric is available, how about rope lighting around the inside edge of the top (like under counter lighting). that way it doesn't stick out for the congregation to see but should shed plenty of light on the lectern itself?

John

JDPratt
06-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Thanks Ken.

robbrigg2
06-09-2010, 04:54 PM
I like that design, I will ask, but I think they want something a little smaller for what they plan to use it for. I was thinking a top that is about 16" x 20" would be big enough for bible, notes, etc. I need to ask about sound system also. A battery book light is a neat idea. If electric is available, how about rope lighting around the inside edge of the top (like under counter lighting). that way it doesn't stick out for the congregation to see but should shed plenty of light on the lectern itself?

John

Rope lights would be great I never thought of that...... most church platforms have a plug in right below where the pulpit goes for stuff like this...

robbrigg2
06-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks Ken, I couldn't do anything with the DXF because I have a program that reads it but will not convert it. I found the files surfing one day and saved it for future when I get a good CAD program.

Kenm810
06-09-2010, 05:05 PM
I just imported your DFX File into CW Designer
to see what it looked like and took a Screen Shot of it to post. :wink:

bjbethke
06-09-2010, 07:04 PM
I opened the DXF file and made a few JPEGs, The pattern gives the sizes.

Eagle Hollow
06-10-2010, 06:24 AM
I've made a couple of pulpits and some lecterns all with 15 degree tops.

JDPratt
06-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Thanks for all the responses. After asking a few more questions of the group that wants this. They do not want it for the pulpit, but for Sunday school classes. They don't want it to big because they want to be able to move it from classroom to classroom. However they did say that they would like a way for a microphone and there will be electric available where they intend to use it.

John