PDA

View Full Version : Compucarve Bits Question

NickMc
06-07-2010, 09:11 PM
I've been slowly talking myself into buying a Carvewright machine, and had been planning to pick up a refurb Compucarve from Sears.com during one of their big tool sales, but I just noticed here that the version C is out so I'm guessing that is the way to go instead....

Here's my question. Awhile back my local Sears was selling the Compucarve basic and edge bit sets for 70% off so I went ahead and bought them in anticipation. But I am totally confused by all of the chuck and adaptor talk and options. Will the Compucarve bits work with a Carvewright model C, or do I need to buy adaptors, or ...?

To anyone that can enlighten me, thanks in advance!

Jeff_Birt
06-07-2010, 09:21 PM
The 1/2" shank bits and 1/4" steel shank bits will work with the adapters for the new chuck. The 1/4" solid carbide bits will not work (the new style have a pressed on adapter.)

Yosserg
06-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Is there a reason the 1/4" split collet (http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=20564&cat=294&page=1) couldn't be used with the old bits after removing the quick chuck adapter on those bits?

The 1/2" shank bits and 1/4" steel shank bits will work with the adapters for the new chuck. The 1/4" solid carbide bits will not work (the new style have a pressed on adapter.)

AskBud
06-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Is there a reason the 1/4" split collet (http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=20564&cat=294&page=1) couldn't be used with the old bits after removing the quick chuck adapter on those bits?
You may use the split collets on all bits, except for the Carving and 1/8 inch cutting bits. They are carbide, and have a known problem with retaining the needed grip with the split collet.
AskBud

Digitalwoodshop
06-08-2010, 06:53 PM
You may use the split collets on all bits, except for the Carving and 1/8 inch cutting bits. They are carbide, and have a known problem with retaining the needed grip with the split collet.
AskBud

I had forgot all about that deal with the split and carbide... I remember reading it here... thanks for the reminder.

AL

rjustice
06-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Just another reminder that the Rock brand Sleeves (collets) work fine with the Rock Chuck system... And this allows you to use any bits that are designed for use with the Carewright machine including the ones found on my website. You can find the info on my website by clicking links below... 1/8, 1/4, and 3/8 sleeves are available.

Happy Carving,

Ron

c6craig
06-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Ron,

Have you thought any about making some bits with the pressed on collars? They would work with the CT and act as built in bit stops for the RC, kind of a win win for everyone. Of course I say that with no manufacturing experience, so I don't know if it would be cost effective for you or not...

Thanks,
Craig

CarverJerry
06-09-2010, 06:32 AM
I know that Ron has suggested this before, it works great, it is repeatable every time and doesn't cost anything. Using a plastic tube that the carving bit comes in, which have ends on it, cut it to length needed for the tool to stick out of the chuck. When changing tools simply use this tube to adjust the length and then tighten chuck. I call it a tool heigth tool. When I have a project that uses both the carving and the 1/8" tools the machine always asks for both tools to do its settings. I just start with the carving bit and fool the machine thinking I have changed tools, this is because I know that the 1/8" tool is going to be exactly the same length as my carving bit. Just keeps me from changing tools during setup. That is if the carving comes first, so be sure. Just my 2 cents worth.

CarverJerry

rjustice
06-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Ron,

Have you thought any about making some bits with the pressed on collars? They would work with the CT and act as built in bit stops for the RC, kind of a win win for everyone. Of course I say that with no manufacturing experience, so I don't know if it would be cost effective for you or not...

Thanks,
Craig

Hi Craig,
I reserve the right to change my mind down the road, but when i first came out with the Rock Chuck, it was my intention to make the sleeves press fit onto the tools. More specifically heat shrink fits... I experimented with it quite a bit as we use this type of tool holder in the mold making business. While i really like the idea, it became apparent that it was definitely not practical to sell to a customer in a kit form. In other words, you purchase a sleeve, then intend on heating it up, and replacing bits in it. It is a difficult process if you dont have the correct equipment. The next thought was to sell the tools with the sleeves already on them like LHR is currently doing. What i found was that if i did them in production, doing dozens of tools at a time, it could be somewhat productive. The problem then becomes holding a lot of inventory, plus the cost of the press on sleeve being added to the cost of the bit. That is why I ended up just selling the universal sleeve. I also eliminated the flats on my carving bits to eliminate any worries about orientation of the flat.

As Jerry mentioned, there are many methods to achieve a bit stop, but at this point it isnt really necesssary. You can eyball the amount that the tool sticks out, and simply hit continue when the machine tells you that the length doesnt match. Just be sure to watch that your bit plate swings out and the bit touches off on it properly.

Hope that makes sense...

Happy Carving,

Ron

mark1945
06-09-2010, 03:22 PM
If the carvetight chuck will hold a 1/2 in bit it should also be able to use 1 of the collets to hold a 1/4 bit.Unless there locking mechanism wont hold.I use the collets all the time with my modified eleminator chucks and with the Muscle chuck.dont have any problems with holding or slipping also have a bit stop inside the chucks that works perfectly .

NickMc
06-16-2010, 07:20 PM
So if I am reading these answers and the forums right, the answer is that I can use the CompuCarve bit sets I bought with the new Carvewright C, but I will have to remove their QuickChange adapters and I will have to buy the 1/4" collet and the rubber stops? And removing the QuickChange adapters is not hard?

jaroot
06-16-2010, 08:27 PM
So if I am reading these answers and the forums right, the answer is that I can use the CompuCarve bit sets I bought with the new Carvewright C, but I will have to remove their QuickChange adapters and I will have to buy the 1/4" collet and the rubber stops? And removing the QuickChange adapters is not hard?

I tried to remove the adapter from a broken cutting bit and did not have a lot of success but I've not tried heat yet. Then this happened Check out my post: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?p=132886#post132886

AskBud
06-16-2010, 08:32 PM
I tried to remove the adapter from a broken cutting bit and did not have a lot of success but I've not tried heat yet. Then this happened Check out my post: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?p=132886#post132886

I found that by placing the assembly on a tin pie place and into an 400 degree oven, for about 10 minutes, will do wonders. When removed from the oven, wear an oven mitt, or use pliers to hold the adapter while you un-screw the 2 screws.
AskBud

jaroot
06-23-2010, 11:55 PM
I found that by placing the assembly on a tin pie place and into an 400 degree oven, for about 10 minutes, will do wonders. When removed from the oven, wear an oven mitt, or use pliers to hold the adapter while you un-screw the 2 screws.
AskBud

Hey Bud!

I did as you suggested except I put it in the BBQ and it worked wonderfully.

Thanks

CarverJerry
06-24-2010, 06:41 AM
Hope it tasted good being BBQ'd.............just kidding..... I used a burnsamatic torch to loosen all of mine, it doesn't take much heat or time and worked just fine.

CJ

radman5506
10-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Howdy All! This is my first post. Bought my Compucarve just last month from a Texan (no problem with that, my grandboys were all born in Texas and I live in Arkansas) and used it to carve a couple of plaques for my sister in law's anniversary and her daughter's wedding.(Forgot to take pictures so can't post them right now) They thought they were great and I was pleased. I was not happy with the Quick Change chuck so I upgraded to the Quicktight. I could not be much happier. But... I have my two v-bits that are still in quick change adapters. I was able to get the set screws out without a problem but now I can not get the bits out of the adapter. I don't want to mess up the bit by trying the "use a bigger hammer method" of removal. I would appreciate any suggestions. I have gotten a lot of insight into the use and capabilities of The Carvewright from this forum and I thank everyone that has posted.

chief2007
10-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Howdy All! This is my first post. Bought my Compucarve just last month from a Texan (no problem with that, my grandboys were all born in Texas and I live in Arkansas) and used it to carve a couple of plaques for my sister in law's anniversary and her daughter's wedding.(Forgot to take pictures so can't post them right now) They thought they were great and I was pleased. I was not happy with the Quick Change chuck so I upgraded to the Quicktight. I could not be much happier. But... I have my two v-bits that are still in quick change adapters. I was able to get the set screws out without a problem but now I can not get the bits out of the adapter. I don't want to mess up the bit by trying the "use a bigger hammer method" of removal. I would appreciate any suggestions. I have gotten a lot of insight into the use and capabilities of The Carvewright from this forum and I thank everyone that has posted.

Apply some heat from a blow dryer or heat gun to the adapter, this will loosen the adhesive and then you should be able to tap them out. I just did 2 this morning.

PS I am form Texas, lol

skeeterman
10-30-2012, 10:52 AM
welcome Radman, you should be able to tap them out, i used a deep well socket and placed adapter over that and tapped bit out.
where abouts in Arkansas you located, I am in the NLR area
steve

radman5506
10-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Thank you Skeeter and Chief I will give your suggestions a try.
When people ask me where I am from I answer "the United States" I have lived from Maine to So California and Washington State to Florida, I been in every state but Minnesota, So I accept anyone from anywhere. We all have something to contribute. I am in South Arkansas now, Camden, Arkansas and have called it home for the last 19 years, got to be home at least twice a year between jobs. Been home now for three years due to health and am really looking forward to learning how to use the Carvewright, the contributions on this forum are really helpful. Hope that I will be able to reciprocate:p. Sorry for the long wind just got carried away.

skeeterman
10-30-2012, 01:35 PM
my son and grandaughters live in Camden.
and i dont know why these words are underlined,
steve

radman5506
10-30-2012, 02:18 PM
It is a small world after all!!

TerryT
10-30-2012, 04:26 PM
I have chipped the shaft end of the bits tapping them with other steel items. If you choose to tap the bit out use a wooden mallet. Heat is the best idea.

radman5506
10-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Thanks Terry
I have been wondering about chipping or deformation, wish I had a brass punch. Maybe a scrap of oak to soften the blow??

fwharris
10-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Use your bench drill, if you have one, to press them out. Use a bold/screw,just smaller than the bit, with the head cut off. Make sure you place a couple of rags underneath to catch the bits..

radman5506
10-30-2012, 08:19 PM
Thanks, so many ideas one of them is sure to work. Will try them and see which works and share the results.

radman5506
10-31-2012, 09:49 AM
All righty then, I took last night to sleep on all the suggestions for removing the bits from my QC adapters I got and decided I did not want to chance damaging my bits. It occured to me something like a gear puller would work. I do not have one and was pretty sure if I looked I could find one on the internet, "It has everything". This being a one time thing I did not want the expense. After that I thought hyraulic press again did not have one or think it was something I needed, so I went with the idea of the drill press and socket. First problem was that the 90 degree v-bit was the same diameter as the adapter bit so the bit would not sit on the socket so I could push it out with the drill press. Then I got the idea to use the QC bit removal tool and its fork went around the bit and held it on top of the socket so I could use the drill press to push the bit out using a rod that was slightly less than 1/4" bit shaft diameter. The bits had just a little rust on their shafts which came off with a fine grit abrasive, scotchbrite pad, and they fit right into th 1/4" to 1/2" adapter for the carve tight. Hope this helps somebody else.
Now Going to make some saw dust :)!!
Tom

fwharris
10-31-2012, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the update and good to hear you are on your way to making some saw dust. I did forget about some of the bit profile and did something very similar to you to get them pressed out. What you saw as rust (just guessing now) was actually the red loctite used.