PDA

View Full Version : Another Board Sensor question

gwhiz
06-06-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm getting a Clear Board Sensor error. The sensor is clean when checked with a mirror and I went through the troubleshooting steps in the manual and it all checks out. I get a reading of about 145 from the Pine project board and 150 from a white sheet of paper. The reading is zero when the sensor is off the board.

I've read the dozens of 'board sensor' threads here, but haven't found a resolution when the readings are good but it won't proceed. Tried different types of boards with no luck.

One concern is that when I loaded this project to the card it asked if I wanted to update the firmware and it wrote a firmware update to the card---1.164 I think (yep--I should have paid more attention!). I didn't notice it load that to the machine, but I'm not sure how that works...fairly new to the CW.

I haven't removed the sensor given that the readings are good. What's next!?

Old Salt
06-06-2010, 07:32 PM
ck wire conections look for lose fittings

Kenm810
06-06-2010, 07:34 PM
A while back, a few folks found if they were getting good readings
form the Board Sensor and still got an error message,
it was from low roller pressure. -- It's just a thought, but worth checking

Digitalwoodshop
06-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Using options check the status of the rollers, compressed and un compressed... One could be sticking.

Board cut 90 degrees?

Using the white paper test move you FSC Cable in the back watch for flicker in reading. Could be a cracked copper wire in the FSC Cable and is making and breaking....

What color wood when fails?

AL

gwhiz
06-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Using options check the status of the rollers, compressed and un compressed... One could be sticking.

Board cut 90 degrees?

Using the white paper test move you FSC Cable in the back watch for flicker in reading. Could be a cracked copper wire in the FSC Cable and is making and breaking....

What color wood when fails?

AL

Thanks for the input guys. Rollers checked out fine. I waded through the set up menus--didn't change anything--and then told it to measure the board width again.....and it did!

I didn't get to checking the wires or connections. I cycled the machine off and on to see if I could recreate the problem, but the gremlin appears to be gone for now. I'll start it carving in the morning and see if it happens again.

mikemel
07-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Board ensor errore are my least favorite thing about this machine. Mine are sometimes caused by not having a clean edge near the brass roller. This often happens when I am using a carrier board and the material is not lined up perfectly along the near edge of the carrier. The machine then fails to see a clean edge. The machine may tell you this... When you get a Clear Board Sensor message, press the STOP button and an Edge Detect Failure message may be displayed. Good luck

Mikemel

dcalvin4
07-12-2010, 07:06 PM
When this happens to me i put some masking tape on the sides [width] and across both ends ,,makes the senor see the end of board easier
denny