PDA

View Full Version : Board width override?

djarboe
06-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Just starting a new carving on a 7" wide board. When the machine measures it, it says the board is 6.966", or 0.034" too narrow (this is only about a 0.5% difference). My design has lots of allowance/clearance on the sides, so this small difference is insignificant.

However, the machine only offers me two options: 1) scale the pattern to the board size, or 2) put in a new board.

While scaling the pattern to the board size would not make a great deal of difference, this carving has to match a previous one.

Is there anyway to have the machine ignore this small difference and just proceed?

Or, should I redo my pattern using a smaller board width? (ugh)

c6craig
06-06-2010, 10:04 AM
That close, you can either resize your project board, or try hanging a little piece of masking tape off the side where it measures. That will give you the tiny bit extra. Otherwise you could tape or hot glue a little slice on the end.

Good luck,
Craig

djarboe
06-06-2010, 10:34 AM
That close, you can either resize your project board, or try hanging a little piece of masking tape off the side where it measures. That will give you the tiny bit extra. Otherwise you could tape or hot glue a little slice on the end.

Good luck,
Craig
Craig, the only problem with that approach is that it is too easy. :)

Yup, taped a thin piece of scrap to the side and located this to the width measurement position... The machine was happy, and carving is now underway.

Don't know why I didn't think of this. I've used rails with tape across the ends to fool the machine on board length. DUH! :oops:

Thanks!

c6craig
06-06-2010, 10:37 AM
LOL Glad it worked for ya. Sometimes when we are standing in front of the machine the idea we need seems to wander just out of reach :)

Craig

Dan-Woodman
06-06-2010, 10:42 AM
You can also measure the board first before starting a project in designer.
later Daniel

DocWheeler
06-06-2010, 11:14 AM
djarboe,

This is a prime example of why many of us make the Designer board the same size as the carving area (or just a little bit bigger).
Since the firmware does not look at the size of the "carve area" and only works with the Designer board size, it does not know that it would all right to go ahead and accept a narrower board.

JDPratt
06-07-2010, 08:52 AM
As long as you know that you have plenty of room between the edge of the carve and the side of the board (the software will tell you if you don't) just tell designer that the board dimensions are 6.85" or something like that. When I am working with a board that I measure as 6", I take into account that the machine may come up with something slightly different, I just enter 5.9" or 5.8" into designer measurements. That way if it is shorter than 6" I am covered and if it is measured as 6" or more I can just enter "keep original size". Of course, this is provided you have enough board between the carve and edge for the rollers.