PDA

View Full Version : 3d Scanner and oval objects

Shawn Gillies
11-20-2006, 04:47 AM
Well this might be a bit to early to be posting a question since the scanner is just on the marker but....I've made the sled but when i try to scan a piece which is not square but made of arcs and more oval shaped the manual says to jog to the corners diagonally and i tried to pick out all kinds of different points but the screen keeps coming back to the start for scanning. I haven't had time to try a rectangular or square shape yet but am wondering what the process for this situation would be.

Shawn

BobHill
11-20-2006, 09:35 AM
Shawn,

Since carvings are only RASTER images, I'm guessing that by establishing the corners you are setting the rectangular boundaries for the scanner to use as it's digital raster image establishment. Doing more than two is over-doing it and completely un-necessary as well as perhaps confusing to the scanner's software. Try the two corners and everything within those rectangular perameters will be included in the scan, regardless of it's shape(s). Just like a photo scanner works, except instead of a prob doing it in 2+zD the photo scanner does it with a flowing set scanner, also producing a rectangle raster image.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

cmorlier
11-20-2006, 09:49 AM
What it should do is first, allow you to jog the position to one corner of the scanning area. When you hit enter to accept the first point, it will lower the bit to surface to allow you to verify your starting position. If you are happy with the first point, hit enter again to accept it. If you want to change the point, use the arrow key to adjust the positions.

Once you hit the enter key (the second time) to accept the first point, you will be prompted to move to the second point. So just repeat the process of the first point.

If this is not what you are seeing, can you describe in more detail what it is doing? For example what messages are you seeing on the display?

For none rectangular scans, the import software will allow you remove the background so that your pattern appears the same shape as the original piece.

Shawn Gillies
11-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Well i think the problem is that i'm scanning objects thicker than one inch.
I tried gluing blocks on the two ends that serve as my datum points but as soon as the scanner needle reachs a cut out (scanning a guitar body)i get the ERROR 246/Z Axis Stall.

What am i supposed to do, build up a surface around the whole object so it's 1" or less thick?

How would you scan a corbel that's 4" thick and wanted to copy a design on the ends?

S.G

Shawn Gillies
11-20-2006, 11:14 PM
Just thinking here and maybe the idea is incorporated already...let's say your scanning a surface and in this case a 1 3/4" thick guitar and say that the surface details were a half inch deep. Could you set up the machine to only read negative one half inch instead of the probe hanging up on the objects edge?
If this is already part of the set up i have seem to missed it and would sure like to know how to go about setting this up. In my case the surface is flat with no detail and i was hoping to carve a dome shape onto the guitar surface.

Shawn,

cmorlier
11-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Hi Shawn,

The probe was designed to scan things that the machine would carve, so the depth limitation was not really considered a problem.

For the few objects that we have scanned internally, with a depth greater than the probe can handle, we have built blocking up to a safe depth all around the workpiece. However, I completely agree that this solution is not acceptable for the long term.

So we will add a feature which will optionally allow a maximum scanning depth to be set. I can't yet say when this will be available, but I think this feature will be fairly high on our development list.