PDA

View Full Version : Several Z stalls?

want2b
06-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Had not used the carver for several weeks, did several short scans last week that I posted with no problem. Started a larger piece and got "Z stall error 309" while using Best. Cleaned everything in sight but still failed(did not go into the encoder). Tried on Normal and scan went thru OK. Tried another large piece yesterday and got the failure approx 1/4 way on Normal. Just for kicks decided to try a carve. Removed probe, put in 1/6 bit and started a 3 hr 20 min run. Board was 1x8x20", carve was 7x12.5", using Rock chuck. Carve went OK until it lifted at the very end with nothing left to carve, "Z stall error 299" Seems in some strange way to be time related but the scans failed approx 1 hr in, the carve actually was done, just not homed.
Will re-clean tomorrow and try again, just wondered if anybody had run into similar trbl?

Thx, Rick H.

DocWheeler
06-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Rick,

Make sure that your rollers are not frozen, that the rails are clean (even in the area that is hard to reach between the top and bottom rollers), and make sure that the screw with a spring is tight (that tensions the Z-belt).

ruggybear
06-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Agree with Ken (doc). I was experiencing Y and Z stall errors and finally broke the Y timing belt. Ordered the belt and when I went to replace it I found questionabe bearings on the Y truck. Since I had the Y truck removed with the Z truck still attached I decided to remove the Z truck to inspect the bearings.

Bottom line is that I am in the process of replacing 6 of the 8 bearings that exist on these trucks. All four on the Z truck and two on the Y truck. Three were frozen or almost frozen and three are questionable so as long as it is apart I will replace those as well. Bearings are two types and cost $10.00 each.

robandpat
06-14-2010, 09:23 AM
We've been experiencing several Z-axis stalled errors as well. Took the machines apart, cleaned all areas including disc, check ribbon cables, etc. but still get Z-axis stalled error and the Z-truck gets very hot. Any other suggestions on how to resolve these issues is appreciated.

DocWheeler
06-14-2010, 09:32 AM
robandpat,

If the Z-truck is running hot, I'd suspect that lube from the flex shaft has gotten into the ceramic bearings, this is not good. Take off the "top-hat" where the flex shaft pops into the Z-truck and wipe the oil off the top bearing - maybe you can save it.

As for the errors, the advice given above about covers that.