PDA

View Full Version : Carvewrght rev "C"

dbfletcher
06-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Anyone know what the "modified board tracking sensor" is refering to?

Doug Fletcher

Digitalwoodshop
06-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Anyone know what the "modified board tracking sensor" is refering to?

Doug Fletcher

For our friends that did not get the email yet..... http://carvewright.com/2010CWweb/cwproducts.htm?jmid=579&j=248187844

Would like to see the Parts breakdown for Rev "C" to see what has changed.

Could be something radical.... Time will tell.

Bet they did something with the C1 Cap too on the X Termination Board....

They mention the power supply strap too.... I wonder if it is to hold the L2 Coil?

I am glad they copied the ROCK design and made it better being one piece.

Good Job RON.... Leading the way with Innovation.

I think the Rev "C" is just a marketing tool to generate excitement and separate the first 2 versions.

I ran into the new Laser Guy in my Neighborhood this weekend and he spent $20K Plus on a 60 Watt Laser. When I asked him about getting a CW, he said his research has shown it to be very unreliable.... He wouldn't even consider it.... I tried to tell him.... With all the latest fixes and a ROCK or CT it was a GREAT Machine..... He wanted nothing to do with it.... I bet there are a great many that were turned off over the years....

Drawing a line in the SAND or SAWDUST is what the Rev "C" does....

GOOD LUCK with the marketing !!!!

A Strong LHR makes me HAPPY.... I will be able to get parts 5 years from now....

AL

spalted
06-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Al,

I think your right about LHR trying to define a line and show that they have work through their problems.

I wanted to buy something else, but couldn't afford it. I have no regrets so far, owning one for a few months.

Oh wait, one regret........ I wish I had waited until the upgrade to buy one.

But the Rock Chuck is serving me very well.
But I still have to dump another 100 for the heavy duty traction belt.

dmede
06-02-2010, 07:24 PM
I'm one of those guys whose been turned off by the maintenance issues with the CW. I know they've made improvements over time but I've still been wary about buying specifically because they don't separate versions of the machine by model number/name and production date. It's no different than any other product that evolves over time, you need to use designations in name to help consumers categorize the models, their features and their flaws. I think it's great that they have made this designation as well as the improvements.

Wild Bill
06-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Al,

I think your right about LHR trying to define a line and show that they have work through their problems.

Worked through their problems and then they offer a 10 hour warranty?? I think the line in the sand is: after 10 hours our problems are your problems!

hess
06-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Worked through their problems and then they offer a 10 hour warranty?? I think the line in the sand is: after 10 hours our problems are your problems!

I just saw that! Man you have to pay for the years warranty!! That would have screwed me, it took me a long time to work out the kinks 90 days seems too little for a unit that cost this much.

Now lets see you have to pay pass 90 days, You have to pay for support after Warranty also. I guess you better buy the thing and beat the crap out of it in 90 days so you can get it worked on.

Sorry LHR I supported you on the support issue and bought into it but you really need to stand behind your product for a year like before. units are still coming out of the box bad, better but still bad. Making a new user kick up more money up front just for something they should get seems poor business when we have the problems we do today.:confused:

This kinda leave a bad taste in my mouth have 4 units maybe it is time to get a different hobby

robbrigg2
06-03-2010, 12:49 AM
In regard to the board tracking... if this is the unit that I was shown on a visit to LHR a few months back (which I am sure it is) it has a strap like mechanism that attaches to either end of the board... there is no rubber ring... the strap ensures proper measurements at all times... variations in the surface of the wood are not an issue with this change... it looked great to me.. but I'm not ready to buy one...:roll:

TIMCOSBY
06-03-2010, 02:33 AM
sell sell sell

Pratyeka
06-03-2010, 05:59 AM
In regard to the board tracking... if this is the unit that I was shown on a visit to LHR a few months back (which I am sure it is) it has a strap like mechanism that attaches to either end of the board... there is no rubber ring... the strap ensures proper measurements at all times... variations in the surface of the wood are not an issue with this change... it looked great to me.. but I'm not ready to buy one...:roll:

I'd like to have more details on that board tracking system. A strap like thingy? how long a board can it track? How will it handle wood dust?

c6craig
06-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly care for the way they have structured their pricing, but I don't think it is that different.

The machine is $1599 and the 1yr warranty is $200, add traction belts, brings it to $1899. Isn't that what the machine cost before?? REMEMBER - This is a NEW machine they are selling now, not the refurb specials that we got used to seeing the lower price on.

I see much more downside to this structure than benefit though. A guy like AL that can fix anything and has parts on hand may choose to save the 200 bucks and get another machine. But I think many more people will overlook or not unnderstand how important that warranty is and soon be looking at some very expensive repairs out of pocket.

I think they should leave the price what it was and if someone ASKS to drop the warranty let it be an option. You can't tell me with the track record of this machine that they are so confident that it will not fail that they feel the warranty is optional. As we all know, 30 days doesn't mean anything when you can eat up 10 hours in one POM or good sized carve.

My opinion only...

Craig

Digitalwoodshop
06-03-2010, 10:13 AM
sell sell sell

I was thinking the VERY SAME THING...... My poor 3 M Stock....

The high point is there are thousands of machines out there still in need of the masking tape rack and pinion brass roller to board fix..... LOL....:mrgreen:

BUY BUY BUY......

AL Ways

AL Who

jlovchik
06-03-2010, 11:34 AM
LHR's new pricing structure is based on our confidence in the new machines. We dropped the price point so customers have more options in the way they buy the product. There is even a 2 year warranty option for this machine! We completely stand behind the machine and it's quality. The product in the stores will still come with the standard 1 year warranty, but at CarveWright.com we are allowing as many configuration possibilities as a customer could want. Customers have more choice in how they buy the product, nothing more.

Hope that clears some things up.

c6craig
06-03-2010, 11:53 AM
LHR's new pricing structure is based on our confidence in the new machines. We dropped the price point so customers have more options in the way they buy the product. There is even a 2 year warranty option for this machine! We completely stand behind the machine and it's quality. The product in the stores will still come with the standard 1 year warranty, but at CarveWright.com we are allowing as many configuration possibilities as a customer could want. Customers have more choice in how they buy the product, nothing more.

Hope that clears some things up.

jlovchik,

Thanks for posting, the more information we can get the better off we are. I don't agree that a 30 day 10 hour warranty is really standing behind your product, but I understand where you are coming from. More options are better, but I think they should be standard with the option to drop items, instead of having to intentionally add them on. This will help cover the new to CW people that may not know better.

Where can we find out more specific information on C revision changes such as the "modified board tracking sensor" and other items listed?

Also, will these parts be available to retrofit to an existing non C version machine?

Thanks in advance for your reply,
Craig

Digitalwoodshop
06-03-2010, 12:12 PM
No matter how you look at this, it is all GOOD news..... The machine is now at a point where many more users will have a Warranty Option that fits them.

With a CarveTite or ROCK there is a lot less "Shaking going ON" and coupled with the improvements listed the Rev "C" is the Cat's Meow....

Many of us already have most of the fixes and as you notice in the Troubleshooting Section there are not all that many posts of problems.

Left cover Switches, Y Bearings, and Hot Spindle Bearings.

As we are learning, 500 hours is the new target to change the Y Gear Box Bearings. 250 hours is the Cut Motor Brush Replacement time, Lube the Flex when it is warm, petting it once a day to monitor the temp.

The glued board detector, glued L2, glued C1 are all fixes that are more preventive.

Coupled with a dust collection system... You have a great reliable system...

If LHR can only come up with a 4th axis sled and the software.... Great release for CHRISTMAS...... Ho Ho Ho.....

AL:mrgreen:

lynnfrwd
06-03-2010, 12:33 PM
The upgrade from a Standard Option (bought from us or from dealer) to Extended Option is $400.00. It does not add 2 years more years to your 1 year or 400 more hours to your 200 hours. It is up to 2 years or 400 carving hours.

For example:
Customer purchases a machine on July 1, 2010 from XYZ company with Standard (1 year/200 hours) Warranty.

89 days later, the customer decides to purchase the Extended Warranty from LHR ($400.00).

The warranty will expire July 1, 2012 or at 400 hours; whichever comes first.

lynnfrwd
06-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Thank you lynnfrwd,

Can you respond to my post #19 in this thread about where I can find more detailed information on the new C revision parts, such as the modified board tracking sensor?

Thanks,
Craig

I don't know of any written information that includes more detail. I will have to find out or we will have to create it.

c6craig
06-03-2010, 01:31 PM
I don't know of any written information that includes more detail. I will have to find out or we will have to create it.

OK Thanks.

Craig

robbrigg2
06-03-2010, 02:07 PM
I'd like to have more details on that board tracking system. A strap like thingy? how long a board can it track? How will it handle wood dust?

Wish I could say more but I don't know. The machine I saw was a prototype and didn't even have the covers. Sorry... but it was much more robust.. or should I say beefy

lawrence
06-03-2010, 07:12 PM
One more thing to throw out for the military members out there-- if you buy through AAFES they will sell you a carvewright and offer a 2-year warranty for an additonal $69. Their warranty service will cover anything not covered by the manufacturer during that time (excluding consumables), will pay shipping (you take the machine to the store) and will replace the item if needed. I was very careful to ask the right questions and get the right documentation when I purchased my carvewright.

Another option for some folks may be the warranty offered through your credit card companies. Many (my USAA mastercard for example) companies will give you an extended warranty if you make a purchase through them. I have used this in one instance when a company gave me a hard time about honoring a warranty they said was out... the mastercard lawyers cleared things up in a hurry and though it took a couple of months-- I got a new DVD player.

I'm not at all casting stones, but just showing some of the other options there are for warranties for folks out there-- once again, I appreciate the support LHR is giving us--as well as the options they are offering for their machine. I'd rather choose whether to have a warranty or not (and whether to pay for it or not) than be forced to pay it in the base price. (with the possible exception of ridgid tools... their tools cost less, last longer, and are covered with a LIFETIME warranty... I've used it 4 times and it was so easy it was unbelievable (bushings on a router, fence on a table saw, handle on a router, and plastic thingy on a spindle sander)

Lawrence

TIMCOSBY
06-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Wish I could say more but I don't know. The machine I saw was a prototype and didn't even have the covers. Sorry... but it was much more robust.. or should I say beefy

was a little wider....ppppllleeeaaasssee

Azbear
06-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Al,

I wanted to buy something else, but couldn't afford it. I have no regrets so far, owning one for a few months.

Oh wait, one regret........ I wish I had waited until the upgrade to buy one.

But the Rock Chuck is serving me very well.
But I still have to dump another 100 for the heavy duty traction belt.

I agree with that one!