PDA

View Full Version : question for LG

eelamb
06-01-2010, 08:13 AM
LG or anyone else, when I had trouble with the z axis stall, I removed the back plastic cover from the z axis motor. there is a plastic disk, with a reading sensor on one side. Is this the encoder? I used to repair printers back in the day when they were worth repairing. On the inkjets is an encoder strip behind the print head. this strip has lines on it which are read by the printhead as it moves across the x axis. By counting the lines, the printer knows exactly where it is at on the paper. This is why I was asking if the plastic disk was an encoder, the computer reads to know the position of the z trunk as it moves up and down.

liquidguitars
06-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Eddie,
yes that it..

If your z pack encoder is bad your better off just replacing the motor with a fresh one, I had zero luck cleaning them in the past. The dirt can be a sign of other issues. also if you have not replaced the QC with the carve tight or Rock nows a good time.

Check the z trucks bearings for a smooth action. I move the truck up and down with the power off and check the bearings for movement a dirty one will stick. I use wd40 sometimes to clean them. a good sign of a bad bearing is the z truck acting jerky as it checks the bit depth.

also make sure that the FCC cable is in good shape and plugged in all the way.

LG

Jcpb321
06-01-2010, 10:02 AM
LG or anyone else!

I did like you said moving the z truck up and down slowly, yep, I think you found my 313 error, there is a bump like and it is in the same spot.

Question is "Is it the bearings in front of the z truck or the bearings in the z truck motor????

John

liquidguitars
06-01-2010, 10:09 AM
front of the z truck housing "not the motor" 4 ea .. make sure the the bearing turn freely..

Jcpb321
06-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Yes sir when I slowly move it up it is almost like there is a dent in the rails so I need to replace those bearings correct. I would rather get the rock chuck but depending on the cost of these bearings is the factor now!

Thank you, John

Digitalwoodshop
06-01-2010, 10:48 AM
There is a no mans land between the upper and lower bearings of the Z Truck that is hard to clean. You need to shove a solvent soaked rag between the bearings and move the chuck up and down. Wipe all rails and wipe all bearings while moving up and down. Blow out the belt and cog area. Check the mounting screws on the motor too.

AL

Icutone2
06-01-2010, 10:58 AM
If you get the new Z truck it comes with the bearings and tools req for the change.
Just my thought.
Lee

Jcpb321
06-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Al,
I used acetone soaked rag after placing 1/4" plywood and a towel underneath, did the blow out with the ac and still I have a definite stop about 1" from the bottom then slightly about 3/16 another not as bad bump an again about the same distance. I can see I definitly have a problem with it. Anything else to check?

John

alan.galbraith
06-01-2010, 11:34 AM
My experience has been if you want a z truck without the QC or Carvetight, you will have to buy a refurb unti. Which I now found out, is not under any kind of warranty. But, I will say, since the salesperson quoted me a 1 year warranty, LHR emailed me and said they will fix mine at no cost.

Jcpb321
06-01-2010, 12:23 PM
If you get the new Z truck it comes with the bearings and tools req for the change.
Just my thought.
Lee

Thanks Lee,
that may be the alternative, reading the change to the carvetight it appears if I am having trouble with the bearings it may be the cheaper way to go since the tools are included even with the cost of new bits although I am really against being locked in to buying from them also!

Alan,
I am not sure it would be worth it to buy a refurb z truck and then also the rock chuck, now if I already had a rock that would be a consideration.

Good thing I don't jump every time I think I need something cause I almost bought a rock chuck 2 weeks ago but I wanted some extra money for boating this past weekend, with 4 grandkids who like water skiing its a good idea to have money for gas if I want the yard mowed and things done around here.

John

alan.galbraith
06-01-2010, 01:22 PM
I did end up buying a new z truck with the carvetight upgrade. I did a short simple carve just to make sure everything is working. It seems to work just fine. I also bought the carving bit and cutoff bit. $263 with shipping and handling.

Jcpb321
06-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks for all the ideas people.

I went back out, cleaned everything again and when I reinserted the probe it wouldn't go in all the way and there was a bunch of slop, I was hoping this has not been the problem but it appears that it was, I turned the probe 180 degrees and it seemed to fit tight and no slop.

I just did a scan of an hour and 15 minutes and it did not give me an error, upon completion I did apply paint to make sure I put it in the same next time!

Again I am thankful for the assistance I received here!

John