PDA

View Full Version : Carving both sides

Aaron B
11-13-2006, 05:35 PM
I am doing a carving on both sides in the software. The first one I did centered in both directions same way the the back side. Now I need to move BOTH sides at the same time down to the end of the board to make room for more copies. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks

Dan-Woodman
11-20-2006, 04:15 PM
Aaron
The only way I have done it before is to drill holes in the software frontside for locators, then alian the rearside to a known location with the locators, after alianment delete the locator holes later Daniel

Greybeard
11-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Aaron - If you use the "layout/centre " control to position your carving while you perform your design, when you want to move it one end of the board click on layout/centre again and it will remove the constraint. You can then reposition the design, and just use the "centre vertically". When you come to move it, group it if you haven't already done so :)
I think you will need to give it an attachment to one end of the board, then when you flip over to the other side, repeat the process, giving the reverse design the same size attachment to that same end.

Hope this helps,
John

Dan-Woodman
11-20-2006, 05:13 PM
John
Is there any easy way to learn all this computor language for a long time woodworker and shortime computor novice other than playing around with it.
Like layouts and attachments,rout tool,trim tool, align left& right

Greybeard
11-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Dan, I have to confess that I do have the advantage of spending my working life solving other people's problems, all technical I hasten to add.
(My wife always said I was good with machines, but pretty hopeless with people. :wink: )

So the first thing I did after discovering that it was going to be some time before I would be able to get a 240 volt cw, was to print out all the help files.
It comes to about 50 pages, and isn't formatted with page breaks !

The other advantage I have is that I can learn from manuals. Perhaps having a machine would actually slow down the learning process - if I was trying out something for real rather than just playing with the software I'd be waiting for something to go wrong !
This way, I keep on repeating the steps till I get what I want. Trial and error often throws up bits of information that isn't in the manuals, like my post above about clicking a second time on the centering command to release it.
Regards
John

Dan-Woodman
11-20-2006, 09:47 PM
John
Thanks for all the great help,from all of us.

BobHill
11-21-2006, 07:46 AM
And, since the information isn't in page format for practical printing, would anyone be interested in having one (in PDF format) that is printable?

Bob

Greybeard
11-21-2006, 08:13 AM
Definitely Bob - half my pages have bottom and top lines cut in half, and I'd like to print on both sides of the paper :D

Dont worry, I'll recycle the original print.
Regards
John

BobHill
11-21-2006, 08:19 AM
It'll take a little time, but otherwise consider it done.

Bob