PDA

View Full Version : Colonial Eagle Patriot Box- Project of the Month

mtylerfl
05-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month, the "Colonial Eagle Patriot Box". This is to provide a few details beforehand so subscribers will have time to "gather" the materials, etc. if they want to do this project.

This project features a Colonial-style eagle relief carving on the lid and five-point star accents on the box sides to enhance the overall patriotic theme.The project requires no special bits and the main components are carved and cut out with just the two standard bits that came with your machine.

The finished dimensions of the assembled Colonial Eagle Patriot Box are about 13½" wide x 7¾" deep x 6" tall.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• Colonial_Box_Sides.mpc
• Colonial_Box_Top.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Box_Sides: .75" x 11.125" x 28”
Box_Top: .75" x 9.25" x 20"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

Cut the following piece to size (not an mpc)
Box Bottom: .75" x 6.25" x 10.25"

3) Hinge(s) for lid - your choice
(I used a Brainerd 8" piano hinge # 1268XC from www.hardwareworld.com (http://www.hardwareworld.com))

4) Wood chisel and/or miniature router attachment for your rotary tool for creating a hinge mortise.

5) Sandpaper, box clamp (strap), wood glue, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

6) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my Colonial Eagle Patriot Box made from Select Pine:

• one very light coat of thinned Bullseye Sealcoat
(2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)
• sanded again with very fine sandpaper & Dremel
• Minwax English Chestnut #233 stain
• three coats Krylon Clear Gloss Acrylic spray
• three coats Minwax water-based Satin polycrylic
• Gold Rub-N-Buff to accent select details

c6craig
05-30-2010, 09:10 PM
THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!! Thanks MT, I was hoping for a new box :mrgreen:

This will be the first test of my new CarveTight.

Craig

mtylerfl
05-30-2010, 10:39 PM
THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!! Thanks MT, I was hoping for a new box :mrgreen:

This will be the first test of my new CarveTight.

Craig

Thanks, Craig! I ran this project on my machine with the CarveTight chuck also.

unitedcases
05-31-2010, 01:23 AM
That is sharp! That looks like a excellent gift for any military service member. I cannot wait to give it a try. Amazing work and well suited to come out around Memorial Day.

OOHRAH!!!

Smoken D
05-31-2010, 09:32 AM
That is REALLY REALLY NICE MT!!
Gonna have fun with that one. Will probably do it in Cherry maybe Walnut. :-D

LittleRedWoodshop
05-31-2010, 09:53 AM
I am planning to build a blanket chest to put my dads military gear in ... that box will be a perfect addition and also helped me pick a theme. Your box will be used to display his awards and dog tags (all the little stuff that gets lost in a large box).

Thank you and God Bless Michael you are truly awesome.

mtylerfl
05-31-2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks again, all! I appreciate your encouragement!

b.sumner47
05-31-2010, 09:34 PM
MT, Thank You, You always make the start of every month something to look forward to. Thank You , Capt Barry

Griz64
06-01-2010, 02:07 AM
Where does one get gold rub n buff????

Kenm810
06-01-2010, 06:30 AM
You can order it from places like "Blick Art Materials" or pick it up at most Craft stores
http://www.dickblick.com/products/amaco-rub-n-buff-metallic-finishes/

mtylerfl
06-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Where does one get gold rub n buff????

Hi Griz64,

I got mine from our local "Michael's Arts and Crafts", but as Ken mentioned, it is available from "Blick Art Materials" online, and elsewhere. I actually planned to use my Krylon Gold paint marker, but the rub-n-buff was easier/quicker/neater for me. I also considered applying traditional gold leaf, but chickened out! (I am still debating whether to go ahead and "gild" the Eagle itself on my box.)

liquidguitars
06-01-2010, 08:01 AM
MT, Realy nice design and finished project, looks like the new spindle is working well for you 2!

LG

CarverJerry
06-01-2010, 11:39 AM
I really like your box MT. Can't wait to get it and give it a try. When do the email these notices out?

CJ

Icutone2
06-01-2010, 12:10 PM
I found mine at wal-mart Kraft area.
Lee

rcdages
06-01-2010, 01:21 PM
To Michael,

To my way of thinking and viewing, your Colonial Eagle Patriot Box is,
OUTSTANDING_____Each project surpasses the previous (POM)

I am sure there are many that feel the same way.

Keep up the Outstanding design work, you have helped and inspired many of us.

Thank you Michael,

robert
rcdages

Griz64
06-04-2010, 02:51 AM
Thanks guys for the info on the rub n buff. I need to give this stuff a try. I love the effect it gives.

henry1
06-04-2010, 04:44 AM
Were the progect jene 3 and still no progect what is happenning ????

henry1
06-04-2010, 04:45 AM
meant june 3 spelling is bad this morning

RayTrek
06-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Hi Michael,
Your projects built, are treasures that will be replicated and cherished for years to come, way beyond OK! Cheers to you and thank you.
Ray

lynnfrwd
06-04-2010, 11:31 AM
The Project of the Month was sent this morning around 10:00 AM CST.

Thanks!:-D

c6craig
06-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Can someone that has received the POM please tell me how the sides are laid out? Are they one run for the full set or two? In other words, do I need two boards cut for sides or one? I'm just trying to figure out what wood I have to cover all the dimensions...

• Colonial_Box_Sides.mpc
• Colonial_Box_Top.mpc

Thanks,
Craig

woodsnwaters
06-04-2010, 02:48 PM

Lynn,

You may want to double check on this status because I have not receive the POM as of yet. I know LHR has been making some changes on their server so there may be a problem with the emails as well.

mostlycold
06-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Michael,

I just renewed my POM for another year and was wondering if you have this project out already, or if my renewal hasn't gotten into the sytem yet (renewed last month)?

Thanx for the great projects - worth every penny,
Dan

henry1
06-04-2010, 05:44 PM

never got it I wounder about LHR now if it was other way around they'd cut us off:confused:

Fardoche
06-04-2010, 08:53 PM
I didn't got my POM yet is this normal ??

mtylerfl
06-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Can someone that has received the POM please tell me how the sides are laid out? Are they one run for the full set or two? In other words, do I need two boards cut for sides or one? I'm just trying to figure out what wood I have to cover all the dimensions...

• Colonial_Box_Sides.mpc
• Colonial_Box_Top.mpc

Thanks,
Craig

Hi Craig,

The four sides are laid out on the one board. (Three boards total...sides, top, bottom)

c6craig
06-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Hi Craig,

The four sides are laid out on the one board. (Three boards total...sides, top, bottom)

Excellent! Thanks MT, I have just the board to use then :)

Craig

Chief38
06-05-2010, 04:57 PM
June 5. any one get theirs yet?

CarverJerry
06-05-2010, 05:03 PM
No not yet Chief, I think we're all waiting

CJ

Hexe SA
06-06-2010, 03:01 PM
and it is June 6 and it was not available on my account listing for download.
Eva

lynnfrwd
06-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Sorry, for some reason our system stopped sending the POM half way through the list of subscribers. They should all be received within the next 30 hour.

Also, check your customer account, it should now be there as well. If you still have received it by lunchtime, please let us know.

Sorry:oops:

swhitney
06-07-2010, 10:43 AM
FYI - POM received and "licenses" fine

chebytrk
06-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Just got mine too! Ain't fair...... my machine is in the shop ready to be picked up, I'm in Biloxi, MS and live in Dallas, Tx and my laptop I'm on now doesn't have Designer loaded (it's business machine) which means I can't view the project or play with it. Man! talk about "Cry me a River"!. AND.......... I don't head back to Dallas until next weekend! Sucks to be me right about now..... Ya'll post some pics when you get the project carved up please! :)

CarverJerry
06-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Yeah, mine downloaded and registered just fine too. Thanks MT, looks really good, at least in designer as I'm sure it will in wood too.

CJ

c6craig
06-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Yup, got mine as well and no issues with download or licensing. Can't wait to give it a carve..

Thanks,
Craig

AskBud
06-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Just got mine too! Ain't fair...... my machine is in the shop ready to be picked up, I'm in Biloxi, MS and live in Dallas, Tx and my laptop I'm on now doesn't have Designer loaded (it's business machine) which means I can't view the project or play with it. Man! talk about "Cry me a River"!. AND.......... I don't head back to Dallas until next weekend! Sucks to be me right about now..... Ya'll post some pics when you get the project carved up please! :)
If you are the "owner" of both PC's, perhaps this lesson about "LogMeIn" will help you on your future road trips.
AskBud
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/my%20use%20of%20logmein.zip

Smoken D
06-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Got mine OK!:)

dbfletcher
06-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Does anyone else ever have sucess finding the hinges Michael refers to in his PDF's? This is the third project I have tried to follow his post links.. and it is alway "not found"

Doug Fletcher

chebytrk
06-08-2010, 08:03 AM
I always thought that I could find those hinges at places like Lowes or HD, but I never can. I can only find real long piano hinges.

Smoken D
06-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Cut mine to fit with a dremmel.

RayTrek
06-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Hi Doug,
I get mine at Lowes they are not with the long hinges, look where the hinges and knob section is, there is an area for small box building, hinges and clasps etc. they have 6” and 8” I believe.
Cheers.
Ray

Smoken D
06-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Don't know if I'll do it or not this time. But when I make this box was thinking of deleting the Eagle, make the top, and then also past the Eagle onto a contrasting wood, cut the Eagle out and overlay it onto the then bear top. Just for the heck of it. Maybe, will see.:rolleyes:

chebytrk
06-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Sounds like that should look really nice. we'll need to see some pics when you get that done.

chebytrk
06-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Don't know if I'll do it or not this time. But when I make this box was thinking of deleting the Eagle, make the top, and then also past the Eagle onto a contrasting wood, cut the Eagle out and overlay it onto the then bear top. Just for the heck of it. Maybe, will see.:rolleyes:

I'm kinda thinking that if I make this box for some Veteran buddies, I can move the eagle to one of the sides and put the person's military rank on top and maybe years served. Don't know.... just thinking.

atauer
06-09-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm kinda thinking that if I make this box for some Veteran buddies, I can move the eagle to one of the sides and put the person's military rank on top and maybe years served. Don't know.... just thinking.

I like that idea. My wife's cousin's husband actually just got out of the military. I think I may "borrow" your idea and try it out.

chebytrk
06-09-2010, 07:49 PM
I like that idea. My wife's cousin's husband actually just got out of the military. I think I may "borrow" your idea and try it out.

Cool.... upload some pics when you get it done to see how it turned out. I'm still "chompin' at the bit" in trying to get back to Dallas to start working on that project.