PDA

View Full Version : birthday box

eelamb
05-30-2010, 03:53 PM
here is the start of the box I am making for my daughter. So far the top is carved, and what is shown is straight from the cw. Other images are of the box as it is getting ready to be carved.

LG have you been by my place today. When I went to tape up the rails for the front, I could not find the 1 inches tape. Thought maybe you were out making sure the stock goes up.:)

eelamb
05-30-2010, 04:50 PM
second part of the box. This time it is the front. Back is carving now.
Wood is cedar.

eelamb
05-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Here is the back of the box, carving one of the sides now. May get this all carved tonight. Still have one more side and the feet to do. But just started the grill and have tatoe's on.

wizer
05-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Lookin good Eddie. Are you using the CW to do the miters?

c6craig
05-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Lookin good Eddie. Are you using the CW to do the miters?

Good question, I would like to know too. The first picture looks like it might be going into the sled with the miters and rabbit already cut. But maybe that was on the way out of the CW?

Craig

eelamb
05-30-2010, 07:01 PM
No the box was built first, fitted together as seen in the second picture on the first post. Then I carved each piece one at a time using rails to hold the sides.

The carve region was made a little larger than the actual wood length. therefore the extra tape (three layers) on one end to be sure the bit has a touch down point. It just carves air for a few passes, then cuts wood.

DocWheeler
05-30-2010, 07:17 PM
therefore the extra tape (three layers) on one end to be sure the bit has a touch down point.

Eddie,

Be aware that you have two choices to control where the bit touches. You can set an option that asks you to position the touch-point (I do this), and you can stop the machine when it is going to touch-down and jog it to a better position (I have only done this once).

eelamb
05-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Ken, I had heard of stopping it, and tried but could not jog, and well was already into it and did not look for the option to tell the cw to ask me where to touch down at. The tape works, and I figure I will be looking for the option next time. Thanks for reminding me.

here is the box with the top sides, front and back carved. Still need to do the feet. All held togeather with rubberbands for now. miters look good but better when pressure in on the sides.

I plan to use biscuits on the miters for strength in assembly, and lots of clamps.

Inside will have felt attached before glueing.

DocWheeler
05-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Eddie,

Not to prolong your project but, flocking really dresses up the inside of a project like that. Really easy to do if you "puff" the fibers onto the paint/adhesive.

I had never done it before the boxes I made my daughters a couple of years ago. Incidentally, my avatar is currently my girls (Including my wife and her daughter).

eelamb
05-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Ken I had thought about the flocking. I have not done that before. This should be a good time to try it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Got the feet carved, they are the ones someone posted here, the filagree feet for a box. When it came time to change to the 1/8 cutting bit, all was well until the second time it touched the swing out arm. It touched hard and I got the z axis stall. I believe it was error 313. Tomorrow I will check it out and see if I have a problem or not. If so I will be searching here for a fix. If the problem continues I will be seeking help.

I do have a question, looking for suggestions as to a finish for cedar. Was planning or acrylic, or lacquer. But if anyone has a better suggestion I am open to suggestions. My plan was, first coat of sanding sealer, then follow with three coats of one of the above.

c6craig
05-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Eddie,

The flocking comes out really cool. I just did my first one and screwed it up a little but it was fixed easy enough. The important part is to make sure you seal the inside where you are going to put the flocking adhesive - or else the wood will absorb some of the adhesive and the flocking will look patchy.

Also - make sure you aren't in a time crunch if you go with the flocking. The instructions say once it's applied dont touch or shake or move it for 10-15 hours. Then you shake and lightly brush off the excess. 72 hours to full cure.

Good luck, project looks great so far!!

Craig

mtylerfl
05-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Eddie,

That's a great project and will be cherished for a lifetime! Wonderful birthday gift for sure.

unitedcases
05-31-2010, 01:49 AM
Cant beat some carved cedar. Just the way the color moves. Looks Awesome!

eelamb
05-31-2010, 12:30 PM
Ken and Craig I ordered the flocking and mini flocker. The box is now glued up, used two band clamps to hold it while glueing.

Got the flocking from http://www.craftflocking.com prices were better on the flocking and a little higher on the mini flocker. 4oz for $7.95. mini flocker was almost $6.00.

Ok now to make a cut through region and test the error I got yesterday. But first a good cleaning. Only carved for 9 hours yesterday, and even with the DC some cleaning is needed.

eelamb
06-01-2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks for your comments on this gift for my daughter. I have it glued up, feet installed and sanded now. I will post pictures when it is finished.

eelamb
06-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Been working on my daughters brithday gift, the carousel box shown earlier in this thread. Here it is finished and ready to ship.

Ken (doc) thanks for the suggestion of flocking the inside. came out really nice.

ajk
06-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Been working on my daughters brithday gift, the carousel box shown earlier in this thread. Here it is finished and ready to ship.

Ken (doc) thanks for the suggestion of flocking the inside. came out really nice.

I LOVE THE BOX. JUST PERFECT GIFT
HILDA

Kenm810
06-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Great Looking Project, I'm sure your Daughter will Love it. :smile:

eelamb
06-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments.

lhanner
06-06-2010, 08:43 PM
I know one little girl that will be very very happy. Nice work dad:)

eelamb
06-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Well she is not so little any more, born in 1974. Darn kids are getting too old!

robbrigg2
06-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Don't know if I jumped in on this but this is a beautiful box eddie.....

eelamb
06-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Thanks Robert.

spalted
06-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Eddie,

I missed this post earlier.

The box turned out beautiful, very nicely designed and executed.

will george
06-07-2010, 09:00 PM
I do as Eddie did.. I think.. I use my TS or other common woodshop tools such as my routers to do everything EXCEPT the carvings...

Not that any other way is better or less than..

eelamb
06-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Spalted, thanks.

Will George, yes I cut everything before hand, using my table saw. Then did the carvings using rails. The way I look at it, cutting the miters is one of the areas where you can mess up. So cutting them ahead of time, ensures I have a functional box before and after the carves. If I did the carving before hand, and had just one miter turn out bad (short), then I would have to carve another board and cut the miters again. Plus doing it this way there is less chance of the carvings being off center on the board too.

Just my thoughts on doing mitered boxes.

I would like to hear from others as to their methods of doing mitered boxes.

RayTrek
06-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Hello Eddie,
Great looking box you have there, I like it.
Ray-

eelamb
06-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks Ray. I mailed it out today, so she will have it early. daughter lives about 300 miles away, and when she comes down here she raids my collections of work I have done. Can not say no to her.

Below is a box (bandsaw) I drew up last week and made too. Flocked the inside last night.

c6craig
06-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Thanks Ray. I mailed it out today, so she will have it early. daughter lives about 300 miles away, and when she comes down here she raids my collections of work I have done. Can not say no to her.

Below is a box (bandsaw) I drew up last week and made too. Flocked the inside last night.

Wow, looks great! I never could get a bandsaw box right. I'm not sure which of your boxes I like more, which is a compliment! :)

Nice job,
Craig

CarverJerry
06-09-2010, 06:43 AM
Nice job Eddie. Looks really great to be done on a bandsaw. You've got talent most of us don't have. Keep posting your projects, love seeing what others can do, especially with out the CW.

thanks

CJ

eelamb
06-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Jerry, cllick on my link at the bottom and you will see most of my work as of the lat 3 years. Most are bowls and boxes. Some very nice some well they will do.

eelamb
06-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Craig, and Jerry thanks, the heart box was cut from a 11" x 5" chuck of walnut. I had seen one made on american woodshop and wanted to make one. The drawing of the heart was done by hand then scanned in so now I have the pattern for the future. Woodcraft sells a pattern too for about $10, but figured I could do as well myself.

eromran
09-21-2010, 06:36 AM
Hate to admite it but something good came from readinng the spam above this morning. I had missed your birthday box it really turned out great.

eelamb
09-21-2010, 07:19 AM
Ed did you go to the carousel box? I believe one of the patterns was designed by you.
Thanks for the pattern, turned out really good.