PDA

View Full Version : New CarveTight running HOT

undrtkr
05-30-2010, 11:32 AM
I just installed the new CarveTight spindle & z truck. I did a short (15 min.) centerline text carving with a 90 degree V in soft pine. The whole z truck was almost too hot to touch. Does anyone know if this is "normal" for a new assembly?
Any advice will be appreciated.
Tom

bjbethke
05-30-2010, 12:10 PM
I just installed the new CarveTight spindle & z truck. I did a short (15 min.) centerline text carving with a 90 degree V in soft pine. The whole z truck was almost too hot to touch. Does anyone know if this is "normal" for a new assembly?
Any advice will be appreciated.
Tom
I would say NO!!!

but did you also lube your flex shaft?

undrtkr
05-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Yes, lubed flex shafe and it is running cool as a cucumber.

liquidguitars
05-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Could just need to run a little to break in, keep a eye on it and let us know if it cools down.

LG

bjbethke
05-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Yes, lubed flex shafe and it is running cool as a cucumber.
Some of that lub may have gotton in the Z-Truck bearings?

bjbethke
05-30-2010, 12:46 PM
I haven’t installed my CarveTight spindle yet; I will install it after lunch and let you know if mine will get hot. My old z-truck has Ron’s QC chuck, it’s in good shape so I did not take the time to test the new CarveTight spindle yet.

undrtkr
05-30-2010, 12:59 PM
I am 1 hour into a 4 hour carve and actually it seems to be running a little cooler, not much, but enough I cam hold a finger on it for about 10 seconds. Also, I am sure no lube from the flex shaft got into it.
BJB, keep us informed. My install went pretty smooth, except the LocTight kicked off too quick in this 90 degree heat.
Tom

undrtkr
05-30-2010, 05:19 PM
OK. Carving came out fine. Not having any type of IR temperature equipment, I took a very accurate stick thermometer and placed as much of the shaft would fit on the left side of the Z truck. Initially it read 122 degrees. About 2 hrs into the carve it read 118; at 3 hours, 115 and stayed there. If I waited 60 seconds to take the temp, it would be 110 or less. Not a real accurate way to do things, but it does indicate (I think) that there is some kind of run in period. Maybe LHR will answer my email Tuesday and I'll know for sure.
Thanks, to all.
Tom

bjbethke
05-30-2010, 06:18 PM
I have my new carve tight spindle installed, but I can not test it. I found my Z-Truck Ribbon Cable damaged. I cut the cable off at the brake and scraped new contacts. Not sure if the cable will be too short. Has anyone tried that?

Digitalwoodshop
05-30-2010, 06:26 PM
Too Short.... It will get to the Bit Flag and rip the FSC cable out at an angle under power and either toast the Motor.... Happened to ME.... snagged... or damage the $300.00 computer driver....

AL

bjbethke
05-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Too Short.... It will get to the Bit Flag and rip the FSC cable out at an angle under power and either toast the Motor.... Happened to ME.... snagged... or damage the $300.00 computer driver....

AL
Your wright it's too short. I need to put an order in.

Capt Bruce
05-30-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm beginning to think these components are programed to self destruct on major holiday weekends. Am I the only one seeing this pattern?

Sorry your cable went South on you BJ.

Digitalwoodshop
05-30-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm beginning to think these components are programed to self destruct on major holiday weekends. Am I the only one seeing this pattern?

Well the machines are feeling lucky..... There was no new release of Designer on Friday Afternoon..... or a 3 day weekend so they are acting up.... :D

unitedcases
05-31-2010, 01:06 AM
Not hearing too many good things about the new Carvetight. Is anyone else noticing this trend?

bjbethke
05-31-2010, 03:34 AM

It's OK the machine has a few years on it. It was a Christmas special Deal back in December 2007. (All the bits, the probe and Centerline came with it – it was a little over $2000.00 + shipping) I do not think it was new at that time. It came with a bad QC and broke the carving bit tip the first time the bit hit the carving board, LHR replaced all the broken parts at that time NO charge.

After about 100 hours I started getting a Tracking error in the Y function (see image) The encoder was full of saw dust, I cleaned both encoders Y&Z. But I still had that error and they wanted the machine back because the readings in the Controller were wrong, The LHR technician said that were not right.

That was in early 2008, the controller and the Z-Truck ribbon and a few other parts were replaced at that time at no cost to me. I did not send the flex shaft with the machine so I got a new flex shaft at that time. (I did need to pay $65.00- NO SHIPPING) ;)

I’m not sure how many hours are on my main motor because when they replaced the controller it started with zero hours. I looked at the top brush and it was ½ gone.

So I plan on going through Al’s recommend spare parts list and try to place an order this week.

The Y-Truck makes lots of trips back and forth in them 4-8 hour carves, and the plastic ribbon guard fell apart (see image) When I installed the new Z-Truck spindle I took the time to clean the Z motor assembly and found the farad ribbon and the guard loose.

All-in All I think I received OK service from that machine. I do not sell many carvings; I purchased it to do table/bench tops and cabinet doors (for my shops) which do a better job than my manual Legacy machine. I would like to replace these machines with the New Bench top CNC Legacy unit, but that would cost around $5000 to 6000.00 dollars. :(

bjbethke
05-31-2010, 03:50 AM
Not hearing too many good things about the new Carvetight. Is anyone else noticing this trend?
I don't think the Carve Tight spindle is bad, I was not able to check the unit yet, and my problems were other old parts. It looks like they Beefed up the Z-truck casting and mine does not need the Black Washer that was used to fix the old ones. (See image)

And I think you can use Ron's parts with it. ;)

Digitalwoodshop
05-31-2010, 01:37 PM
So far I am giving the Carve Tight TWO Thumbs UP.... I have not seen anything yet that has turned out to be a CT Problem....

A lot of "The SKY is FALLING" posts about the BAD CT that turn out to be... 'O.... It's raining....

There are SO many things that can effect the carving quality from bearings, motors and artwork. I jump to defend the CT and look below the surface.

Hot CT Truck can be caused by oil from the flex getting into the upper bearings.

As for a break in period for a new CT.... Causing a hot Truck... I have seen that posted before.... I have mixed feelings about that....

AL

Digitalwoodshop
05-31-2010, 01:43 PM
It's OK the machine has a few years on it. It was a Christmas special Deal back in December 2007. (All the bits, the probe and Centerline came with it – it was a little over $2000.00 + shipping) I do not think it was new at that time. It came with a bad QC and broke the carving bit tip the first time the bit hit the carving board, LHR replaced all the broken parts at that time NO charge.

After about 100 hours I started getting a Tracking error in the Y function (see image) The encoder was full of saw dust, I cleaned both encoders Y&Z. But I still had that error and they wanted the machine back because the readings in the Controller were wrong, The LHR technician said that were not right.

That was in early 2008, the controller and the Z-Truck ribbon and a few other parts were replaced at that time at no cost to me. I did not send the flex shaft with the machine so I got a new flex shaft at that time. (I did need to pay $65.00- NO SHIPPING) ;)

I’m not sure how many hours are on my main motor because when they replaced the controller it started with zero hours. I looked at the top brush and it was ½ gone.

So I plan on going through Al’s recommend spare parts list and try to place an order this week.

The Y-Truck makes lots of trips back and forth in them 4-8 hour carves, and the plastic ribbon guard fell apart (see image) When I installed the new Z-Truck spindle I took the time to clean the Z motor assembly and found the farad ribbon and the guard loose.

All-in All I think I received OK service from that machine. I do not sell many carvings; I purchased it to do table/bench tops and cabinet doors (for my shops) which do a better job than my manual Legacy machine. I would like to replace these machines with the New Bench top CNC Legacy unit, but that would cost around $5000 to 6000.00 dollars. :(

BJB,

Your pictures of the offset carving look like a bad Y gear box bearing.... Humor me and check the bearings.

The broken black holder when I failed to install it on the Z Truck one time let the FSC cable DROOP and snagged and tore it out under power and smoked my Z Motor. I recommend installing extra masking tape on the FSC cable at that point to extend the support making the FSC Cable make a more gentle bend when working.

AL

undrtkr
06-06-2010, 05:50 AM
To kind of emd the thread I started, I took temperature on the new CarveTight truck. Started out at 112 degrees and after 3 hours of carving it came down to 102 Degrees which LHR says is "normal". So, apparently there is a run in period for the new bearings. All in all, I think the new spindle system is "the bomb". Much smoother running, easy bit change and good detain carving. The biggest difference I noticed was with centerline text. No jerking between carving segments of letters. I like it!
Thanks to all
Tom