PDA

View Full Version : Carvetight Upgrade - Bits

edereyes
05-30-2010, 10:18 AM
I bought a brand new machine, then turned right around and promptly sent it back to LHR and had the Carvetight upgrade done. They turned it around within a week, and it was back in my hands very quickly.

The day I took it out of the box and went to start carving, I found that I needed new or "special" bit adapters for the new head.

Question: I've looked all over for the new bit adapters. I've searched the CarveWright website and the web for the adapters, and didn't find any.

Where can I get these adapters? Without them, this machine is a $2500 boat anchor...

Thanks in advance,
Ed

c6craig
05-30-2010, 10:26 AM
You can't buy just the adapters for carving and cutting bits, they are pressed on. The only adapter you can get is for the decorative bits. Here is from the CW website:

USING BITS & PROBE WITH CARVETIGHT:

•¼” Carbide (carving & cutting) bits feature hard pressed steel collars
•¼” Steel shank (decorative) bits require slotted steel collets and a rubber stop
•½” Steel shank (decorative) bits can be placed directly into chuck and will require a rubber stop
•New Scanning Probes will feature hard pressed steel collars
•Existing Scanning Probes can be updated with a slotted steel collet

Good luck,
Craig

edereyes
05-30-2010, 10:39 AM
You can't buy just the adapters for carving and cutting bits, they are pressed on. The only adapter you can get is for the decorative bits...

Thanks, Craig. So I have 8 "old" bits that fit the non-carvetight modded machine. The bits that you describe here are for the machine with the carvetight mod?

Cheers,
Ed

fwharris
05-30-2010, 10:45 AM
For the 1/16 and 1/8 bits they have a drop down list that you can select either the std bits or the ones with the pressed on sleaves for the CT.

All items can be found under the CarveTight heading in the store..

http://store.carvewright.com/home.php?cat=285

c6craig
05-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks, Craig. So I have 8 "old" bits that fit the non-carvetight modded machine. The bits that you describe here are for the machine with the carvetight mod?

Cheers,
Ed

Right,

The pressed on sleeves (adapters) are for the CarveTight (carving and cutting bits).
The 1/4" shaft decorative bits use the 1/4" collet adapter, which is not pressed on.
The 1/2" shaft decorative bits go right in with no adapter, but you use a little rubber stop.

The Quickchuck adapters are for the stock Quickchuck.

And the bits with no adapter are used for the Rock Chuck or equivalent.

Good Luck,
Craig

edereyes
05-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Right,

The pressed on sleeves (adapters) are for the CarveTight (carving and cutting bits).
The 1/4" shaft decorative bits use the 1/4" collet adapter, which is not pressed on.
The 1/2" shaft decorative bits go right in with no adapter, but you use a little rubber stop.

The Quickchuck adapters are for the stock Quickchuck.

And the bits with no adapter are used for the Rock Chuck or equivalent.

Good Luck,
Craig

Great! Thanks - I just found and ordered them. I sure wish they had mentioned something when I got the upgrade - so much for "upselling"! ;)

I appreciate all the help -

Ed

wizer
05-30-2010, 11:08 AM
Maybe you should fit a rock chuck to your carve tight, then you on't have to worry about bit adapters....

c6craig
05-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Maybe you should fit a rock chuck to your carve tight, then you on't have to worry about bit adapters....

It's my understanding you can't fit a Rock Chuck to the new CarveTight truck because the chuck and spindle are one piece, so no chuck to screw off. I may be mistaken though...

I was lucky, I have a Rock Chuck on my other machine, so I was able to remove the Quickchuck adapters from my existing bits and use them with my Rock Chuck. Had to remove all the adapters from the bit set anyway...

Craig

wizer
05-30-2010, 11:46 AM
I kinda guessed that, but was highlighting why the Rock might be a better move...

c6craig
05-30-2010, 11:51 AM
I kinda guessed that, but was highlighting why the Rock might be a better move...

Indeed, I assumed that's what you were getting at. I just didn't want to confuse the original poster.

I won't turn this into another endless chuck debate, it's all been said. I own both a Rock and a CarveTight and think any system that gets rid of the Quickchuck is a winner. ;)

Craig

unitedcases
05-31-2010, 01:32 AM
I have to ask though, if the new carvetight has those special collars, then can you only buy them aready made from Carvewright?

c6craig
05-31-2010, 08:29 AM
I have to ask though, if the new carvetight has those special collars, then can you only buy them aready made from Carvewright?

That's my understanding as of right now. It's a pretty new product though, so we will see. Maybe Ron will even start making bits with pressed on collars, I don't see why they wouldn't work in the Rock as well. Then they would have built in stops for the Rock, and he could hit the CarveTight market as well :mrgreen:

Craig

bjbethke
05-31-2010, 11:32 AM
That's my understanding as of right now. It's a pretty new product though, so we will see. Maybe Ron will even start making bits with pressed on collars, I don't see why they wouldn't work in the Rock as well. Then they would have built in stops for the Rock, and he could hit the CarveTight market as well :mrgreen:

Craig
They work great in the Rock; I was using them before I installed the CT spindle yesterday.

Dirtydan
06-14-2010, 09:26 PM
[
USING BITS & PROBE WITH CARVETIGHT:

•New Scanning Probes will feature hard pressed steel collars
•Existing Scanning Probes can be updated with a slotted steel collet

Good luck,
Craig[/quote]
I'm updating my Old Probe to the CarveTight system using the Scanning Probe Adapter... There was a video online that showed how to make the swap-out, but I can't find it now. I don't remember if you have to use one of the 1/4" rubber spacers or not... Do you have any idea about where to find the video or if the spacer is required with the probe or not?

c6craig
06-14-2010, 11:00 PM
It looks like they now have an adapter just for the scanning probe....

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=20583&cat=285&page=1

Good luck,
Craig

Dirtydan
06-15-2010, 12:16 AM
It looks like they now have an adapter just for the scanning probe....

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=20583&cat=285&page=1

Good luck,
Craig

Yes, I got the adapter... I was just wondering if I also had to use the spacer with it or not....

c6craig
06-15-2010, 07:07 AM
Yes, I got the adapter... I was just wondering if I also had to use the spacer with it or not....

Sorry, I misunderstood you. Here is the info and link from the CW page, they say no stop collar required, so I would guess that means you do not need to use the spacer.

"CarveTight & The Scanning Probe

All new Scanning Probes are fitted for the CarveTight Spindle. Probes designed for the original Quick Changer can be retrofitted with a ¼” Split Collet or a ¼” collar. (No stop collar required.)"

http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/cwprobe.htm

Good luck,
Craig

baby15
01-21-2011, 11:00 PM
do the stop collars go on top of collet want to use the 60 degree bit have the collar but 60 degree looks short or do they have a longer one for carvetight had it for 3 days now

lynnfrwd
01-22-2011, 09:40 AM
One size fits all. Just don't use it with 1/16" cutting bit.

Dirtydan
01-23-2011, 07:47 PM
do the stop collars go on top of collet want to use the 60 degree bit have the collar but 60 degree looks short or do they have a longer one for carvetight had it for 3 days now
There is only one size... I normally get my 60degree bits at Sears... The shank might be a little longer, but not much.