PDA

View Full Version : Truck temperature

djarboe
05-29-2010, 06:39 PM
While doing my latest carving, I noticed that the "truck" (the part that holds the bits) was hotter than a $2 pistol... make that a 50c pistol. I looked in the manual about lubrication, but found nothing.

Is this normal? Should I be putting some lube in the truck while I have the shaft out for cleaning/lube.

Also, the manual says to clean and lube the tracks with light oil. What is light oil... WD40?

earlyrider
05-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Check to see if some X.S. lubricant from the flex has accumulated on top of the upper spindle bearing. If so, clean off what you can after removing the top-hat. When the flex is removed from the top-hat, spin the spindle by hand to check for any drag or gravely feeling, which would indicate dirty and/or bad bearing(s).
On a new unit, the spindle bearings may tend to run hot until they're run in (generally a couple hours). DO NOT lube the spindle bearings unless you want them to run slow and hot until seizing.
To clean the rails, WD40 can be used- spray on a rag and wipe them down. Alot of users are fond of the dry spray lube (with silicone) again on a rag to wipe down and lube the rails.
Ron

Digitalwoodshop
05-29-2010, 07:28 PM
More than likely when you lubricated the flex shaft you left too much Molly on the cable. The excess oil makes it's way into the top hat of the Z Truck. It lays on the upper seal and then gets into the high speed bearings of the Z Truck.

Remove the 2 screws and flex and wipe out all oil. You can try running it and see if the oil burns it's way out.... and it cools down... More than likely you will need a new bearing or Z Truck. It is a Ceramic Ball Bearing.

AL

Edit: And we have a TIE.... :)

djarboe
05-30-2010, 09:18 AM
More than likely when you lubricated the flex shaft you left too much Molly on the cable. The excess oil makes it's way into the top hat of the Z Truck. It lays on the upper seal and then gets into the high speed bearings of the Z Truck.

Remove the 2 screws and flex and wipe out all oil. You can try running it and see if the oil burns it's way out.... and it cools down... More than likely you will need a new bearing or Z Truck. It is a Ceramic Ball Bearing.

AL

Edit: And we have a TIE.... :)

Well, it looks like you two were right on target. After posting this I went to check on my carving, and a big glop of grease had fallen from behind the spindle onto my workpiece. I pulled some paper towels around the spindle above the chuck, and found a bunch more grease that had come out the bottom of the bearings.

Next, I pulled off the top hat, and it was full of grease. So, I have cleaned the top hat, and the top of the bearings.

The spindle still spins easily and smoothly, however. So hopefully it has not been damaged.

So, the next question... should I try to put some solvent on the top bearing to try to wash out the grease... maybe something like carb. cleaner? Or, would this be a big mistake. Should I just run it as is and let the grease work its way out by gravity?

It seems like lubing the flex shaft is a bit of a Goldilocks game... not too much, not too little, but just right. I started putting more on because the outside of the shaft seemed to be getting pretty hot while carving. The additional grease did help this.

fwharris
05-30-2010, 10:50 AM
If you can find it get the CraneCam Lube with molly for the flex shaft.. It is a paste and does not run like the spray on chain lube..

DocWheeler
05-30-2010, 11:16 AM
should I try to put some solvent on the top bearing to try to wash out the grease... maybe something like carb. cleaner? Or, would this be a big mistake. Should I just run it as is and let the grease work its way out by gravity?

djarboe,

I would be afraid to put a solvent in there as I would think that it would then surely get into the bearing.

I have successfully used a graphite and moly grease from Harbor Freight.

djarboe
05-30-2010, 12:01 PM
djarboe,

I would be afraid to put a solvent in there as I would think that it would then surely get into the bearing.

I have successfully used a graphite and moly grease from Harbor Freight.

I'm using a graphite moly grease I got from O'Reilly auto. It's in a big squeeze tube, and comes out rather thick. Of course, it gets pretty fluid in use.

Looked for the Crane Cam lube, but seems like none of the auto part shops around me carry it.

So, another question... I have been cleaning and regreasing the flex shaft before every new project. Is this too much, or not enough? Also, does anyone clean out the rubber shaft tube, and if so, how?

DJ

c6craig
05-30-2010, 12:06 PM
I think relubing before every project is probably excessive. It takes a few carves before the lube even sets in and balances out. When I relube it takes a carve or two where it runs a little warm and then balances out. I just touch check the flexshaft during carving once in a while and when it starts to feel warm I go ahead and relube. I have had the same lube in for the past 40 or 50 carve hours and it is still not even above warm to the touch.

Craig

Kenm810
05-30-2010, 12:29 PM
I agree with Graig Lubeing that often could fill the rubber sleeve with lube that could leak out.
I've been taking the sleeve and flex-shaft out of my machine about every 60 or so hours of carving for
a good cleaning and fresh lube with Gunk Ind chain lube plus Moly,
I clean the spring and run a Cotton Gun wad soaked with Naphtha through the sleeve several times,
then a clean dry wad to remove any excise solvent. No F/S heat-ups or leaking lubes in over 3 years. :wink:

djarboe
05-30-2010, 12:54 PM
I agree with Graig Lubeing that often could fill the rubber sleeve with lube that could leak out.
I've been taking the sleeve and flex-shaft out of my machine about every 60 or so hours of carving for
a good cleaning and fresh lube with Gunk Ind chain lube plus Moly,
I clean the spring and run a Cotton Gun wad soaked with Naphtha through the sleeve several times,
then a clean dry wad to remove any excise solvent. No F/S heat-ups or leaking lubes in over 3 years. :wink:

Thanks both of you. I will give that a try.

Sorry, but one more question... previously in this thread, I mentioned that a big glob of grease fell on my workpiece. Well, it then got smeared onto my rollers. I tried cleaning it off with rubbing alcohol (which is not a very good solvent), but the grease is still leaving "tracks" on my workpiece. Any other suggestions? I have acetone, toluol, naptha. I just don't want to dissolve the roller material.

Kenm810
05-30-2010, 01:48 PM
I've been using Naphtha for years to clean grease, glue, and other adhesives
off the rubber pressure rollers of other machines in shop,
even my "J" Rollers I use for Veneering and Laminating get wiped down each week with out any problems.
Just remember to wipe the rollers dry when your done cleaning them. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

unitedcases
05-31-2010, 01:14 AM
You definitely shouldnt have to clean and lube it that much. If you soak it with the chain lube and wipe the excess off it will get many hours. Harbor freight has the digital thermometers on sale for like 20 bucks. Every now and then just give it a quick test to see your temp. Cant remember off the top of my head but does anyone remember at what temp you should look at cleaning and relubing the flex shaft?