PDA

View Full Version : Time For New Y Motor Assembly Please Verify

Uncle joe's woodworx
05-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Read all the posts I could when my truck jamed stuck on the keyboard side after a 4 hour carve. Finally broke it loose with much effort and noticed the drive belt had about 3" of teeth missing. Ordered $10.00 Part and arrived as promised . Installed the part and started my machine. Error 303 Y axis stall appears at once and truck stuck in middle of machine. Took off Y motor and truck moves very freely. Checked for wobble in shaft on large white plastic gear, and to my dismay bearings seem shot as it wobbles alot. Had checked all connections oiled gears blew out some sawdust(not much dust as iI have been using the wonderful dust collection system fromRingNeckBlues& The ROCK) Installed and uninstalled several times, made sure drive belt was tight but still to no avail. Just want varification from the experts here on the forum. Guess I can't complain after 473 hours this is my first major problem. Thank you JOE

Digitalwoodshop
05-28-2010, 03:03 PM
I am glad you posted your hours... I recommend changing the bearings with the 2nd set of brushes.... Might start recommending changing the Y bearings when you change the Cut Motor Brushes....

If the big gear shaft is worn thin then you need a new gear.... plus bearings... A old Z gear box will work.... I made a post about the Y Gear Box a few weeks ago.

AL

Uncle joe's woodworx
05-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks for your fast reply. Changed cut motor brushes 50 hours ago--sure made a difference. Just found the bearing size in a post 5x11x5mm. Is that correct? Guess I should try new bearings first before spending $80.00 for a new assembly. Besides haven't been able to get through to LHR for the last hour. Love my machine-----Thanks again JOE

Uncle joe's woodworx
05-28-2010, 05:09 PM
one last thought---took shaft out and not worn but inner ball bearing total destroyed. ordered new ones from VXB ball bearings. Should be here next week. Love this forum and the help it gives to us all . Thanks again- LOE

liquidguitars
05-28-2010, 06:27 PM
after 473 hours I going to have to say that rebuilding the motors tend's to be a wast of time unless your like AL, for my experience, it better just to replace the y and z pack along with the y timing belt and be done with it. I would make sure you have the new spindle or a Rock chuck,
also helpful is to order a few new z glide bearing and rods this will complete the rebuild and give you a almost new machine.

LG

Uncle joe's woodworx
06-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Alo a very heartfelt thank you for solving my Y motor problem. I did as you advised and replaced the two bearings on the gear shaft. MACHINE IS UP AND RUNNING and just finished my first carve with my new centerline text software. . Thank you once again JOE

Digitalwoodshop
06-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Alo a very heartfelt thank you for solving my Y motor problem. I did as you advised and replaced the two bearings on the gear shaft. MACHINE IS UP AND RUNNING and just finished my first carve with my new centerline text software. . Thank you once again JOE

Good JOB getting your machine back up and running.

Let this be a reminder to everyone to start thinking about replacing the bearings near 500 hours.... It's easy... If you have the CLICKING at the Bit flag, or the Y Truck Shuffle.... Where it reverses directions quickly doing bit checks and you have already cleaned the Y Rails. Then your Y Gear Box Bearings are worn....

AL