PDA

View Full Version : project sales

CarverJerry
05-26-2010, 06:38 PM
I know there has been several posts on how much to charge for carvings, it covered machine rates, finishing rates, so on and on.
I was wondering what a fair market price would be for the coin caddy and the antique book rest, finished and ready to sell. Any input would be appreiciated and only used as a guide. Thanks in advance.

CJ

CarverJerry
05-28-2010, 08:32 AM
I see this thread had been read 110 times and no answere or suggestions. The reason I asked this is because I seen on Ebay where the coin caddy sold for $25. I thought that was an insult to us, if you ever made one of these you know how much work goes into these and just the time alone is for carving is worth much more than $25. I also seen some unfinished plaques going for $25 there also, now those being unfinished I can see letting them go for that, but these others....NOT... just my thoughts on this.

CJ

Digitalwoodshop
05-28-2010, 01:42 PM
It really comes down to get what you can... In this economy all sales are down. Do we get paid what we are worth making this carve stuff... NO is the real answer..... As for a formula, there are many.... 3 times material for Wholesale and 4 times for retail. Do I get 4 times material.... Not that often....

So it comes down to why do we do it.... For FUN..... Even with me doing this as a business.... I am getting pennies for my time....

Sure sometimes I find something that sells well... I am doing a Craft Show on Sunday... Only doing one table where I normally did 3. Going to push wooden signs, it is something that has VALUE to the Customer.....

As for all the views and no posts.... No one wanted to rain on your parade, and like you said, it has been posted and answered over and over many times.... In this economy the best most of us can do in impress our family, friends, and neighbors..... The Value of... "WOW... YOU MADE THAT !!!!!!" has more value then money.

AL

Router-Jim
05-28-2010, 02:01 PM
I use $40/hour of actual carve time + materials which was the average suggested years ago when we discussed this in length. I do not charge for my design time as I somewhat enjoy that part and after three year I feel that I am still learning.

All of my work is from custom requests and I get many repeat sales. Now if I was creating items for point of sale purchases then I would probably have to deal with pricing differently.

c6craig
05-28-2010, 02:07 PM
CJ -

I'll post my two cents worth, but with the caveat that it's probably worth less than that - because I don't sell any of the things I make.

If selling online like Ebay, price it high and walk it down in price until it starts selling. It may cost you a few dead auctions to find the price point the market can bear. Also, if you see something like the coin caddy project going as a finished product for $25, don't waste your time trying to compete with that one, do something else. You may be up against someone that is just trying to recoop cost and is basically doing it for the enjoyment.

If selling in a retail environment, like a store, craft show or fleamarket booth - you have a wide range in what people are going to be willing to pay. I would imagine it would be best served to have a few different items in different price points. You may not hook someone willing to drop $75 for that worth-it jewelry box you make, but maybe you find someone willing to pay $50 for a coin caddy project. Or even lower you may find that you sell the heck out of little notion and sundry boxes or generic plaques for 10 or 15 bucks all day long. You never know what people have in their pocket and are willing to part with, like everyone says the economy is pretty much in the toilet right now and you have to remember that $75 is someone's water bill or food budget for the week.

Also - with Father's Day around the corner, projects like Dad plaques or Bar plaques may do very well. If listing online make sure you use "Father's Day" in your title so the lazy ones like me can find it :)

Either way, I hope you find a good market and selling point, and make a ton!

Good luck,
Craig

wizer
05-28-2010, 02:53 PM
I don't sell my work (yet). But I think the key is finding a niche. Something that the market is not saturated with. Plus I don't think selling online is the best way to do it. You need to network locally. Word of mouth is still the most powerful method of marketing. Make sure your friends and family all have your best work on display, and that they are telling their family and friends. Then get yourself to a craft fair or similar type of thing local to you. Don't sell things cheap just for the sake of a sale.

robbrigg2
05-28-2010, 03:47 PM
CJ -

I'll post my two cents worth, but with the caveat that it's probably worth less than that - because I don't sell any of the things I make.

If selling online like Ebay, price it high and walk it down in price until it starts selling. It may cost you a few dead auctions to find the price point the market can bear. Also, if you see something like the coin caddy project going as a finished product for $25, don't waste your time trying to compete with that one, do something else. You may be up against someone that is just trying to recoop cost and is basically doing it for the enjoyment.

If selling in a retail environment, like a store, craft show or fleamarket booth - you have a wide range in what people are going to be willing to pay. I would imagine it would be best served to have a few different items in different price points. You may not hook someone willing to drop $75 for that worth-it jewelry box you make, but maybe you find someone willing to pay $50 for a coin caddy project. Or even lower you may find that you sell the heck out of little notion and sundry boxes or generic plaques for 10 or 15 bucks all day long. You never know what people have in their pocket and are willing to part with, like everyone says the economy is pretty much in the toilet right now and you have to remember that $75 is someone's water bill or food budget for the week.

Also - with Father's Day around the corner, projects like Dad plaques or Bar plaques may do very well. If listing online make sure you use "Father's Day" in your title so the lazy ones like me can find it :)

Either way, I hope you find a good market and selling point, and make a ton!

Good luck,
Craig

Something to note about Ebay... I used to sell on there some years ago... things like books, coins, collectables... they did really well... but now the climate has changed... I have sold a bunch of my Karate Belt racks there but most were at Christmas. I got a LOT of people watching the auctions.. only one person would bid... and then after the close a slew of people would hit me up but at the minimum price... it proved to be a no go for me...

toocwhatisaw
05-28-2010, 05:22 PM
I have not made the coin caddy yet but it will be my next purchase i would think $25 would barley break even on expense i would think at least $45 or more. I have made a few wildlife eagle clocks and would like to sell them can any one give me a good selling price for them i am new to this machine and have never sold any of my projects before with or with out the carvewright. I was thinking $55-$60. opinions please.

Thanks in advance!

Russell

CarverJerry
05-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Well thanks guys for your input on this. I'm not looking to sell my stuff on Ebay, at least not now. I have a fair coming up on the 19th of June, it will be my first one, I've got 4 or 5 different projects made (all in 3's but with different finishes) This is going to be my test run to see how NE Ohio will sell this stuff. I know there are a lot of people out of work around here but things are starting to pick up so we'll see. I'll post my results afterwards.

Again thanks guys

CJ

c6craig
05-28-2010, 10:10 PM
Good luck CJ, I hope you come home with no wood and lots of cash ;)

Craig

Digitalwoodshop
05-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Did the Craft Show and sold one sign for $60.00 and $10.00 shipping. 6 pretty serious nibbles.... May pan out in later weeks. No one was buying much of anything... $15.00 table and my time.... Not really worth it... but I needed to at least do it to find out. This is normally a pretty HOT place... Lots of New York City Money.... Not today...

So when I make the sign I will spend about $4.00 on material. Artwork and cut. Paint the text and sand flush after dry. A few coats of Spar and done...

Ran into a new Laser guy in my neighborhood with a 60 watt laser.... He had some luck with his lasered wood stuff. Looks Good. I shared some ideas with him. This is a GOOD Thing... If my Laser goes down I have a back up plan.... COOL....

AL