PDA

View Full Version : Machine for Sale - $400

lyncowgill
05-26-2010, 03:41 PM
I have a Craftsman branded Compucarve unit that I bought new in 2007. I only have about a dozen hours on it. It has been in storage since for about a year and a half. When I took it out to check it for getting ready to sell, it came up with an "ERROR 246 - Z-axis Stall". I am a grad student now and I don't have the time to diagnose, hope maybe this will be a good deal for someone who does have the time. $400 plus shipping (I have original box, will just charge actual shipping costs).

Lyn

alan.galbraith
05-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Where are you located?

lyncowgill
05-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Zip code 93401, I can calculate shipping for anyone interested.

Lyn

woodsnwaters
05-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Check you PM.

skeeterman
05-26-2010, 06:42 PM
I would be interested in machine let me know if you if you havent sold it yet

Digitalwoodshop
05-26-2010, 07:51 PM
I would jump in but I spent all my money on Advertizing for my Fire Stuff....:mrgreen:

Sounds like a good deal....

New Z bundle
Board Sensor New or glue the old one.
Rock
Glue the L2
Glue the X Term Board C1

GAME ON !!!!!

AL

plrichardny
05-27-2010, 03:28 PM
anyone know what the eror is, and if it is fixable?
We have purchased, but have not received our machine, and I appreciate all the interesting information. I was really reluctant to buy one due to the trouble people have had, but it appears that this is the answer to making balusters for our porch we are building. Fingers crossed it works well. Just a 6 month Limited warranty.. not so good, and Sears does not offer an extended warranty.. Thought the one for sale might be good for spare/parts. Or would I be throwing away money. Maybe it is sold, so I don't have to wory. Any thoughts?

wizer
05-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Glue the L2
Glue the X Term Board C1

AL

Al, would you mind explaining these two? I take it you mean these are essential maintenance fixes?

AskBud
05-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Al, would you mind explaining these two? I take it you mean these are essential maintenance fixes?

Here is one post:
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=130489&postcount=9

here is another:
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=130320&postcount=3
AskBud

Digitalwoodshop
05-27-2010, 06:01 PM

The L2 Coil of the Power Supply has a nasty habit of vibrating due to the QC and snapping off one lead. It is glued, but sometimes the girl over in China does not put enough to hold it. It causes the power to go out.

The C1 Capacitor on the X Termination board does the same thing about 500 hours of QC Vibration. I had 2 snap off last summer.

If you stick with the Vibrator QC then you should glue both.

Buy a Rock and you should not have a L2 or C1 problem.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
05-27-2010, 06:19 PM
anyone know what the eror is, and if it is fixable?
We have purchased, but have not received our machine, and I appreciate all the interesting information. I was really reluctant to buy one due to the trouble people have had, but it appears that this is the answer to making balusters for our porch we are building. Fingers crossed it works well. Just a 6 month Limited warranty.. not so good, and Sears does not offer an extended warranty.. Thought the one for sale might be good for spare/parts. Or would I be throwing away money. Maybe it is sold, so I don't have to wory. Any thoughts?

The Z Stall could be as simple as dried sawdust on the Z Rails and Belt.

It could be that it has the old Z with the 18 pin FSC Cable. It sometimes causes a Z Stall for a few reasons from the thinner conductors or a broken wire inside the FSC Cable. Buying the new Z Bundle with the thicker 14 pin cable helps.

A Z stall can also be caused when using a short board and selecting to not stay under the rollers and the board tipping up and causing the stall.

A Loose bit in a bit holder can cause a Z Stall too.

Worst possible case the $300.00 computer has a blown Z Drive.... Unluckily unless you have a accident and the FSC Cable is pulled out at a angle with the power on.

Dust in the Z encoder can cause it too...

I wouldn't fear a Z Stall.... My last $500.00 broken machine (#4) with a Z Stall was simply a broken wire in the 14 pin FSC Cable. It frustrated the owner to the point of selling the machine.

AL

lmoutdrs
05-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Where abouts in CA are you. I'm in Fresno and interested.

c6craig
05-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Where abouts in CA are you. I'm in Fresno and interested.

For 400 bucks, I'm sure it's long gone by now..but I guess you never know.

Good luck,
Craig

lyncowgill
06-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Thanks for all the replies, the machine sold local.