PDA

View Full Version : 3D scanner

BobHill
11-10-2006, 03:49 PM
As announced on their tracking site, DHL did indeed deliver my new 3D scanner for the CarveWright (although it now states it's for the "CompuCarve"). It comes in a very nice looking box with it's own lined form shaped space. Black and with a probe that looks like it'll pick up the smallest detail with a narrow "v" which looks like it's even narrower than the cutting bit. I'd like to have a sturdy carving bit with that shape, I can tell you.

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, and first have to make my own sled, which shouldn't be a problem. I like the idea that you can select the area for it to scan.

The manual is quite understanable, although It could have included the plans for the sled and I'd sure recommend that the manual and plans for the sled be put onto the accompanying CD disk.

Has anyone else received theirs and had a chance yet to use it?

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

fozziebo
11-10-2006, 04:44 PM
Exciting!!!! Please post photos when you can!!!!
P.S. Why do you need a sled?

pkunk
11-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Bob, does the CD have software for the computer? I guess I thought it all took place in the CW itself. If for the computer, is the Mac software there?
How does it interact?

BobHill
11-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Fozziebo,

The sled is what you put the object into when it's small and not rectangular especially. Also the rollers have to rest on the side of the sled and most things you'd wish to scan wouldn't have the material for the rollers, much less be able to withstand the 85# pressure of them.

PKUNK,

The CD does have the software to update Designer to version 1.035/1.113. Version 1.113 is actually the first release for CompuCarve and 1.035is the added support for the Scanning Probe.

Bob

pkunk
11-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Fozziebo,

PKUNK,

The CD does have the software to update Designer to version 1.035/1.113. Version 1.113 is actually the first release for CompuCarve and 1.035is the added support for the Scanning Probe.

Bob
i'm at 1.031 (mac version) I guess I should call Chris or Britt and ask for an explaination. I'd need to know Mac specific answers.

BobHill
11-10-2006, 09:53 PM
PKUNK,

The software for the probe does have the MAC update on it. the only reason for the update is if you have the probe, as nothing else has been changed from version 1.031.

Bob

pkunk
11-10-2006, 09:58 PM
PKUNK,

The software for the probe does have the MAC update on it. the only reason for the update is if you have the probe, as nothing else has been changed from version 1.031.

Bob
Thanks, Bob. Saved me a call. Let us know once you've had a chance to play w/ it.

Old Salt
11-10-2006, 10:35 PM
Got it yesterday had to try out today worked well had no troubles . software loaded fine probe worked very well. Made sled per plans, customer had a drawer Pull with a lighthouse he wanted a molding to match it . Mounted knob on sled set it up and in 17 min. had pattern . Just as it quit carving he walked in the shop to see if I was able to do it for him and was amazed at the results. will post pictures later . For first use I Very pleased :D

BobHill
11-11-2006, 07:32 AM
Great news, OS, I'll have to wait until later on today to use it, I'm afraid. USF has a home game today and my future son in law is one of the coaches, so we have to go in support. Since I'm a big football fan, and the "Bulls" are doing very well this year (headed for one of the year end bowls), it's not a strain for me to do so. My wife is a little more "so so" with football, but likes to support him for the daughter though.

Bob