PDA

View Full Version : Some Quick Questions about Designer

wizer
05-25-2010, 03:22 PM
If the answers are in the manual, I can't find them doing a quick scan.

Firstly, I have imported a series of vector lines from AI2MPC. I have grouped these to make them more manageable, but I would like to turn them into the pattern. It appears that I can't do this? Is that right? If so, can someone explain why and what the difference is?

Secondly, is there a way to snap objects to other objects? I seem to be able to snap to the grid or the edge of the board, but not to layout lines or other patterns?

Lastly, Is there a way to move and object in a certain direction by an exact amount? i.e move a rectangle 1.2" to the left?

dbfletcher
05-25-2010, 03:27 PM
If the answers are in the manual, I can't find them doing a quick scan.

Firstly, I have imported a series of vector lines from AI2MPC. I have grouped these to make them more manageable, but I would like to turn them into the pattern. It appears that I can't do this? Is that right? If so, can someone explain why and what the difference is?

Secondly, is there a way to snap objects to other objects? I seem to be able to snap to the grid or the edge of the board, but not to layout lines or other patterns?

Lastly, Is there a way to move and object in a certain direction by an exact amount? i.e move a rectangle 1.2" to the left?

#1. No.. vector elements can not currently be made in to patterns. Only raster elements are/can be patterns. This has been a feature request on numerous occasions. (as a workaound I have a MPC that has a bunch of "vector patterns" i frequently use... i just copy and paste from that mpc.)

#2. Not that I'm aware of.. and again it have been mentioned in the feature request thread a few times.

#3. Sort of... I do this by adding an attachment, and then by changng the attachment you can move thing exact amounts.

Doug Fletcher

Router-Jim
05-25-2010, 03:29 PM
I'll answer this one:

Yes. Left click to highlight and then right click and choose "attach" and move your mouse to the left side. A green arrow will appear giving the distance from the left edge. Click on the distance measurement and edit it 1.2" less.

DocWheeler
05-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Wizer,

Jim gave good advice, but I want to add something to it.
If you attach to a board-edge, you cause yourself problems when you need to change the board size. It is safer to attach to the centerlines.

wizer
05-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks guys.

I'll put my hand up for these things to be a feature please! If we are adding proper snapping then a proper tape measure tool would also be nice.

Router-Jim
05-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Good idea Wizer.

Having the snap grid appear as a ruler along the side and bottom would be a nice new feature. :cool:

wizer
05-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Well I actually meant a tool where you can measure things, like in Sketchup. But I also like your idea. Being able to pull out layout lines, like in Word, Illustrator, Corel and just about any other graphics producing software, would be really useful.

Jcpb321
05-25-2010, 06:15 PM
What I use as a measuring tool, click on the rectanglle tool then when I have things where I want I delete the rectangle.

John

ChrisAlb
05-25-2010, 07:25 PM
Good idea Wizer.

Having the snap grid appear as a ruler along the side and bottom would be a nice new feature. :cool:

I agree and this is also something many folks including myself have been asking for a long time now.

I use mostly math off either the center lines, board edge or both. On occasion I'll draw a line to a certain length (as needed) and use it as a ruler. But a ruler to snap to would be SWEET!

Until then, at least my math skills stay sharp! LOL :wink:

This is a little off topic but what I'd REALLY LOVE to see is a way to "unlock" the dimension boxes from each other for patterns. That way, you could type a dimension in one without affecting the other. As it stands now, you have to manually drag the one you don't type in to do this.

I know LHR is constantly improving Designer and it takes time to do so. I'm totally impressed with it's capabilities and power already and I know it will only get better. Hat's off to them in my humble opinion. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

mtylerfl
05-25-2010, 08:23 PM
I...

This is a little off topic but what I'd REALLY LOVE to see is a way to "unlock" the dimension boxes from each other for patterns. That way, you could type a dimension in one without affecting the other. As it stands now, you have to manually drag the one you don't type in to do this... http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Hi Chris,

That is one of the items at the top of my 'wish list' as well. That feature would be very convenient.

ChrisAlb
05-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Hi Chris,

That is one of the items at the top of my 'wish list' as well. That feature would be very convenient.

Hey buddy! Nice to hear from you.

They'll get around to it at some point I'm sure. Hope all is well with you.

mtylerfl
05-26-2010, 03:47 PM
Hey buddy! Nice to hear from you.

They'll get around to it at some point I'm sure. Hope all is well with you.

Hey Chris- I'm doing well, and hope you are too also! Super-glad to see you here!