PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to split a 28" tall sign pattern?

Gman_Ind
11-08-2006, 10:23 AM
I just received the Craftsman flyer advertising the "CompuCarve"and that led me here, is it possible to create a 28" tall x 48" pattern then split the design into 2 glue-up pieces, on this machine.
We use glue-ups to make the taller redwood signs signs already and if I could use a single design for the concept and send snapshots to customer then split the job into 2 runs it wold pay for itself quickly.
I have searched the forum and could not locate this issue. Please redirect me if it has already been addressed!
BTW looks like a great product, I have many more questions, so little time.

Mike G.

Dan-Woodman
11-08-2006, 03:43 PM
You sure can split your sign up , the only problem is if part of the top feeds over into the bottom you might have some alianment problems
and there's a waiting list to get the machine.

pkunk
11-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Shure-as long as you're not trying to split the design it'self. Text is no problem. This one is 22 high.

Gman_Ind
11-09-2006, 10:55 AM
I was thinking of raised lettering in a textured bottom pocket redwood sign. The lettering project I saw on your website. I would wager this was multiple files, individual runs from separate patterns.
The software demo I have will only allow a 144"x 15" design envelope. I would like to design the whole sign and make 2 runs from the original.
ok I attached a sample but I want it larger and broken into two runs. this is 15" tall sign, It would also be nice to have the machine add the auto jig so the split area would need to be less than the 15, say 14.5?

Dan-Woodman
11-09-2006, 03:30 PM
14 1/2 is max on my machine anyway
You could leave an edge about 1/2" all around so the rollers have something to ride on and rip the edge off both before gluing the edges together. leaving extra material to match design with other piece.
later Daniel

BobHill
11-09-2006, 05:30 PM
I'd also recomment that prior to doing the multiple piece carving that you align your parts of the whole sign and use a biscuit jointer with marking each piece where the biscuit cutter will make the cuts with the design in mind. Not yet joining them, of course, but all ready for it, once you complete the carving. Just apply the glue, biscuits, and clamps and it's ready for finishing.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Aaron B
11-11-2006, 02:18 PM
Shure-as long as you're not trying to split the design it'self. Text is no problem. This one is 22 high.

Where is your split at in your picture? Did you do two separate files?

pkunk
11-11-2006, 06:46 PM

Where is your split at in your picture? Did you do two separate files?Right under the phone # & yes - 2 files. :)

shaddy
11-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Sounds like maybe you're asking if you can design an oversized project within the CW software (more than 15") then have the software split it up so it will fit within the dimensions (less than 15)

nope.

To make something larger than 15" wide, you must make 2 different files, then engrave/cut them seperately, then glue together afterwards.

As far as I know, that is. If someone knows differently, I'm sure they'll speak up.

Shaddy

Gman_Ind
11-14-2006, 02:44 PM
Sounds like maybe you're asking if you can design an oversized project within the CW software (more than 15") then have the software split it up so it will fit within the dimensions (less than 15)

nope.

To make something larger than 15" wide, you must make 2 different files, then engrave/cut them seperately, then glue together afterwards.

As far as I know, that is. If someone knows differently, I'm sure they'll speak up.

Shaddy
Thanks to all who replied, This is what I thought. The software has a fail safe to only work within the machines envelope. I wanted to design the piece, send the image of the proposed sign to customer for approval. then cut from the same pattern.
I am trying to reduce time and effort required, as we all are.
I think a modification to the software to allow for multiple cuts per single design would help given the relative small working envelope of the machine. Maybe version 2.0 will have this feature.

shaddy
11-14-2006, 03:38 PM
One thing you can do is to take screenshots (the printscreen on the keyboard, it puts an image of the screen onto the clipboard) then you can crop the two screen shots of the patterns and put them together in your image program (I use PaintShopPro).

That's a few steps, but it makes an end picture possible. Make sure both patterns are zoomed the same or you'll have to scale within the image program.

But I agree, being able to make a full sized pattern with the ability to split would be a nice feature.

Shaddy