PDA

View Full Version : burnt bit

Tom75
05-24-2010, 08:46 PM
today i fiered up the cw to try the pattern from tips and tricks round "notions & Sundries " Box all was going well till i smelled wood burrning looked and the bit was turnning black and the dust was brown so i went to stop it but it finnished just as i was pressing stop . everything cameout good but the under side of the box it was oblonged not round i will post a pic but not shaur if will be able to see it well i took it with my cell phone . any in put will be good . as for the bit i will replace it . the other question i have is can you order just the sheeth for the flex shaft ? i also have to change the qc cus naw it has a slight wobbel to it . i checked it with the carving bit installed and the flexshaft removed and spun it by hand and you can see the tip wobble a little bit . i do have a spare qc so that will save me some cash .
the pic of the bit was to big to post i will try tommrow to resize it and post again .
Thank you all for any replys

Tom H
MA

unitedcases
05-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Probably time to upgrade. You will notice cleaner cuts, a quieter machine and much less maintenance. Best money I ever spent. Plus, you can get your bits from the same man, Ron Justice!

rjustice
05-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Thanks Unitedcases...

You can find info about the Rock Chuck system below by clicking on the blue links...

Happy carving,

Ron

Digitalwoodshop
05-24-2010, 09:44 PM
I agree... Get a Rock... The Burnt side of the bit is caused by the Bad QC and the bit flopping around in the cut.

The oblong error is more than likely X Tracking with the brass roller.

Masking Tape on the bottom of the board will help.

Yes, you can save money now and install a new QC but remember if you don't replace all worn Bit holders at the same time then the bad bit holders will destroy the new QC in as little as one project.

Good Luck,

AL

James RS
05-25-2010, 03:38 PM
I can attest to this one, the same thing happened to me. I now have a RJ installed and happy as a clam

flamesrule
05-25-2010, 08:52 PM
Must agree here the rock rules its a must have.There is such a difference in everything...... :)

Tom75
06-01-2010, 08:35 PM
ok got the new parts in to day and bits . qc allready installed tommrow i will install the new flex shaft . i hecked the shaft and is a little bit greasy . the question is should i loub it anyway to be on the safe side? when i have enuff $$$ i am going to get the rock . thank you all for the advice , help and tips over the past few years i have had the cw . all have a good night

Digitalwoodshop
06-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Tom,

Remember if you run the new QC with a old worn bit holder it will destroy the new QC. Change all bit holders....

What I do to lube me Flex is squirt some Chain Lube with Molly between my fingers in the middle of the flex and work it to both ends. Wipe off the excess and I am good.

The solvent in the spray Molly carries the Molly into the center of the flex shaft. I am not a fan of the grease graphite Molly.... No solvent to carry the Molly into the center of the shaft.

I pet my Flex Shaft once a day at the first bit change looking for warm.... If warm, I lube the shaft. Remember NOT TOO MUCH.... It gets into the top hat of the Z Truck and into the upper bearing causing heat.... THAT IS BAD !!!!! Inspect Top Hat the first carve after lube the flex. Wipe clean if you find oil in the top.

AL

Tom75
06-02-2010, 07:03 AM
AL
thank you . i changed the bit holder on one of the carving bits . the 2 cutting bit that i orderd came with bit holders on them . naw weighting for 930-1000 am to finnish assimbeling and deep cleanning and inspection cus i need the air compresser and vacum ( compresser @ 5lbs presher) and then off to carving . WOOT !!!!! what i orderd for parts is . 1 flexshaft 2 cutting bits with addapters , 1 qc as a spair so there will be no down time 1 3pack of bit holders as spairs . i changed the addapters on all the bits when i installed the new qc . sorry that this post jumps back and forth that is how my mind is working at the moment once againg thank you .:):mrgreen:

liquidguitars
06-02-2010, 10:50 PM
today i fiered up the cw to try the pattern from tips and tricks round "notions & Sundries " Box all was going well till i smelled wood burrning looked and the bit was turnning black and the dust was brown so i went to stop it but it finnished just as i was pressing stop . everything cameout good but the under side of the box it was oblonged not round i will post a pic but not shaur if will be able to see it well i took it with my cell phone . any in put will be good . as for the bit i will replace it . the other question i have is can you order just the sheeth for the flex shaft ? i also have to change the qc cus naw it has a slight wobbel to it . i checked it with the carving bit installed and the flexshaft removed and spun it by hand and you can see the tip wobble a little bit . i do have a spare qc so that will save me some cash .
the pic of the bit was to big to post i will try tommrow to resize it and post again .
Thank you all for any replys

Tom H
MA

what version of software? does you motor seem underpowered now?

Tom75
06-03-2010, 06:54 AM
i am useing version 153 the moter seems to be fine i in stalled a new flexshaft and qc and re placed bitholders . and did 2 carves yesterday and everything came out good . i redied the round box top carved good but for got to have it do the bottom so i had to rout it by hand . carveing smoother with no lines in the carveing .

Digitalwoodshop
06-03-2010, 10:15 AM
GOOD JOB !!!!!!

Give yourself a pat on the back...

AL

Tom75
06-03-2010, 01:48 PM
thank you . was able to all of it with all the help over the years from everyone on the fourm . all have a good day :mrgreen: