PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone love there machine

searcherman
05-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Hye, I'm new here. I was thinking on buying a carvewright machine and was wanting to know does this machine have a lot of problems with everyone.
When I read the forum there is good and bad things said about the machine. I just wont a machine that works. Is it worth the money? Thanks:-D

jaroot
05-24-2010, 08:09 PM
Hye, I'm new here. I was thinking on buying a carvewright machine and was wanting to know does this machine have a lot of problems with everyone.
When I read the forum there is good and bad things said about the machine. I just wont a machine that works. Is it worth the money? Thanks:-D
Yeah, I think I do. Does it have problems, yes. It seems to have more than its share of teething problems. As some have mentioned, a lot of the problems may be operator error particularly when it comes to the QC.

We've only had ours for a couple of months and it has broken several times. LHR has been quick to send out the parts that we have needed. Our machine is a refurbished one BTW. The forums have managed to show us how to keep it running. The software is easy to use and very powerful once you figure it out. The things I've been able to make with it are far beyond anything that I have the talent to do by hand.

Are there better machines out there? Probably, but the price goes up dramatically from the CW. And I don't believe that you will find the software anywhere near as user friendly.

Some of the other guys will probably chime in. Some of them have 1000s of hours on CWs. Some hate their machine, some are trying to get rid of them and others are buying all they can so whether or not it is worth the money is pretty subjective.

I'm glad we bought one and if we can figure out a way to make a little cash with it we will probably buy another. The refurbished ones that LHR is selling right now are a heck of a deal and unlike ours they come with a warranty. I would try to get it with the Carvetight installed or install the Rock chuck as it appears to me that th e Quick Chuck is the biggest weak link in the machine.

SeaCapt97
05-24-2010, 08:44 PM
I agree with JRoot 100%. I don't mind getting to know my machine intimately. I also own and run printing presses. They are very similar to CW when they run they run great and make me good money. When they don't just be ready to learn more about the machine. I also agree on the chuck. Except for a bad close cover switch EVERY problem I've had has been chuck/z-truck related. Since my "Rock Chuck" I've had only 1 issue which was software related. I've never tried the new Carvewright chuck but understand it to be a great improvement. LHR, the manufacturer, has always been helpful. I forget how many hours but I think I'm in year three of ownership with an awful lot of amazing carvings.

That's my 2¢.

Bill

ChrisAlb
05-24-2010, 09:16 PM
If I could afford 10 of them, I'd have 10 of them.... http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

unitedcases
05-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Pretty much enough said in the Title. Everyone has to learn how to use the machine but once you get comfortable it puts out some beautiful work. Plus whenever you get stumped just jump on the forum here. No question will go unanswered.

gwhiz
05-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Like you, I read the 'press' and was unsure if it was a wise purchase....but I've had mine a couple of months now and it hasn't 'broken' yet. My QC chuck is a bit sticky and changing bits isn't as smooth as advertised--eventually I'll upgrade to a better chuck, but it's not a big enough problem yet for me to justify the change.

The only other problem that I had was melting the rubber off the flex shaft--but that was operator error. The last time that I used the machine I noticed that the flex shaft was hot and I thought "I need to lubricate that before I use it again". 'course I forgot when I started the next carve until I looked and saw the flex shaft falling apart. I stopped it, let it cool, and then lubed the shaft and started it back up--it's been fine since.

I only wish that I could have benefited from the current pricing on refurbished machines with a warranty!

Bottom line--I'd buy it again.

Router-Jim
05-24-2010, 09:41 PM
When it comes to woodworking I'm pretty picky about what I put my name on. That being said I do believe my CarveWright/CompuCarves are the shop machines that give me an edge over those that don't.

You have to have the patience and persistance to learn the machine and the software. Anyone can carve something right out of the box but for me it was a year before I felt comfortable enough to do custom work. Never in my wildest dreams would I have believed that I would have woodworking pieces in half the US states and a couple of foreign countries. That would of never happened if I would have given up early and not stuck with the machine.

If you enjoy being creative and have the patience, you're going to love the machine.

Jim

eelamb
05-24-2010, 09:44 PM
To answer the question in the title, YES. I am new at it and I use the rock chuck. So far I have had no problems that was not my fault, yet the CW continued to work. My time for problems will come and when it does I know a great fourm where you can ask questions and get excellent advise on the CW. This fourm is the best!

jgowrie
05-24-2010, 10:58 PM
I am happy I bought one. I too did research several years ago and at that time there seemed to be far more bad than good mentioned about it. I think much of it does depend on your willingness to clean the machine and do the required checks. Mine was vacuumed out after every carve and I was very careful about cleaning out my QC but it still failed on me about 50 hours in. Do yourself a favor and get the new CT or a ROCK chuck. The design of that QC hides gummed up dust that quickly builds up. Mine was very balanced but it literally fell apart while I was cleaning it so I got lucky in the sense that it never had the chance to cause bigger problems had it failed while the machine was running.

Some of the required maintenance is scattered about different service documents so you should really download all the manuals and just start reading them wherever it is you do your reading :rolleyes:

For the price, the machine does allow some pretty amazing things to happen in your wood shop. At some point, I envision buying a second machine down the road.

rcdages
05-24-2010, 11:05 PM
If I could afford 10 of them, I'd have 10 of them.... http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

It like any other machine has its problems.

What the machine gives you is something more then special.

Go LHR with the CW/CC

Robert
rcdages

TIMCOSBY
05-25-2010, 02:56 AM
so much i bought a second one but it had all the problems you see posted here so i took it back and now have only the one good one. i think the unbalnced chucks that made there way past any qaulity checks were the root of most problems. also the 3 in 1 oil in the chuck is asking for gumming up problems. i think the new chuck should fix any problems they had but realize that maYBE 1000 MACHINES HAD PROBLEMS OUT OF 30 TO 40 THOUSAND MACHINMES. IF YOUR MACHINE IS WORKING YOU DONT GET ON HERE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT IT.

searcherman
05-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the replys so fare guys. Would ebay or amazon be a good place to buy a carve wright or buy one from the manufactor? If I bought one I would wont the bit set and the scanning probe all together. Thanks!

Router-Jim
05-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Definitely buy from the manufacturer and get the full warrenty.

Metalhead781
05-25-2010, 02:06 PM
I'd love to sell mine if i can get enough for it.

liquidguitars
05-25-2010, 02:22 PM
I'd love to sell mine if i can get enough for it.

LoL ..

I love BP to fix the BOP yesterday.

LG

robbrigg2
05-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the replys so fare guys. Would ebay or amazon be a good place to buy a carve wright or buy one from the manufactor? If I bought one I would wont the bit set and the scanning probe all together. Thanks!

Yes, I love my machine but it took some time to get that "lovin feeling".... be patient... learn to clean and lube it correctly and invest some time in learning the patterns by looking at the ones others have created that carve well... mimic their results on yours and it will get to be addictive.....

I have two machines now... one I bought brand new from Amazon..... (that was the first one)

One I bought Referb. by Sears... both work excellent... though I went through 3 machines from Amazon.... I was dead set to believe it was always the machine... and in a couple of cases I knw it was... but I do now know some was operator error. I think a good comprehensive video tutorial about the cleaning, lubing, maintenance process would be a good idea I would even have been willing to buy one before I knew what I was doing......

With that said.. I would have to say in my experience the machine from Sears was a better investment even though I didn't have warranty because of the price difference... but remember I live down the road from LHR AND I had already learned from the first machine....

Metalhead781
05-25-2010, 03:01 PM
LoL ..

I love BP to fix the BOP yesterday.

LG

I'm not that old but ..what?

Kenm810
05-25-2010, 03:12 PM
With me it was Love at first sight, -- the day in 2006 I saw the Sears Info Commercial for the the CompuCarve, I knew, I had to make Her mine.
Over the years we've had our ups and downs, but nearly every time I needed her, She was there, -- and came through for me. :cool:

PCW
05-25-2010, 04:36 PM

My answer is YES. I own a regular hobby type CNC as well as 2 Carvewrights and I use both systems but I find that programing the software much quicker using the Carvewright. For those of you that have done any CNC programing will know what I'm talking about.

LHR has made some great updates to the machine recently so if you are in the market might be best to buy direct from LHR with all the current updates.

I give the CarveWright team alot of credit for making a system that is so easy to use and topping it off with the best software package in the hobby market.

Comes with belt driven Y/Z servo motors. X motor is a servo however I'm not fond of the X plastic gear setup but the gears are relatively inexpensive to replace.

Does require regular maintenance and I would also recommend using a top mount dust collector. This will reduce alot of the dust in sensors/motors/tracks and belts.

Good luck, and hoping to see you more often here.

I'm not that old but ..what?

BP to fix the BOP + British Petroleum to fix Big Oil Problem

Oil spill here in the states that has been going on for a month now caused by a oil platform explosion in the Gulf of Mexico killing 11 workers and triggered a massive spill. Worst in history and is unprecedented.

Metalhead781
05-25-2010, 05:20 PM
BP to fix the BOP + British Petroleum to fix Big Oil Problem

Oil spill here in the states that has been going on for a month now caused by a oil platform explosion in the Gulf of Mexico killing 11 workers and triggered a massive spill. Worst in history and is unprecedented.

ahh yes i heard about that. what does it have to do with what i said;)

P.S. i don't watch tv

PCW
05-25-2010, 05:54 PM
ahh yes i heard about that. what does it have to do with what i said;)

P.S. i don't watch tv

I think LG thought you started a wish list and he was just adding to it.:mrgreen:

Metalhead781
05-25-2010, 08:58 PM
ahh gotcha thanks

searcherman
05-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Is the "get it all package "the best dill for the buck? I think it is but just thought i would ask! Thanks!

lawrence
05-25-2010, 10:22 PM
I've enjoyed my Carvewright as much as I ever have any other power tool. It doesn't create the gut wretching passion that a hand tool can... but neither can any other power tool that I own.

The best way I heard it put was from another user that said the Carvewright is just like his wife... it is

...a little tempermental at times
...it gets angry when the house is dirty
...no matter what accessories you buy for her it is still a bit loud
...there are definate maintenance "issues"
...it seems cheap at first compared to the competition but the price quickly adds up due to consumables

but when things are right, they are RIGHT!

Yeah... I like my Carvewright a lot... and much like my old 72 Malibu I had when I was 16 every time I get ready to start it up I give it a little pat and say "OK sweetie... start for me just one... more... time...." and just like that beautiful car, my carvewright has started up every time so far. My next step will probably be to give the CW a name... I think I'll call her "Molly"

Lawrence

TIMCOSBY
05-26-2010, 12:01 AM
the carvetight spindle. the full bit set i dont see a use for. the only other bit besides the carving and cutting bits that come with it would be a 90 or 60 degree bit if you get centerline text and maybe the 3/8 bit for calibrating. most everything else is best bone with a router and $10 bit.

CarverJerry
05-26-2010, 05:53 AM
I love my machine and my Rock Chuck. I agree with Timcosby on the tools. I have the complete tool set but don't use them except in my router table set up. Using these in my router is faster and saves on the CW, I'd much rather save the CW just for doing the delecate carving, the rest I'll do on other machines or by hand.

CJ

jaroot
05-26-2010, 08:18 AM
I love my machine and my Rock Chuck. I agree with Timcosby on the tools. I have the complete tool set but don't use them except in my router table set up. Using these in my router is faster and saves on the CW, I'd much rather save the CW just for doing the delecate carving, the rest I'll do on other machines or by hand.

CJ

We have the full bit set also and only use the 90, 60, 1/4" ball and the 3/8" straight bit. I make a lot of picture frames and use the 3/8 to carve the recess on the back. I tried "edge route" once and didn't like the stress it put on the machine and I can do it faster with the routing table.

chebytrk
05-26-2010, 08:26 AM
We have the full bit set also and only use the 90, 60, 1/4" ball and the 3/8" straight bit. I make a lot of picture frames and use the 3/8 to carve the recess on the back. I tried "edge route" once and didn't like the stress it put on the machine and I can do it faster with the routing table.

What might be cool is if someone would make a small project using each of the bits to show the effect and look of each one. Just a thought..........

searcherman
05-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Also is the heavy duty traction belt a good idea to go ahead and get or is the normal belt okay?

Router-Jim
05-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Also is the heavy duty traction belt a good idea to go ahead and get or is the normal belt okay?

The normal belts are perfectly fine. Use flat straight stock and they'll last a long long time.

alan.galbraith
05-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Isn't the heavy duty traction belts the upper belts and the sandpaper belts are the bottom belts. I don't believe they are interchangeable. Correct me if I'm wrong.

cnsranch
05-26-2010, 02:20 PM
alan

You can replace the sandpaper belts with heavy-duty, super, duper, etc., traction belts.

searcherman
05-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Is the referbished carvewright a good dill with the carvetight that they are offering now? Also it says it has cosmetic flaws, is that like a scratch or a dent?

dbfletcher
05-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Is the referbished carvewright a good dill with the carvetight that they are offering now? Also it says it has cosmetic flaws, is that like a scratch or a dent?

Based on the description it should be a great deal. You are getting a machine that has been checked over by LHR and includes several upgrades over a stock standard machine. For the price I dont see how you can go wrong there.

Doug Fletcher

cnsranch
05-26-2010, 03:09 PM
searcherman

Personally, I don't see how you can go wrong by buying directly from the manufacturer. The machines they're advertising are $1,499 without or another $100 with the HD traction belts.

Feel free to check out Lowe's, Jason at Littleredwoodshop.com (super guy, BTW), or many others.

Al will tell you to buy new for your first machine, and then go with a used if you ever get another, and I agree. A refurb'ed unit from LHR is as good as new, and has the new CT system to boot.

I bought mine directly from LHR at a local woodworking show, and have NEVER regretted it.

Just make sure you spend the time to get to know your new addition, and read, read, read, both every bit of this Forum you can stand :rolleyes:, and all the Tips and Trick available.

Also, go to these spots -

http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/cw-askbud%20downloads.htm

http://www.carvebuddy.com/learning_center.html

http://www.littleredwoodshop.com/

http://www.carvewright.com/cms/customer_service

They're all attached to my Favorites on the web, and I frequent them often.

Good luck!!

searcherman
05-26-2010, 09:06 PM
I was also wondering is the scale that is used to check the CW needed or can you use another type of scale. Just thought I would ask. Thanks for your response.:-D

dbfletcher
05-26-2010, 09:12 PM
I was also wondering is the scale that is used to check the CW needed or can you use another type of scale. Just thought I would ask. Thanks for your response.:-D

If yo are referring to checking head pressure, I believe most of us are just using a bathroom scale.

Doug Fletcher

Kenm810
05-27-2010, 06:20 AM
I just took a look and and saw that you can find several Analog Bathroom Scales,
even a few Digital ones at Target, Kmart, Walmart, and online, for less than $20.00.

robbrigg2
05-27-2010, 08:56 AM
I just took a look and and saw that you can find several Analog Bathroom Scales,
even a few Digital ones at Target, Kmart, Walmart, and online, for less than $20.00.

I have the one on the left... works great and was I think around 15

searcherman
05-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Should I buy an extra carving bit, I dont know how long they last so I thought I would ask?

dbfletcher
05-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Should I buy an extra carving bit, I dont know how long they last so I thought I would ask?

It really depends on what materials you carve, but I think ball park numbers I have seen are generally 50-70 carving hours. When you start to see a lot of "curls" on the leading carving edge... time for a new bit. (never hurts to have spares on hand)

Doug Fletcher

robbrigg2
05-27-2010, 11:08 AM
It really depends on what materials you carve, but I think ball park numbers I have seen are generally 50-70 carving hours. When you start to see a lot of "curls" on the leading carving edge... time for a new bit. (never hurts to have spares on hand)

Doug Fletcher

Has anyone tried getting the bits sharpened?

dbtuna1
05-27-2010, 12:58 PM

I've had my machine for over 2 years now and had almost all the problems with it that everyone else had. I'd say DON"T get one if you don't have the time to get to learn about it. I've learn alot about mine and compare it to when I had my old 30' boat. Enjoyed it when everything worked great and hated it when it didn't. I'm ready to buy my second one.

searcherman
05-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Can you make good money with the Carvewright? I've read if you use it for commercial use it would void the warranty. The work I have seen done with this machine is mind boggling it's like i'm dreaming:shock: thanks

Digitalwoodshop
05-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Can you make good money with the Carvewright? I've read if you use it for commercial use it would void the warranty. The work I have seen done with this machine is mind boggling it's like i'm dreaming:shock: thanks

Most of us using the machine for Business blow through the 200 hours in a very short time.... Then most of us buy extra machines from other users and don't get a warranty. I am sure there are some that buy a bunch of new machines, but that is the exception to the rule.

Once you master the maintenance, it is a pretty easy machine to repair. Unless you crack a frame in shipment you can replace most everything. Even the rails that the Y and Z ride on are like drill stock and heavy and can be rotated or replaced as they wear. A well thought out machine....

About the time my project pictures appeared in the second issue of the newsletter, I had blown past my 200 hours and LHR knew it... I posted a Cut hours Picture in the Forum, 350 I believe. Next time I called to order parts the tech mentioned it was in my file that I had 350 hours.... It was not an issue as I was ordering non warranty parts and knew I had no warranty left.

http://forum.carvewright.com//showthread.php?p=32294

AL