PDA

View Full Version : Swords

CHRISTIAN
05-24-2010, 05:52 PM
I recently purchased my machine for the purpose of carving out presentation swords. In the past have tried different techniques and figured that I could program this machine to do it. My problem is I don't really know where to begin. Can I make the beveled edge with the software furnished with machine or do I need to get more? Reading the manual has not given me any insight as to what to do.

Christian

DocWheeler
05-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Christian,

Designer can create edge treatment in several ways - router-bit shape, Designer functions, scanning an existing object, and imported patterns. Patterns (for edges) can also be created in other software that can be imported and used.

Only you can determine how you want to get the look that you want.

CHRISTIAN
05-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Can I scan the actual object if so how do I accomplish it?

Christian

rjustice
05-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Can I scan the actual object if so how do I accomplish it?

Christian

Yes you can scan it... You will need to build a sled to allow you to fixture the part to hold it during the scanning process. You will be limited to a depth of cut of .8 when you actually try to reproduce your scan. This should prove to be a nice project when your done.. take time to post some pics along the way, everyone loves the pics!

Happy carving,

Ron

Icutone2
05-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Great idea as I have collected a few swords myself.
Lee

CHRISTIAN
05-26-2010, 03:12 PM
I have a good pattern to scan. I have read in different threads about a scanning tip, does my machine have one and how do I access it? I am beginning to think that this project is too advanced for my knowledge.

christian

cnsranch
05-26-2010, 03:21 PM
CHRISTIAN

Start here for info about the scanning probe:

http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Jun08.pdf

You'll see that it scans objects, not patterns.

You may also want to check out the DXF importer - it may help you more than the probe.

You can actually design a sword completely thru Designer, but you probably need some more time to get to that point.

CHRISTIAN
06-01-2010, 10:52 AM
thanks for the input I have ordered a scanning probe, will probably have lots of questions as I get started.

Christian