PDA

View Full Version : masking tape instead of o ring

jab73180
05-23-2010, 02:00 PM
i saw the other day that i was missing the oring on my tracking sensor. i decided to use masking tape as i have heard so many of you doing. my projects have been turning out better than with the oring on the tracking sensor. my question is do any of you do the same thing, use the tape instead of the oring, or do you use both.

Deolman
05-23-2010, 02:14 PM
O-rings are cheap at the hardware store. It is a 7/16" O.D X 5/16" I.D. The more grip you have to the board the better it is. Use both. Be sure to put it on the second groove, or the groove closest to the keypad.

ChrisAlb
05-23-2010, 02:41 PM
The strip of tape (on the board) is in "addition" to the O-Ring for a little extra grip. I wouldn't recommend using it "in place of" one.

I've still never used the tape myself but a little "extra" insurance never hurts I guess.

dbfletcher
05-23-2010, 02:45 PM
I've still never used the tape myself but a little "extra" insurance never hurts I guess.

Ut oh... whats that??? Did I just hear Al's 3M stock falling like a rock.

With pine I dont always use Masking Tape... but with anything harder I almost always do.

Doug Fletcher

pkunk
05-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Being as I dimension and sand to 80g my solid wood stock before carving, I've never had a board error without using tape. One of the uses of my machine is drilling thousands of shelf pin holes for cabinets. I do use tape for the melamine and prefinished plywood sides though.

Digitalwoodshop
05-23-2010, 06:56 PM
That post 3 hours ago has helped.... A slight up tick.... Buy Buy Buy......

Thanks,

AL Who

wizer
05-24-2010, 04:33 AM
Since I started using the masking tape, I have practiaclly banished any problems I have with tracking

ChrisAlb
05-24-2010, 04:55 AM
Ut oh... whats that??? Did I just hear Al's 3M stock falling like a rock.

Doug Fletcher

That post 3 hours ago has helped.... A slight up tick.... Buy Buy Buy......

Thanks,

AL Who

LMAO!!! :grin:

Kenm810
05-24-2010, 07:34 AM
I've been keeping a good supply of "O" Rings and Masking tape on hand for a quite awhile. :wink:

unitedcases
05-24-2010, 07:40 AM
Once I started using sleds I put masking tape on and it lasts forever. The bottoms of all my sleds are made with melamine so I pretty much cover the entire bottom. I think alot of people forget that the wheel "housing" is mounted to that plastic "shelf" and it is flexible so as we as woodworkers use the old saying, "Measure twice, cut once", I think that using a O-ring and tape combined is definitely well just.

Air-Cop
06-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks I sure appreciate the Information. I am not too mechanical minded, and I have to ask a lot of questions, I will ask if I don't know, and I apprectate all assistance. This is my first Cut- Thru project. I just wan't to see if I can do it.. Thanks again Air -Cop