PDA

View Full Version : Rails Fell Off?

c6craig
05-22-2010, 12:14 AM
Hi All,

I was replacing the Z Truck tonight and when I took the truck off, the rails that sit in the housing fell out (The ones that the Z Truck roller bearings ride on). I have done the Z Truck replacement in the past, and can't remember these being loose.

Can I continue with the install of the Z Truck with the rails loose? Or can I give it a tiny shot of super glue to hold them in place? Or am I hosed and need to buy a new housing? (not sure what it is really called, the part that the Z Truck mounts to from the front and the Z motor from the back).

And yes I know the machine is dirty, this is part of a complete tear down and maintenance on the machine, so when I am done it will be all clean and shiny :)

Thanks,
Craig

jaroot
05-22-2010, 12:30 AM
Ours were always loose. I just put them back in place and tightened the bearings down.

Hi All,

I was replacing the Z Truck tonight and when I took the truck off, the rails that sit in the housing fell out (The ones that the Z Truck roller bearings ride on). I have done the Z Truck replacement in the past, and can't remember these being loose.

Can I continue with the install of the Z Truck with the rails loose? Or can I give it a tiny shot of super glue to hold them in place? Or am I hosed and need to buy a new housing? (not sure what it is really called, the part that the Z Truck mounts to from the front and the Z motor from the back).

And yes I know the machine is dirty, this is part of a complete tear down and maintenance on the machine, so when I am done it will be all clean and shiny :)

Thanks,
Craig

jaroot
05-22-2010, 12:31 AM
I think it is the y truck that the z truck mounts to.

c6craig
05-22-2010, 12:34 AM
I think it is the y truck that the z truck mounts to.

I believe you are right. So did you just balance the rails loose and put the Z Truck back on? I am thinking maybe a dab of super glue to hold them in place.....

Thanks,
Craig

henry1
05-22-2010, 04:52 AM
The rail just sit there I put a little grease to hold in place till I put my Z truck back on , it,s the Z truck that hold them in place as long the little lip that hold them is not broken off at the bottom :)

PCW
05-22-2010, 07:27 AM
Craig,

They are supposed to be lose. They are a replaceable wear item.

Some of us rotate the rails to give them a new wear surface whenever we have the Z truck off for maintenance. Got this tip from LG.

jaroot
05-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Yeah, I'm with Henry and PCW on this.

c6craig
05-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Excellent, thanks everyone, I hadn't thought of it that way. At least now I can carry on with the install :)

Craig

TerryT
05-22-2010, 08:49 AM
There should be a small lip on the bottom of the slot they fit in (at least on older machines like mine). This holds them up while you install. Some times these are worn or broken off. If they are still there make sure the rails sit above them. Otherwise you may have one rail sticking our farther on the bottom than on the top. This could cause a Z stall at the bottom of travel.

c6craig
05-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Thanks! The lip is there and intact on both sides, and the rails do sit in there nicely. I just wasn't sure about them falling out like that, didn't know if I should permanently attach them, but once again, the forum comes through!

Thanks again guys!

Craig

mtylerfl
05-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks! The lip is there and intact on both sides, and the rails do sit in there nicely. I just wasn't sure about them falling out like that, didn't know if I should permanently attach them, but once again, the forum comes through!

Thanks again guys!

Craig

Hi Craig - perfectly normal - the rails don't "fasten in". The z-truck replacement instructions do mention that...

Page 6, Step 11...

11. Remove Z-truck from machine: Push the truck down to reveal the belt. Grab the belt and loop it over both pulleys. The Z-truck can now be removed. Note that the vertical rails are not attached to the structure and may fall out so be sure that you still have a cover over the sandpaper belts to avoid damage if they fall out of the slots.

c6craig
05-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Hi Craig - perfectly normal - the rails don't "fasten in". The z-truck replacement instructions do mention that...

Page 6, Step 11...

11. Remove Z-truck from machine: Push the truck down to reveal the belt. Grab the belt and loop it over both pulleys. The Z-truck can now be removed. Note that the vertical rails are not attached to the structure and may fall out so be sure that you still have a cover over the sandpaper belts to avoid damage if they fall out of the slots.

BAH! Instructions??? LOL

Yeah, I should have checked the PDF, I was just going by the Carvetight install video and when the rails fell off it kind of threw me for a loop :)

liquidguitars
05-22-2010, 12:10 PM
super glue? not needed and could clog the bearings..

it's a good time to inspect the rods for chattering I replaced mine about 5 months ago.

LG

c6craig
05-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks LG, I have it all back together now. I did inspect the rails and they seemed pretty smooth. I did give them a light rubdown with some dry lube and then rubbed it out with a clean cloth. The Z Truck seems to be moving smoothly with no chatter.

Thanks,
Craig