PDA

View Full Version : The "Sine" Tool

Greybeard
11-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Has anyone used this tool for any purpose at all ?

I can find no way to manipulate it that could be described as useful :?

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, so I'd be glad to know.

John

Greybeard
11-07-2006, 02:43 PM
I am really trying to discover what I am doing wrong, but I cannot even flip the sine tool object .
I have made a single object with the start and finish points at the "bottom" of the sine curve so that if I flipped it they would appear at the top.
But I cannot get any result.
Would someone just try this in their software and let me know if it works or not.
Many thanks
John

Dan-Woodman
11-07-2006, 03:44 PM
I did'nt have any luck with flipping or rotating , and every time I started over it begins in the middle, wich you can click and drag the red dot to the top then drag the sine across and stop at the top.

Greybeard
11-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Thanks Dan - at least I know now that it's not me ! :)

John

Greybeard
11-08-2006, 04:12 PM
So here is what I'm trying to do.
The product is designed to be cut from 1/16 veneer which would be held down onto a temporary support.

I've drawn the outline of two fansticks in CorelDraw and exported them as greyscale jpgs.

I've imported the file into Designer and placed them on a board.

As this shows the effect of using a raster programme to carve lines, I've then tried to draw one of them in Designer. This was not without difficulty, so I've simplified the shape somewhat, and chosen a 1/16 straight bit.

Am I correct in assuming that this drawn file in Designer would be cut as a vector, or does it need converting in some way to get it to do so ?

Greybeard
11-08-2006, 04:36 PM
I've no idea why the attachment isn't visible, perhaps someone could tell me what I haven't done :(

I've just tried outline as a tool, then deleted the original, set bit to be 1/16 straight, but I still get a very jagged edge displayed. I need to have the outline as smooth as possible - no hand work finishing, otherwise the economics go down the pan.
(The original jpg file was exported at 300dpi, if it helps. )

John

Gman_Ind
11-09-2006, 10:04 AM
I did some raster to vector conversion back in the 90's some things that I had problem with back then was the curved lines were converted into small straight lines (CHORDS) the chord size might be adjustable,
could you export the file in 8 bit black and white only no greyscale? (64 bit)
the import seems to recognize a higher contrast better. did you do also try the bit optimization? can you zoom in really close to the cut line and see the jagged edges? are multiple chords present where a straight line should be?
just opend your file,
I just am now getting into the demo software. and am still a noob to the interface. When I imported your file it warned me it does not supoport the 1/16 bit? wow the cut line is represented with a jagged line, and it is cutting the same way? I see it was represented as multilple short lines nasty. I broke the segment up and tried to replaced with single lines. there are a bunch of little segments, try removing some vertex's and breaking the segments? i tried and the single lines still are jaggy? flaw in the software?

Greybeard
11-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Hi Mike.
Thanks for your observations. Like you, I'm very new to the software, and as I have been using corel on a daily basis for years, I'm finding this drawing prog a bit heavy going. :wink:

Black and white 8-bit ? The original I drew was just a black hairline, but I think you can only convert this to a .jpg if you convert it to an 8-bit "greyscale". But I may be wrong - have to check it out this evening.
Puzzled over the "not supporting the 1/16 bit" - don't know where that's coming from.

I'm thinking of starting again with a simpler shape, but still incorporating the sine object to see if I can get this licked. I want to use the machine to cut on quite a small scale, so the resolution is pretty important to me.
As I don't yet have a m/c( got to wait till next year for a 240v version to appear) I can't do a test cut myself. However, I'm sure that when I feel I've really got on top of it, someone will try it out for me :D

John

BobHill
11-09-2006, 04:59 PM
John,

I'm not sure what you used to make your objects, so I'm going to guess that you did some raster and then did some copying (and flipping) and then tried to unit it all into one path. It's supposed to work, but from what I understand, at the present time it's a bug that hasn't been yet fixed, so the loop may look like it, but it's actually still multiple unlooped paths. You can tell, of course by just observing the carving list where you see the various single items (Line 1, Line 3, Since 2, since3 with the sticks being raster.If you OutlinePattern it also completes the vector of the raster, but it's still not looped into a single object or two single objects even when you get rid of the raster object (click and delete the rectangle).

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

tbroeski
01-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Greybeard
Where did you get the 1/16" straight cutting bit? I've been looking for some.

The software doesn't support the bit, but you can use the 1/16" carving bit selection and make sure you allow for the fact that it follows centerline and not edge line. Your part will need to be 1/32" larger.

T

BobHill
01-04-2007, 12:46 PM
John,

Take your "sticks" raster and in Designer use the vector Outline Pattern tool, then delete your raster image. This now becomes a vector image and you can use vector tools to do any editing you might need. Once complete, assign a bit for cutting it out. The outline cut will be a lot cleaner and will be 90° to the wood which the raster and carving bit can't do.

Bob

Greybeard
01-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Happy New Year Bob.
Thanks for the method. I'll keep it by me till I get back to trying out more ideas in Designer.
At the moment I'm concentrating on a setup to produce good greyscale images for import.
John

Greybeard
01-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Bob, i've just had a quick go at it, but because I'm out of practice I can't get my head round converting my imported library file.
When I import my line drawing from corelphotopaint as a jpg, it comes in with a rectangular outline, so this is what the outline tool sees.
I know there is a method of losing the rectangle, because I've done it before, but for the life of me I can't remember how to do it. I know you can "raise" and "lower" in the import window, but I cannot see in detail what this does, and I'm not sure if this is part of the method.
Could you post a "Brain-dead" list of instructions for me and others like me, suffering from senior moments ! :)
John

Jeff_Birt
01-04-2007, 03:54 PM
The background of your image needs to be solid black #000000. Then you can raise/lower until the background dissapears.

Greybeard
01-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Thanks, Jeff, it comes back to me now. :D
Perhaps it's time for the nightcap etc. as it's midnight here !!!
John

BobHill
01-04-2007, 09:14 PM
That way works for me too, Jeff

Bob

Darryl A
11-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Had same trouble, could not rotate sine. Found a FREE plugin, works with corel, photoshop. here's the link
http://pcwin.com/Multimedia___Design/Harmonix/index.htm
Only available for windows (so sorry macs)
This does EVERYTHING the sine tool should do, enjoy!
(PS, this is my first post, my CW should arrive tmw, can't wait)