PDA

View Full Version : I really want to like this machine

Roadrigger
05-21-2010, 12:46 PM
Is anybody else disappointed with the amount of maintenance involved with this machine. I don't know if anyone else is experiencing the amount of problems like I am but Here goes my rant.

I have had this machine for a little over a year (just enough to void warranty) and I only have 38 hours....thats right 38 hours on this machine. I have had to stop my last 10 projects, yes 10, because of many different problems. All of which are going to cost me more money according to carvewright. I receive the Y axis error almost every time, then there's the 303 and 313 error. Then my LCD screen would freeze up and I would have to turn the machine off then back on... and now it seems that my flex shaft does not fit properly into the cut motor. Today I thought I was on the right track, I got 58% done a carving then heard the motor quiet down.. I rant out to my shop to notice that the bit was not spinning. I released the flex shaft from the Z pack and to my dismay, once I have the shaft seated in the cut motor, there's nothing left on the other side for the bit to hold.

For a 38 hour machine and the tender loving care I give this machine ( I keep it on a case on wheels) I am really wondering if it was worth the money. Considering that its going to cost me even MORE money to get it working properly. a new flex shaft is 75.00, plus the new cut motor they recomend is another 150.00. I can understand replacing it after reasonable time but not 38 hours... I really don't want to badmouth Carvewright but nobody wants to help me resolve this without spending at least 300.00 or more dollars. Any suggestions on how I can end up with a working machine, without all the extra $$$? Please help.. All I want to do is carve!

alan.galbraith
05-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Is your machine a new one or used one? I bought a used one for less than half the price of new, and am now on my way to spending more on the upgrades and repair parts then I did for the used machine. I'm going to keep trying for a while longer to see if mine will keep going.

Don't get too offensive, I did and now have a few bridges that are burnt.

Good luck. I really hope it works out for you.

mtylerfl
05-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Is anybody else disappointed with the amount of maintenance involved with this machine. I don't know if anyone else is experiencing the amount of problems like I am but Here goes my rant.

I have had this machine for a little over a year (just enough to void warranty) and I only have 38 hours....thats right 38 hours on this machine. I have had to stop my last 10 projects, yes 10, because of many different problems. All of which are going to cost me more money according to carvewright. I receive the Y axis error almost every time, then there's the 303 and 313 error. Then my LCD screen would freeze up and I would have to turn the machine off then back on... and now it seems that my flex shaft does not fit properly into the cut motor. Today I thought I was on the right track, I got 58% done a carving then heard the motor quiet down.. I rant out to my shop to notice that the bit was not spinning. I released the flex shaft from the Z pack and to my dismay, once I have the shaft seated in the cut motor, there's nothing left on the other side for the bit to hold.

For a 38 hour machine and the tender loving care I give this machine ( I keep it on a case on wheels) I am really wondering if it was worth the money. Considering that its going to cost me even MORE money to get it working properly. a new flex shaft is 75.00, plus the new cut motor they recomend is another 150.00. I can understand replacing it after reasonable time but not 38 hours... I really don't want to badmouth Carvewright but nobody wants to help me resolve this without spending at least 300.00 or more dollars. Any suggestions on how I can end up with a working machine, without all the extra $$$? Please help.. All I want to do is carve!

Hello,

I am very sorry you are having trouble. One puzzling item is you report "to my dismay, once I have the shaft seated in the cut motor, there's nothing left on the other side for the bit to hold". To me, this might indicate that the end of the flexshaft that inserts into the motor end is not seated/lined up properly in the receptacle of the cut motor. If it was, I don't know how it's possible for the flex shaft to extend so far into the spindle that you wouldn't have room to hold a bit.

I detect a potential for other possible "user causes" for some of your problems and I am really hoping that you can get everything resolved soon by searching the forum for solutions to the error codes you are receiving, getting some additional feedback from several capable troubleshooters here, reading the Tips & Tricks, and of course, contacting CarveWright Tech Support, if necessary, while you are at your machine so they can lead you through some troubleshooting steps.

The machine is indeed a lot of fun (normally) and I think once you can get over this hurdle, you'll start enjoying yours as much as we do.

alan.galbraith
05-21-2010, 02:07 PM
After reading you initial post, could the cover shield for the shaft have come loose from the motor side and therefore is covering the end for the z truck?

Roadrigger
05-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Hello,

I am very sorry you are having trouble. One puzzling item is you report "to my dismay, once I have the shaft seated in the cut motor, there's nothing left on the other side for the bit to hold". To me, this might indicate that the end of the flexshaft that inserts into the motor end is not seated/lined up properly in the receptacle of the cut motor. If it was, I don't know how it's possible for the flex shaft to extend so far into the spindle that you wouldn't have room to hold a bit.

I detect a potential for other possible "user causes" for some of your problems and I am really hoping that you can get everything resolved soon by searching the forum for solutions to the error codes you are receiving, getting some additional feedback from several capable troubleshooters here, reading the Tips & Tricks, and of course, contacting CarveWright Tech Support, if necessary, while you are at your machine so they can lead you through some troubleshooting steps.

The machine is indeed a lot of fun (normally) and I think once you can get over this hurdle, you'll start enjoying yours as much as we do.

Thanks Michael T

What I was referring to, when I turn the flex shaft so that it gets "seated" in the cut motor on one side, there is nothing left on the other. Almost like its too short. the other end gets buried in the sheathing and none is protruding. When the problem happens during carving I have to pause the machine, reset the flex-shaft then continue.. This happens about 3-4 times during a 1 1/2 hour carving..(If I don't get a Y axis error first). I think Im gonna break down and get a new flex-shaft and compare the new to old one. I just don't feel that I should fork out my own money for something still new. I appreciate the info and recommendations and I still will continue to search the forum for answers to unsolved questions of mine. Thank you all out there for your knowledge and expertise for us "beginners". I would have had it under a truck by now if I wasn't able to ask for advice.

Kevin

Roadrigger
05-21-2010, 02:52 PM
After reading you initial post, could the cover shield for the shaft have come loose from the motor side and therefore is covering the end for the z truck?

Alan,

My machine was brand new but I will check the cover and see if what you recommended is a potential problem.

Kevin

mtylerfl
05-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks Michael T

What I was referring to, when I turn the flex shaft so that it gets "seated" in the cut motor on one side, there is nothing left on the other. Almost like its too short. the other end gets buried in the sheathing and none is protruding. When the problem happens during carving I have to pause the machine, reset the flex-shaft then continue.. This happens about 3-4 times during a 1 1/2 hour carving..(If I don't get a Y axis error first). I think Im gonna break down and get a new flex-shaft and compare the new to old one. I just don't feel that I should fork out my own money for something still new. I appreciate the info and recommendations and I still will continue to search the forum for answers to unsolved questions of mine. Thank you all out there for your knowledge and expertise for us "beginners". I would have had it under a truck by now if I wasn't able to ask for advice.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I have an idea - take the flex shaft core out and measure it - one of us can report back to you with the measurement of one of ours. Be interesting to see if there is indeed a difference.

Note to AL ...can you think of anything else he could check as to why the flex shaft isn't engaging properly?

liquidguitars
05-21-2010, 03:09 PM
What I was referring to, when I turn the flex shaft so that it gets "seated" in the cut motor on one side, there is nothing left on the other. Almost like its too short.

Sometimes this is caused by the flexshaft tip " flexshaft support tube" coming loose from the sheath you will need to push it back and super glue " epoxy works 2 and will give more time to adjust" it so it will not loosen. Make sure you jam in into the shaft as far back as possible and get the support wire in alignment. I would do a dry run first.

check the suport tube (http://www.carvewright.com/images/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_replace_flexshaft_sheath.pdf)
LG

Roadrigger
05-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Sometimes this is caused by the flexshaft tip " flexshaft support tube" coming loose from the sheath you will need to push it back and super glue " epoxy works 2 and will give more time to adjust" it so it will not loosen. Make sure you jam in into the shaft as far back as possible and get the support wire in alignment. I would do a dry run first.

check the suport tube (http://www.carvewright.com/images/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_replace_flexshaft_sheath.pdf)
LG

LG,

I was just researching this link. Thanks for all your help, guys, I will check the tip tonight and report back tomorrow! Have a great friday night everyone!
thanks again

Kevin

Digitalwoodshop
05-21-2010, 07:49 PM
It is possible that the rubber outside has become un glued and is making the outer tube longer. Remove the flex and examine both ends.

The outer connector ends have been known to slip off.

Also if the flex is not properly seated in the cut motor then the inner flex will look short...

On the cut motor end, it inserts and twists to lock it in.

Let us know what you have found.

AL