PDA

View Full Version : Bottle Stopper

coop2739
05-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Looking for a double sided carve of an English Royal Lion that can be used as the top of a bottle stopper. Anyone have or know of such a pattern? Thanks in advance.:rolleyes:

atauer
05-21-2010, 09:09 AM
If I remember correctly, RouterJim had posted up a pic of a lion he had done for a screwdriver handle or beer tap...

I think that it was carved using the machine, but I could be wrong. Maybe he can chime in on this?

c6craig
05-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Here is the post for you:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=14841&highlight=tap+handle&page=3

Router-Jim says: "I scanned the lion head and then did a 2 sided carve on a 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 x 11 piece of cherry. I then turned the handle on the lathe."

Good luck,
Craig

atauer
05-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Yep, that's the one. Good job locating it. I knew it was here, but couldn't find it.

Router-Jim
05-21-2010, 12:16 PM
If I remember correctly, RouterJim had posted up a pic of a lion he had done for a screwdriver handle or beer tap...

I think that it was carved using the machine, but I could be wrong. Maybe he can chime in on this?

Yep Alex that was me. I scanned a lion knicknack I found. I have the scan at home on another computer. I can probably post it tomorrow as we have plans for tonight.

coop2739
05-24-2010, 05:13 AM
Thank you all for the information about the Lion Head Tap Handle it looks exactly like what I was looking for. I sent a PM to Router-Jim to see if I could possibly get the pattern. Thanks again.

Router-Jim
05-24-2010, 07:03 AM
Had a very busy weekend. Here is the scan. Everyone is welcome to use it but no one has permission to put it in the pattern store. Fair enough?

Carve on.

Jcpb321
05-24-2010, 08:38 AM
Router Jim,
I went to the referenced post and since no one ribbed you like you thought here it is, what were you thinking?????

I think that is one he... of a job, both on the pattern and the turning job, my thoughts are how! I have done my share of turning with the 3 lathes I own, everything from miniature christmas trees and acorn birdhouses to 300 piece segmented bowls. I keep looking at your work and asking myself if I could duplicate that TAP handle, you have got a good eye, make one thing, then recognize it later!

Someone asked me one time about where I got my designs for my wine stoppers, thought about it a couple minutes and told them I don't, I just start cuttin and what comes out is my feelings, actually it was where the mistakes happened and were covered up.

Great job, everyone must have been stunned was why you got no ribbin!

Oh, thanks for the head and I'll see how it looks on my tap!

John

Router-Jim
05-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Hey John, thanks for the ribbing. LOL :lol:

I am like you when it comes to turning. I might sketch a rough design but then I just turn until it looks and feel right. :cool:

Good luck with your tap.

Jcpb321
05-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Router Jim,
I have some 2 1/8 cherry and about the same size walnut so I am going to try one with in the next couple days will let you know how I do!

John

Router-Jim
05-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Router Jim,
I have some 2 1/8 cherry and about the same size walnut so I am going to try one with in the next couple days will let you know how I do!

John

If you are going to use some kind of insert, then drill the hole while the blank is still square and plug it with a dowel for the lathe work. It would be pretty hard to get the hole centered once the lion head is carved.

I look forward to a picture when you are done. :cool:

Kenm810
05-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Wanted to play around in Designer with the Tap Handles.
Thanks again Jim for the Loin's Head mpc,
I made a 2 sided carve design for my son's Home Draft System. :wink:

Router-Jim
05-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Ken that looks really cool. I bet your son is going to be surprised. :cool:

Jcpb321
05-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Ken,

They look great, I have mine in the CW as I write this, using walnut and the 1st side looked great.

Router Jim, I'll be sure to post a pic when/ if I get 'er done!

John