PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Safety

Spanglerg@hotmail.com
05-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Interesting Clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&NR=1 :(

pkunk
05-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Yep, after the second 'incedent' of my fingers contacting a sharp spinny thing, I bought one of those. Expensive, but worth every dime! I spend so many hours every day in front of a tablesaw that sooner or later, reaction wood or inattentiveness will get the upper hand. I'm still careful but have something else to help keep my fingers where they belong.
The other plus to that saw is the quality, fit & finish is at the top of the spectrum.

c6craig
05-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Can't say enough about the one I got as well. Top notch saw and great to have the extra safety there as well. You never know...

Craig

EDIT - By the way - here are a few pics of what happens when you trip the blade. Pics aren't the best as my hands were still a bit shaky :) Now how much was a finger or two worth these days?? ;) Happens so fast you will be standing there thinking "what the hell, my saw just broke and my blade is gone.." It actually takes a minute to realize what just happened.

jaroot
05-20-2010, 11:11 PM
My buddy has one of these and the best thing about it is that it IS a quality piece of equipment.

c6craig
05-20-2010, 11:18 PM
My buddy has one of these and the best thing about it is that it IS a quality piece of equipment.

I love it. Coming from a Craftsman contractor style table saw, this thing is like going from a Prius to a Corvette....

Craig

eromran
05-21-2010, 06:46 AM
Does anyone have a link where to get one of these.THANKS

Kenm810
05-21-2010, 07:16 AM
Here Ya Go,

http://www.sawstop.com/procabinet/pcs175/?gclid=CKyAmoua46ECFQfxDAodsn2_Iw

http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/sawstop.aspx?keyword=sawstop&refcode=06INGOOG&gclid=CKG3tZqb46ECFRMeDQodvG4eJQ

eromran
05-21-2010, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the link wish i had that a couple years back luckly all i lost was the very tip of my thumb you can hardly tell now but it makes you think.

Kenm810
05-21-2010, 07:41 AM
If you or anyone is thinking about getting the SawStop,
I've read that the company encourages users to send in the spent cartridges when they touch the blade for further analysis,
and they said that they will send the user a free replacement cartridge in these instances
(brake cartridges cost $69 for a 10” blade and $89 for an 8” dado).

c6craig
05-21-2010, 08:05 AM
If you or anyone is thinking about getting the SawStop,
I've read that the company encourages users to send in the spent cartridges when they touch the blade for further analysis,
and they said that they will send the user a free replacement cartridge in these instances
(brake cartridges cost $69 for a 10” blade and $89 for an 8” dado).

Or you can hang it on the shop wall as a $69 reminder to SLOW DOWN and THINK :) That's where mine is :p

Craig

JDPratt
05-21-2010, 08:16 AM
I hope this doesn't start a series of SS threads like on other forums that never seem to end. Congrats to those who got the saw you want, but please don't let this thread devolve into a referendum on why everyone should have a SS. A better direction would be to give a short description of what you were doing or the mistakes made when you had an accident or tripped the SS flesh sensing technology (kickback, splitter use, guard use, inattention, etc...). This could help newer TS users from making the same mistakes. Sorry for the rant, but I have seen the direction this is going before. Stay safe.

John

c6craig
05-21-2010, 09:13 AM
I hope this doesn't start a series of SS threads like on other forums that never seem to end. Congrats to those who got the saw you want, but please don't let this thread devolve into a referendum on why everyone should have a SS. A better direction would be to give a short description of what you were doing or the mistakes made when you had an accident or tripped the SS flesh sensing technology (kickback, splitter use, guard use, inattention, etc...). This could help newer TS users from making the same mistakes. Sorry for the rant, but I have seen the direction this is going before. Stay safe.

John

Why does this bother you enough for a rant? The topic of the thread is Table Saw Safety and is a link to the SawStop video. We have only been talking about the SS, nobody is saying everyone should have one, and nobody is saying "My SS is better than your insertbrandhere"...

To each their own...

Craig

Smoken D
05-21-2010, 09:19 AM
Can't find it right now but back East there was a law suit where I believe Delta was sued from a guy I think cut off his finger and the basis of the suit was that Delta did not have a stop system that may have prevented fingers from being cut off. The Saw Stop was used to demonstrate the system. Jury awarded big amount.

atauer
05-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the link wish i had that a couple years back luckly all i lost was the very tip of my thumb you can hardly tell now but it makes you think.

Same here, except mine happened back in high school about 8 years ago. Took off the tip of my index finger and cut down into the rest of my fingers. Blade was maybe 1/16th of an inch taller than the material I was cutting, but it still took my by surprise.

Inattentiveness is probably one of the worst things to have in a shop.

c6craig
05-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Can't find it right now but back East there was a law suit where I believe Delta was sued from a guy I think cut off his finger and the basis of the suit was that Delta did not have a stop system that may have prevented fingers from being cut off. The Saw Stop was used to demonstrate the system. Jury awarded big amount.

Wow, I can't believe that. Delta never advertised that they have a stop system, so why would you expect it? That would open up frivolous lawsuits for all manufacturers of any power tool. Crazy world..

Craig

alan.galbraith
05-21-2010, 10:24 AM
I believe the inventor of the SawStop cartridge did not want to build table saws. He wanted the current makers to include his system. I believe it was stated that it would add $150 to the cost of their table saws. They didn't want to do that. So he started making his own. They look like very well made saws.

I too had an incident with my table saw. Did lose any fingers but two fingers are numb at the tips. Orthopedic surgeon did a great job. I counted at least five mistakes when this happened. Main one, taking the guard off. I'm not sueing Sears because of my stupidity.

pine acres woodshop
05-21-2010, 10:44 AM
I seen this demonstrated at a woodworking show with a hot dog, very cool.

CSPURGEON
05-21-2010, 11:12 AM

Here is an article (http://www.techdirt.com/blog.php?company=sawstop&edition=techdirt) regarding the lawsuit.

John

Isn't this the point of a forum to have discussion regarding a topic. Who knows where the discussion will go. It's not like when you are talking to friends you establish a subject and never have tangents. I have seen threads posted where people end up talking about where they live. Oh and they ended up getting together to purchase wood from the other. And by posting your comment you just made me write more about it than the subject that the whole forum is about.

JDPratt
05-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Why does this bother you enough for a rant? The topic of the thread is Table Saw Safety and is a link to the SawStop video. We have only been talking about the SS, nobody is saying everyone should have one, and nobody is saying "My SS is better than your insertbrandhere"...

To each their own...

Craig

I am sorry if you took it the wrong way. It was not my intention to bash anyone who has a sawstop (hard to convey in written text). Others who are members of the "other forum" will attest that SS threads tend to get out of hand sometimes. The threads usually devolve into "My saw is better than your saw, because..." I welcome discussion on safety and making everyone a safer, diligent, and better woodworker. Let's just say I was trying to make a preemptive rant that I would rather evolve the thread into safety and lessons learned than "Everyone should own this saw, because..." If you had seen some of the threads I am talking about, I think you might know more about where I am coming from. Sorry that I didn't convey my sentiment better.

alan.galbraith
05-21-2010, 12:56 PM
Since I can't see the youtube that started this initial thread, I thought it was about the SS. Wish I could afford the SS. Maybe if I do enough carves, I'll be able to.

alan.galbraith
05-21-2010, 03:58 PM
again, my brain is working faster than my fingers.

I meant to say, didn't lose any fingers.

jaroot
05-21-2010, 08:46 PM
And that is exactly one of the things that is wrong with this country.
"Oh, I stuck my finger in the blade of my table saw. It must be Delta's fault." And then some dumb jury awarded him a lot of money. How ridiculous can we get. :confused:

Sorry for the rant, kinda!