PDA

View Full Version : Small cutouts?

pkunk
11-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Bob Hill or anyone? I would like to remove all the areas of this with the red dots. The areas in between the double lines are solid wood. The Diameter is 2" and thickness is 1/8". Is this possible? I would clean up the sharp corners by hand.

shaddy
11-05-2006, 06:30 PM
2" in diameter is pretty small for an 1/8" cutting bit. You should Scrollsaw it.

Here's what I did in CW

Shaddy

pkunk
11-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Thanks Shaddy, that's what I thought. A fret saw is what I was going to use. Could you enlighten me in the steps used to import that and then get to the cut tool? I'd appreciate it!

shaddy
11-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Sure, I brought it in to Paint Shop Pro (I'm assuming the other imaging progs will work the same). I deleted red spots, changed to black and white to clear up grey areas, changed to grey scale, used the paint fill tool to make the areas black (like on my jpg). Then i copied it to the clipboard.

Then I just imported into CW and lowered once. I made the object have an Outline, then I deleted the original jpg, so only the outlines were left. THen made the outline a cutline.

Shaddy

BobHill
11-09-2006, 05:16 PM
PKUNK,

Actually I do that all the time on thin material,using a thicker carrier, of course. What type of wood are you using? I use a lot of 3/32" cherry, walnut, and especially basswood and although I have to really consider the angle of the cut, I've found for the softer basswood, I can use a 1/16th cutting bit (found from any outfit that has them for use in Dremel type tools and usually used in the circuit board industry (www.WoodCraft.com usually has them for use in their Proto rotary type tool). You can fit it to the Quick Release and use that too. But the standard carving bit will also work as long as you take the angle into consideration and make the outline in vector for cutting (ignor the cutting bit LED message and use the carving bit in this case). Give it a try.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida