PDA

View Full Version : How much is this forum worth to you?

CSPURGEON
05-20-2010, 09:37 AM
I had an interesting conversation with my Uncle the other night about the CW and the forum/community that follows it. The funny thing was that he is in the market for a larger CNC Router and was thinking of buying a ShopBot at one time, he has now moved on to a different machine but is weeks away from ordering one. I guess ShopBot has the same type of community that helps each other out like the CW. He saw this as a benefit but has not really added it to helping him purchase the machine. My thoughts were this forum is worth a lot of money to someone like me and cannot believe someone could pass up the opportunity to have a community of users help you out.

So thanks to everyone for the help and discussion, has anyone else used this in their decision making about certain types of equipment or software?

JDPratt
05-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Without the forum, the CW probably would have not been purchased. If by some chance I did purchase it without the forum, it would have either been sold or junked long ago.

Because I think there is definitely a learning curve, it is only through the forums help that I have been able to work through those issues.

Additionally, for those of us who are not computer saavy (I'm technologically challenged), making my own patterns would have never met the capabilities of the machine and I would have given up without knowing what the machine can do. Even now that I have figured out the basics of the machine, if the forum went away, so would the machine.

John

MCGEE2SKINNER
05-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Hi
If not for the forum I would have juked the cw. I would have missed out on hours of enjoyment. THANKS TO EVERYONE ON THE FORUM
Jim McGee

dbfletcher
05-20-2010, 01:25 PM
I like to look at it like I've paid $2400 for my forum membership and got a free CW. When it breaks... I just say... well.. heck is was free.. thank god I have the forum membership to help me get it working again.

Doug Fletcher

eelamb
05-20-2010, 02:41 PM
With all the negative publicity about the CW, if not for the forum, I would not have purchased it. The forum gave a true assessment of the CW good and bad, allowing me to make the right choice.

alan.galbraith
05-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Right now, the forum is the only thing that is keeping going. I'll put a few more dollars into it, but so far, I'm still not impressed. I thought when I upgraded with the new z bundle and the rock chuck all my problems would be resolved. see my other post.

alan.galbraith
05-20-2010, 03:00 PM
meant to say "keeping me going", my fingers don't work as fast as my brain. Boy I must be a real slow typer:p

lawrence
05-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Agreed... if not for the folks that give so much (Michael, Bud, Rob, BJB, Jerry, Ken, and many many more) I would not have ever bought a carvewright (though I have to admit there are one or two here that can be so abrasive that it almost prevented me from joining) This all being said, thank you to all for the support, tutorials, help, and encouragement!

Lawrence

chebytrk
05-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Definately the forum is what makes the Carvewright what it is. Still have alot to learn, but with this many good people here and the patience they have...... I'll make it just fine!

toocwhatisaw
05-20-2010, 04:06 PM
the forum is worht gold to me with out it i would have a high dollar pile of junk but only junk because i would not know how to start to work it. Thank's to everyone out there with the right advice at the right time every time.

c6craig
05-20-2010, 04:12 PM
I didn't even know about the forum when I bought my first CW. But I can gaurantee I wouldn't still have my first CW if I didn't find it, and now I am up to 3 machines. Too bad we can't all be neighbors and we can just walk across the street with a beer for advice exchange, but this is definitely the next best thing. The list of people that have helped me with my machine, or patterns, or projects, etc. are WAY too long to try to list, so I will just say...

THANKS TO ALL!

Craig

geekviking
05-20-2010, 04:19 PM
This is BY FAR the friendliest, helpful, and dare I say caring forum, I've had the pleasure to be a part of. THANK YOU TO ALL for your help, advice, patterns and friendships. It worth more that the machine could ever cost. :cool:

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
05-20-2010, 04:35 PM
The forum and the wesite in general are a plethora of information. Tips and Tricks, PDF's, How to's, and users support are priceless. The ideas other share are refreshing and pattern sharing is great. The forum has made my CW experience a good one. I have had lots and lots of help with my CW from others when i couldnt find the answer. I have learned alot and try to give back when possible.

pine acres woodshop
05-20-2010, 04:47 PM
I had purchased a machine and then I found out about the forum. Lots of valuable information here.

Metalhead781
05-20-2010, 04:52 PM
If it wasn't for the forum absorbing my frustration and angst when it's not doing what it should i would have placed a rather large fast projectile through it. Yes you are wondering and no, the projectile isn't a bit and adapter from the old QC.

BBrooks
05-20-2010, 05:16 PM
The user forum was what helped me decide to purchase my CW. I lurked for quite a while, joined, asked a few questions and have learned more than I could put a value on from a collective group of very motivated, helpful and forward thinking folks. Just search for "looking for" and see how many hits you get of people just making 100's of damn nice looking free patterns for someone.
Give yourselves a round of applause and thank you from a former newbie. :)
Cheers,

spalted
05-20-2010, 05:20 PM
I just mentioned this in another thread recently, but the forums and and LHR record of support were a major factor in my decision to buy a CW.

This thing is not a bullet proof old table saw, we all have or will need a little help and advise at some point, and it's great to have a place to get it.

It's also been a good source of ideas and a place to brainstorm ideas with other members when I'm stuck and need design help too.

rncurrie
05-20-2010, 06:01 PM
I too want to thank everyone for the information and caring the form gives. I don't write much but I read it nearly every day. Many days I'm reading it several times.
Thanks again to everyone.
Richard

Old Salt
05-20-2010, 06:15 PM
C W 2000.00
bits 400.00
centerline 200.00
software 500.00
Form Priceless.

forqnc
05-21-2010, 06:44 AM
I sold my machine in December, and I am still hanging out here. Trying to keep up to date until I am in a position to buy another one.

Kenm810
05-21-2010, 07:03 AM
forqnc,

Hang in there, even if your not carving, -- your knowledge of the Machine and shared info is valued the same as anyone else's on the CW Forum.
A little suggestion or thought on a pattern, project or carving may be just the bit of encouragement and info other folks are looking for. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

ChrisAlb
05-21-2010, 10:03 AM
This forum is priceless in my humble opinion. I belong to many types of forums and the "family" atmosphere here is second to none!

Even though I can no longer carve and haven't for some time now, I still come here to read what all my friends (new and old) write. Brings a smile to my face to do so. :grin:

CSPURGEON
05-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Sorry if I get too into the business/finance side of this but I would be interested to see what CW has set for the value of the forum within their financial statements? Clearly most if not all of the users agree that this forum makes the product so how much is it truly worth. I'm going for my Masters right now, hopefully in a the future I will have a chance to calculate such value or should I say have an assignment to do so.

I appreciate everyone's input on all matters within the forum and it has brought me to a whole new level within woodworking and especially preforming tasks on the CW.

I like to look at it like I've paid $2400 for my forum membership and got a free CW. When it breaks... I just say... well.. heck is was free.. thank god I have the forum membership to help me get it working again.

Doug Fletcher

I got my machine for free also Doug!

DocWheeler
05-21-2010, 05:58 PM
I just wanted to say that I have not been a member of a "forum" before being one here. It has allowed me to feel a part of something that is good, gave me access to good ideas, access to help when needed, and a place to get my ego stroked on occasion.

All in all it ranks right up there with the machine itself (as others have said).

andes
05-21-2010, 06:33 PM
This Forum is priceless! The members give freely there skills, advice, share their designs and knowledge of the system. I belong to serveral forums, but this forum is well rounded, they not only help each other with CW issues, they also share help and assistance on other issue, such as woodworking, carving, where the best tool deals are, share stories and good /bad times. This forum consist of cw family members, not just cw owners.

JMD
05-21-2010, 07:27 PM
If we didn't have this forum, I would have junked mt CW long ago.

lynnfrwd
01-25-2011, 03:05 PM
I found this cool little thread and decided I would make a post and STICK it to the ONLINE TOOLS section. The CarveWright Forum is definitely THE MOST valuable online tool we have.

How much is this forum worth to me?
Well, I think this forum is greatly responsible for me having a job...which I love! I'm not sure LHR & CarveWright would have had its success without the support, encouragement, dedication and passion of the members of this community forum. There are so many different talents and gifts that each of you have brought to this group and freely share. You are all a part of this company. You have certainly taken a load off the backs of our customer support staff, pushed us in research and development, acted as our quality control, trained our customers (new & old), inspired creativity among us and been the ultimate sales force for the CarveWright System.

We Thank You!!

CarverJerry
01-25-2011, 03:23 PM
How could we get along with out our forum? With all the help from each other, all the free patterns, tips on how to do everything from repairs to making carvable patterns. Then we have some that go the extra steps and make video files that explain how to do different things with the designer program and the machine, thanks AskBud and others that make the after market parts to help our machines run better. And now with the new Forum design and Jonny's web page this is gonna be the best forum on the WWW. My thanks to all my extended families here on the forum. I couldn't do with out.

CarverJerry

Capt Bruce
01-25-2011, 10:05 PM
To all my Forum Family and Friends,

I can't say it any better than expressed above. You have all become trusted mentors, colleagues in a shared craft, trusted advisors and friends I look forward to hearing from daily. I was a lurker long before I could get my own system, but when it finally arrived I was already far along the road to using it correctly and safely. And to date you have generously helped me learn how to also use it creatively.

I had been on the fence as to what machine would do what I wanted to carve. The Forum showed me what the CW could do far beyond what I had been imagining. You have been the helpful voices that have taught me at each new level and help me keep it humming. (Okay so it's a bit louder than that, says he wearing Mickey Mouse ears in the shop). My very sincere Thanks.

SharonB
01-26-2011, 01:11 AM
From the day I bought my machine and joined the forum I became a Carvaholic. And even though I've never meet the people that participate and give freely of their time and talent I feel we are one worldwide family, always there to support and offer encouragement if and when needed. On the days I'm unable to check the forum and see what eveyone is doing is like a small piece of my world is lost.

Like all Carvaholic's... I can't get enough carving time crammed into a single day to stop the craving to create. This forum serves as that "extra shot in the arm" until I can get back out in the shop. I look forward to the day we are able to have a Convention and therefore able to meet each and everyone of you.

Frederick_P
01-26-2011, 09:40 AM
I am simply amazed at the plethora of information, help and personal assistance that this forum provides. Some members (we all know who they are!) take so much of their own time to examine people's files, research obscure questions, run tests on their own machines and bring to the table a wealth of experience, intelligence and creative insight that is hard to find anywhere else. Without this forum, most of us would have hit the wall with our machines long ago. I try to check it every day and I am always amazed at the profound sense of community the members here have. There are few pieces of equipment that inspire such passion from its owners. Thanks to everyone who have contributed in any way!

blantz
01-26-2011, 11:24 AM
I too have never been a member of a forum before. When I purchased my Carvewright I joined to see what it was all about. I was pleased with all the friendly members and the help they provided. Just reading about the issues the machine had or operator error helped me to avoid or minimize the problems. I’m hooked now, can’t go a day without logging on to read what’s new and exciting.
This forum and everyone here deserve a pat on the back. Thanks

gwhiz
01-26-2011, 11:39 AM
I have been, and still am, in a number of other forums, but none as involved and cooperative as this one. Thanks to all!

Mikewiz
01-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Since moving into my new apartment, I haven't been able to use my cw. I have to wait for warmer weather cause I can only use it outside. But I'm on this forum everyday absorbing the wealth of info it has.

cnsranch
01-26-2011, 02:36 PM
If anyone wants to know just how valuable the Forum is, go to any Senior Member's profile (especially the one's with zillions of posts), and look at their posts - go to the first few posts they made, and you'll get a feel for just how much the Forum educates every one here.

At the risk of speaking for all, each one of us made rookie mistakes, we were all newbies, etc (well, except maybe for MT and AW). I'm still making them, but I know where to go for the best support, free or not.

Thanks, guys - can't say it enough.

AskBud
01-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Since moving into my new apartment, I haven't been able to use my cw. I have to wait for warmer weather cause I can only use it outside. But I'm on this forum everyday absorbing the wealth of info it has.
While you are waiting on warm weather, it would be a super time to make hay with the scanning probe! Think of all the pattern you might be making from various things you can scan.
AskBud

fwharris
01-26-2011, 05:46 PM
I found about the forum around the same time I melted down my flex shaft.

After finding out that Sears had no clue what a CompuCarve was and seeing LHRs number in the back of the manual and making a call, they informed me of the new lube procedure and of course the CW Forum. They even sent me a knew flex shaft assembly :-) .

It was my very first sign up for any kind of forum and I soon found out about all of the great people who are here and how they will go out of their way to help the new carvers. Like Jerry (CNSRANCH) posted about the senior members and their posts, I went back into the archives and read just about every post from the start of the forum. At the time I was more than over whelmed with the things they were talking about and what they were doing with the machine. After many long blurry cross eyed nights of reading and then trying/applying their tips and techniques with the software and machine the light bulb was on and the fire started...

Many thanks to those who were here before me (hope some do still check in on occasion), to those who came on line with me and to those who have joined since..

Ike
01-28-2011, 09:37 PM
I enjoy the forum for the friendship with all the wonderful people I have met online and wish I can meet in person! I have learned so much and have talked to a few members on the phone and talk to Robert Dages almost every week! Whenever I need a pattern without fail I am helped! If I have a question about a problem with my CW it is answered!

How much is this forum worth? You can't put a price on it!

Ike

pkunk
01-30-2011, 10:24 PM
I was one of the early Beta testers and back in Feb. of '06 LHR decided to have this forum. They asked for volunteers to help run it. I was in the early stages of learning and testing the Mac software and found some great people here as well as thousands of spammers. I stayed on to try and keep this place running smoothly and when I had the time to play with the CW. I am a cabinetmaker and mostly use the CW for drilling shelf pin holes. Consequently, most of you have far surpassed me in creating carvings.
Believe it or not, my second machine (the Beta died sorta after 300 hours) only has about 275 hours on it and I still use the QC chuck. When I have a problem or need some help on a carving, the forum members are eager to help. My CW has never been back to Texas because the availability of parts and the knowledge here has always allowed me to be able to repair it in my shop. Keep informing the Mods of the spammers, & we'll do our best to ban them & delete the junk.

Ike
02-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Today I was touched in the heart from a young boy named Luke, whose Grandpa is a member of this forum and is in the hospital. This young man is mature beyond his age of 14 and even though miles between him and his "Poppy" he has a connections of woodworking. A bond from his Poppy making gifts for him and his siblings and now that his Poppy is ill, Luke and his family will be moving to be close to his Poppy. Luke now wants to learn how to use the tools his Poppy used. One being the CW and which brings hope when Poppy comes home his gifts will be great!

Today at church the sermon was on spiritual gifts or talents. We seem to focus on the "spiritual" aspects of our talents and reading the gifts some us think I do not have these gifts and put it out of our mind. But these gifts of talent are not confined to just speaking in tongues or interpreting etc. Our talents are different and like the body we are made of many parts. So is this forum without all of us we are not a whole!

We have members who helps other keep things going and members who shows how things are done! We have other that are quick to share patterns to advice! So anybody thinking you can not help because of being new or not experience. You are wrong you may have knowledge of computers others may not. Or have expertise in areas others do not!

How much is this forum worth to me? Without every member of this forum it would be worthless!

Sorry for the mini sermon, but I needed to share what was on my heart!

Ike

lynnfrwd
02-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Loved it, Ike!

chebytrk
02-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Well said Ike. Came from the heart and couldn't have said it any better myself. Reading Luke's Intro really touched my heart and made me wish I knew more so I can help him make something really great and even inspirational project. I'm one of those that have been around for awhile, but still have a long way to go before I would consider myself a woodcraftsman. However, I truly hope that we can all help Poppy (Luke). I'm sure he'll be elated when he sees his first "masterpiece" that he's carved himself. It's almost like a story that I can hardly wait to get to the "good part" cause I know what's going to happen already (since we have a great "family" forum here).

Ike
02-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Well said Ike. Came from the heart and couldn't have said it any better myself. Reading Luke's Intro really touched my heart and made me wish I knew more so I can help him make something really great and even inspirational project. I'm one of those that have been around for awhile, but still have a long way to go before I would consider myself a woodcraftsman. However, I truly hope that we can all help Poppy (Luke). I'm sure he'll be elated when he sees his first "masterpiece" that he's carved himself. It's almost like a story that I can hardly wait to get to the "good part" cause I know what's going to happen already (since we have a great "family" forum here).

Jerry this young man like I said is mature beyond his age and I wish I was there to help. But as I said this forum is made up with so many talents. You mentioned you don't think you are a craftsman, that kind of thinking is what stops you from sharing your talents! Just because the the ear can not see doesn't mean we don't need it! Luke mentioned Al was his first member he turned to when he needed help! I think that is fantastic!

The point is all our members are important and have a talent to share! It doesn't matter if you are a senior member or a junior member without them this would not be a forum!

Ike

TerryT
02-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Thanks Ike,
That was nice.

Ike
02-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Thank you Terry, but it is true! We are many that make up one!

Ike

ajk
02-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Ike tthanks for you words. Let's tell you I love the forum, because of people in this forum. I love to post our work because Thanks to all of you I learn and I fill that my work is part of all of you. Sorry for my bad english. But thats how I feel. I will like to know much better to help others. But If one needs me or want anithyng that I post I will share. feel that this is a great family and all of you are my friends. And I learned from each one.
THanks
Hilda

qsligh
03-27-2011, 02:32 PM
This forum is my life line. I remember walking through Sears and first seeing the advertisement for the CW and thought to myself, "I'd love to have one of those!" Many months and reading all the negative print, I finally brought one directly from CW mainly due to the negative print, but still a little uneasy. I have used this forum and all that it has had to offer to keep me interested. I'm a computer geek and the CW provides me the relaxation at the end of the day that my bread and butter does not. This site is filled with so much talent and inspriation, that I don't think that I would have kept my machine if not for the tips and tricks that have been shared by so many on this site. I goal is to one day be able to contribute to the masses as I've taken from it with my own tips and techniques I will surely develope as I continue to grow by using my CW.

Price
04-12-2011, 11:59 AM
New CW owner and recently started with a very successful STL designed pattern carving project.

The CW forum is indispensable and kept me out of trouble from the start.

Thank you to all the pioneers and daily contributors.

lone star
06-21-2012, 08:31 AM
Like a couple of others, we would have given up on our CC. We did in fact give up for a while but are back and learning our machine and software from the beginning again.

I'm still in way over my head but am grateful for this forum. Everything I am learning, is here.

Thank you.

Maria2023
01-30-2024, 09:07 PM
Thanks to everyone who have contributed in any way!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________________________________
skysmotor.co.uk sells the following products online: nema 23 closed loop stepper motor (https://www.skysmotor.co.uk/category-107-b0-Nema-23-Closed-Loop-Stepper-Motor.html), high torque pancake stepper motor (https://www.skysmotor.co.uk/category-64-b0-Pancake-Stepper-Motor.html), servo motors, planetary gearbox and can be purchased online if required.

want2b
01-31-2024, 04:49 PM
Thanks to everyone who have contributed in any way!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________________________________
skysmotor.co.uk sells the following products online: nema 23 closed loop stepper motor (https://www.skysmotor.co.uk/category-107-b0-Nema-23-Closed-Loop-Stepper-Motor.html), high torque pancake stepper motor (https://www.skysmotor.co.uk/category-64-b0-Pancake-Stepper-Motor.html), servo motors, planetary gearbox and can be purchased online if required.

Really great to see posts from new members. The forum has been a lifeline link for many of us for a lot of years. There is a lot of information stored in the posts here and a few members who will help with troubleshooting and projects. I would be remiss if I didn't mention there is a Facebook group available. Not being a user I don't know who or how many are there but it is another resource if you have a problem. Hope to see more members posting and welcome aboard.
Rick H

Mugsowner
02-04-2024, 04:48 AM
Welcome to the forum. have to agree with Want2be there is very much information here to help you get through most any problem you come across. most are glad to help with issues you may have. Never be afraid to ask anything, most will do thier best to get you where you want to get.