PDA

View Full Version : Carving on an edge?

Aaron B
11-05-2006, 09:30 AM
Is there any way to carve on and edge. ya know the thickness of a board? I know the minimum width is 2 1/2" but could you tape other pieces together to make the min width? Just wondering.

Dan-Woodman
11-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Aaron
You can stand a board on edge sandwiched between other boards to make up the minimum width,and program it to carve your board. You would have to attach them together or construct a jig to hold your board.
All boards would have to be the same hieght, so the rollers would move it . If you was doing a lot of them , construct a jig to drop in your piece. laterDaniel

BobHill
11-09-2006, 05:25 PM
Aaron,

As long as the thickness (depth) of the "edge" isn't over 5" and you use a width carrier as indicated, sure you can. I use a product made by AVERY (glue stick) and smear it all over two surfaces to be "bonded" and clamp for a bit, then when bonded it's tight enough to run throuth the machine without a problem. When done, just use a heat gun to warm up the wood especially and tap them apart. The glue stick is really wax (I believe) and works great for me. It's easy to clean up and easy to use. I particularly have found it great for bonding a thin board to a carrier (1/8th" - 3/32") where I'm cutting out very small pieces which would otherwise fly around when no tab is in the path of the cut. Worth a try for you.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida