PDA

View Full Version : CarveWright doesn't measure correctly

Don Butler
05-18-2010, 03:46 PM
I put a board in the CW to start a project piece, the part, measured with a digital caliper is 2.504 wide. The design calls for 2.5.
The CW says its 2.464 wide and wants to scale to width or use a new board.

What does one do except throw out a perfectly good workpiece and cut another one .040 too wide?

Is there a calibration procedure?

d

mtylerfl
05-18-2010, 03:55 PM
I put a board in the CW to start a project piece, the part, measured with a digital caliper is 2.504 wide. The design calls for 2.5.
The CW says its 2.464 wide and wants to scale to width or use a new board.

What does one do except throw out a perfectly good workpiece and cut another one .040 too wide?

Is there a calibration procedure?

d

Hi Don,

Yes there is a cal procedure (Jan/Feb 2010 Tips). However, you're so close you can probably get the project to run as-is by placing a strip of tape overhang just off the edge of the board away from the LCD to fool the machine into reading a little extra width. (not too much overhang, just enough to make up the difference)

c6craig
05-18-2010, 03:57 PM
You could always tape a dummy piece to the side to increase it's width or use a sled.

Calibration procedures are I believe listed under the replacing belts pdf.

http://www.carvewright.com/cms/customer_service

Good luck,
Craig

EDIT - Beat to it by MT and with a better answer :) Thanks for the help MT, good suggestions.

Don Butler
05-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Thank you, Gentlemen!

Digitalwoodshop
05-18-2010, 06:48 PM
More than likely the Board Detector has one broken LED.

What is the Board Detector Measurement using white copy paper?

Head cranked down on a board slide paper under sensor.

Should be 140 to 156 with 2 good LED's

With only one good LED, one snapped off, I would expect you would get about a 80.

OR Does the wood have rounded over top edges not 90 degree sharp corners.

With the Board Detector I cut down the back and remove the back and check the LED's and clean the plastic window. I seal the back with masking tape.:mrgreen:

AL