PDA

View Full Version : Can not measure X axis

jjrodes
05-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Hey folks, I need some help.
I have an older machine from 2006. I am using version 1.163. All of a sudden I can not measure anything in the X axis. I am always about 7/8" short. At one time 1 1/2" short.

I have cleaned the board sensor and works great in the Y axis. The compression rollers are switching on and off. I've had it apart several times cleaning and looking for things out of align. I am using a flat square board. The front belt tracks straight, the the rear belt drifts. I am checking into new belts and broad tracker.

How can you tell when a board tracker is going bad? Seems like it is working okay when checking sensors. When I run a board through by hand it still comes up short.

Thanks for any suggestions.

liquidguitars
05-18-2010, 01:30 PM
take a look at the AUX roller " small brass wheel next to the belts " and check it for the O ring..

LG

jjrodes
05-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Hi LG
I have checked the brass roller and o ring and is okay. It has never come off fo rme.

PCW
05-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Hi LG
I have checked the brass roller and o ring and is okay. It has never come off fo rme.

Give this a try.

Checking The Machine’s Onboard Sensors
The status of each of the machine’s onboard sensors can be accessed
from the LCD screen and keypad for the purpose of troubleshooting. To
access the Sensor Check menu simply select the “0” (Options) key at the

CarveWright Main Menu

or use the up/down arrows to locate the

Configurations Menu

and then press ENTER. Next, select the “7”

(Measure) key or use the up/down arrows to locate the Sensor Check
menu and then press

ENTER. Navigate through the different sensors and
associated status values using the up/down arrows.

Brd Tracking
State – Numerical Value (0.000)
The Board Tracking sensor tracks the position of the workpiece as it
travels in and out of the machine. A small brass wheel rides along the
bottom side of the material and provides position information to the control
system. It is extremely important that the workpiece have a very flat and
defect free surface 3/8” in from the edge on the bottom side of the
workpiece in order to operate correctly. To check the operation of this
sensor first make sure that the brass wheel on the board tracking sensor
has the black rubber o-ring in place and is spinning freely. Spin the wheel
and verify that the value displayed on the LCD is changing.

jjrodes
05-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Hi Dan
Thank you for the info on the board tracking sensor check. The o ring is in place and the numbers do go up and down as I spin the brass wheel.
Jerry

PCW
05-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Jerry

I would make sure you are using a strip of masking tape on the bottom side of the board to help give the brass roller some added traction. It may also be a good idea to check your head pressure using a bathroom scale.

Check the Head Pressure:

It is very important that the head pressure
is checked regularly in order to maintain optimum machine performance. Specifically, the sandpaper drive belts are prone to rollup on the ends if the head loading drops below 60 lbs as determined by our scale test. The head loading can change over time due to dust wicking the grease off the four corner posts and lead screws. This detailed check and lubrication procedure can be found in the

Troubleshooting section of this manual.

Checking the Head Pressure:

Cranking the head down onto the workpiece assures that there is sufficient pressure to move the workpiece in and out of the machine on the traction belt drive. If there is not enough head pressure, the sensors that monitor whether the workpiece is inserted correctly will not operate properly. If this happens then the message “Please Insert Board” may persist on the LCD.

Checking the head pressure is very easy using a standard bathroom scale.

1. Before starting, make sure that the sliding plate is moved all the way to the far side of the machine and is out of the way of the scale.
2. Place the scale on the traction drive exactly like a regular workpiece. Orient the scale so that the measurement display is facing the keypad and position the top head rollers(mounted on the underside of the head) directly over the scale footpads.
3. Crank the head down and make sure to rotate the crank at least

two revolutions after the clicking begins to verify proper loading.
4. Read the scale measurement and repeat several times. The proper head loading should be between 75 and 85 pounds.

jjrodes
05-20-2010, 08:28 AM
Dan
Thanks for the advice. I checked the head pressure with a scale this morning and I am getting 85 -90lbs. This should be sufficient. I have a board to check the measuring that is flat and straight. I've used tape on the bottom but never had to before now. Still did not help.
How does the machine measure in X axis? How do the board sensor and board tracker work together to measure? Does the switch on the front compression roller affect the measuring?
Thanks again Dan
Jerry

PCW
05-20-2010, 10:50 AM
Dan
Thanks for the advice. I checked the head pressure with a scale this morning and I am getting 85 -90lbs. This should be sufficient. I have a board to check the measuring that is flat and straight. I've used tape on the bottom but never had to before now. Still did not help.
How does the machine measure in X axis? How do the board sensor and board tracker work together to measure? Does the switch on the front compression roller affect the measuring?
Thanks again Dan
Jerry

Jerry,

X measurement is all in the brass roller and that is why it is so critical for the brass roller to have good contact with the board. If you loose contact due to a void or warp in the board the machine will not measure correctly.

The board sensor only measures the Y axle.

You may also want to try calibrating the X axle. I have been lucky and have never had to do this.

I think if you had a problem with roller switches you would see a prompt to load board.

From the manual

Calibrating Machine Offsets: The "Calibrate Offsets" function is a
simple procedure to allow the user to fine-tune the CarveWright
machine for improved accuracy. To perform the offset calibration, the
following will be needed:

- A board at least 2" wide by 10" long between 1/2" and 3/4" thick.
- The CarveWright branded 3/8" Jointing Bit.

The CarveWright sensor calibration will vary slightly depending on the color and darkness of the material. Best results will be realized
by calibrating the machine using that wood type most often used in the machine. If a variety of woods are used in the machine, choose a wood for calibration that is in the middle of the range of color and darkness.

For best results, choose a straight, flat board that has crisp, clean corners, and ensure that the Jointing bit is in good shape. Begin by measuring the thickness of the board chosen. Try to measure to within at least 1/32" of the actual thickness. Load the board in to the machine and navigate to the Configurations Menu from the CarveWright Main Menu by using the up/down arrows or pressing the “0” (Options) key on the keypad. Navigate to or select item 6, Calibrate Offsets. The machine will prompt for the thickness that was just measured, key in the value and press ENTER. The machine will begin measuring the board and then will prompt for the 3/8" Jointing bit. Load the bit as normal and press ENTER. The machine will take a few more measurements and cut a slot into the board.

Once the slot is complete, the CarveWright will begin alternating between measurement and cuts along the two sides of the slot and the two sides of the board. When the machine has completed the calibration the new offsets will be stored into the machine and the LCD will return to the Configurations Menu. The entire process takes just a few minutes. If the calibration fails, please see the entry entitled Troubleshooting the Board Sensor in the above paragraph.

Edit: If you don't have a 3/8" jointing bit check the hardware store.

mtylerfl
05-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Dan
Thanks again Dan
Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Perhaps this article will help you as well...the cal procedure that Dan listed above has been replaced by the one in the article, if you are running the more recent software versions.

ISSUE 27 January – February 2010 – Maintaining Accurate Board Tracking (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Jan_Feb_2010.pdf)

jjrodes
05-24-2010, 07:34 AM
Hi Dan
Just a quick clarification on the machining measuring. Doesn't it use the board sensor to find the end of the board in both directions? It brings the left edge in to the board sensor then the right end goes off the board tracker to the board sensor, then back to the left end to the board sensor.
Thanks Jerry

PCW
05-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Hi Dan
Just a quick clarification on the machining measuring. Doesn't it use the board sensor to find the end of the board in both directions? It brings the left edge in to the board sensor then the right end goes off the board tracker to the board sensor, then back to the left end to the board sensor.
Thanks Jerry

Jerry,

My bad yes you are correct about the board sensor measuring the board in length as well as the width.:oops:

mtylerfl
05-24-2010, 09:58 AM
I think the board length measurement (X-axis) is triggered when an end of a board leaves a pressure roller - the roller switch disengages and that sends a signal/message to the built-in computer that "this is the end of the board" and takes the measurement at that point. It's very possible I may be wrong, but I believe the LED board sensor is for the width measurement only (Y-axis).

dbfletcher
05-24-2010, 10:04 AM
I think the board length measurement (X-axis) is triggered when an end of a board leaves a pressure roller - the roller switch disengages and that sends a signal/message to the built-in computer that "this is the end of the board" and takes the measurement at that point. It's very possible I may be wrong, but I believe the LED board sensor is for the width measurement only (Y-axis).

I was under the impression that when the board leave the pressure roller, that triggers the machine to turn on the led board sensor again. So i really do think the led sensor is used for both.

Doug Fletcher

ChrisAlb
05-24-2010, 11:04 AM
The way I understand it....

The X measurement uses both the board sensor and the brass roller. First the board sensor finds the ends which then calabrates the brass roller and it takes over from there tracking the distance moved.

mtylerfl
05-24-2010, 12:29 PM
I'll ask LHR/CarveWright about it...

mtylerfl
05-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Found out...Yes, the LED Board Sensor does function for both width and length measurements.

jjrodes
05-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Michael T
Thank you for finding out about the board sensor and broad tracker working together. Even though all the sensors check out, I still am short 7/8" in measuring boards in the X axis. About the only thing I have not done is replace the traction belts.
Thanks again
Jerry

Digitalwoodshop
05-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Is the board cut 90 degrees?

Did you ever change the O ring to a Thicker Version?

Have you ever run the calibration procedure?

AL

jjrodes
05-24-2010, 03:02 PM
The board is cut square and I am using tape. I will try the other 2 suggestions.
Thanks
Jerry

AskBud
05-24-2010, 03:09 PM
The board is cut square and I am using tape. I will try the other 2 suggestions.
Thanks
Jerry

What is the size of your board (give all 3 measurements)?
AskBud

jjrodes
05-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Hi Bud,
I am using a 5/8" piece of birch plywood. Length is 27" and width is 5 7/32". It is clean square and flat with tape.
Jerry

AskBud
05-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Hi Bud,
I am using a 5/8" piece of birch plywood. Length is 27" and width is 5 7/32". It is clean square and flat with tape.
Jerry

Several minor thing to check, before you go too far!
1) Tape on top: Birch is light color, and may need a line of tape both ways on the top. One down the center of the length, and one across the width (where the sensor first looks).
2) You may have a "folding support roller" set too high or too low. This may cause the board to lift or drop, which will remove it from the brass roller.
AskBud

jjrodes
05-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Hi Bud,
I am using the same material I have for 4 years and board sensor does read all edges since I cleaned it.
I replaced the o ring on the board tracker.
The rubber tubing under the tracker is supporting it.
I adjusted the extended rollers to support the board.
I can watch the board tracking moving the length of the board except when the board stops at the board sensor.
Is there a timing issue with the compression roller switch and the board tracker, board sensor?
Thanks
Jerry

AskBud
05-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Hi Bud,
I am using the same material I have for 4 years and board sensor does read all edges since I cleaned it.
I replaced the o ring on the board tracker.
The rubber tubing under the tracker is supporting it.
I adjusted the extended rollers to support the board.
I can watch the board tracking moving the length of the board except when the board stops at the board sensor.
Is there a timing issue with the compression roller switch and the board tracker, board sensor?
Thanks
Jerry

No timing feature.
However, the roller switch(s) could need blown out, as dust/dirt may make them sluggish. The activation of the roller "drop" is what helps finish the measurement. It's a combination of the Brass roller and the compression roller.
AskBud

alan.galbraith
06-08-2010, 09:00 AM
I am experiencing this problem now. I haven't tried the tape yet and my question is this. Once you tape along the edge and it measures fine, what do you do about the tape? I don't see a way of getting the tape off before it starts to carve. Or shouldn't I worry about that.

jjrodes
06-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Hi Alan,
On the ends, your tape needs to be wide enough so that when the compression roller drops down, the tape is under the board sensor, then it will find the end of the part. I prefer to remove the tape when the program asks for a bit if the ends are outside the machine.
Happy machining.
jerry

AskBud
06-08-2010, 09:20 AM
I am experiencing this problem now. I haven't tried the tape yet and my question is this. Once you tape along the edge and it measures fine, what do you do about the tape? I don't see a way of getting the tape off before it starts to carve. Or shouldn't I worry about that.

Usually, a line of one inch standard masking tape, on the top of the board, will not cause a problem. You can not raise the head to remove it, as that will cause you to have to start over. If necessary, you could PAUSE, and remove sections at a time, but I just leave it in place unless it starts to foul up the cutter.

Tape on to bottom remains, so the brass roller keeps good contact.
AskBud

alan.galbraith
06-08-2010, 10:09 AM
I'll give that a try tonight.

Thanks all

alan.galbraith
06-08-2010, 08:15 PM
I was successful with one carve using the tape. But now I am getting tracking board sensor errors. I am not getting any racheting when lowering the head down onto the board. I cleaned the shafts as best I could and used dry lube on them using a clean cloth to spray the dry lube onto. It seems like the racheting is causing the head to be uneven. Any suggestions.

c6craig
06-08-2010, 09:07 PM
I was successful with one carve using the tape. But now I am getting tracking board sensor errors. I am not getting any racheting when lowering the head down onto the board. I cleaned the shafts as best I could and used dry lube on them using a clean cloth to spray the dry lube onto. It seems like the racheting is causing the head to be uneven. Any suggestions.

Have you tried removing the crank handle and shooting a short blast of WD40 in there? It has worked for me in the past...I believe the actual ratcheting is handled in that clutch (assuming level head and lubed posts, etc)...

Craig

jjrodes
06-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Hi Bud,
I have another question for you. What do you do when the tracker o-ring rubs against the front traction belt with a board in the machine? It does not rub with out a board.
Thanks
Jerry

Digitalwoodshop
06-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Did you install the new rubber belts? If yes, you must enlarge the mounting holes and move the sensor.

AL

jjrodes
06-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Al,
I am still using the original traction belts. Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try.
Jerry

jjrodes
06-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Al,
Your advice worked about moving the board tracker. It has been my problem all along on trying to measure in the X axis.

Thanks again
Case close.
Jerry