PDA

View Full Version : My newest series of coasters and plaques

myshop1044
05-17-2010, 04:57 PM
I just added these to my inventory for the craft shows.These we sugguested by one of my wife's friends. The pattern is from go3d.us, very sharp detail.
These I will have to take orders for.

Myshop1044

Router-Jim
05-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Very classy.

Nice job!

GWEE
05-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Looks good, great job Mr.Perry.

JDPratt
05-18-2010, 08:36 AM
Very nice.

I would like to hear more about your painting and finishing techniques for these.

Icutone2
05-18-2010, 08:45 AM
Looking GOOD!
Lee

mtylerfl
05-18-2010, 08:53 AM
I just added these to my inventory for the craft shows.These we sugguested by one of my wife's friends. The pattern is from go3d.us, very sharp detail.
These I will have to take orders for.

Myshop1044

Very nice! How deep is the carve on each style and what is the thickness of your material (looks like 1/2")?

myshop1044
05-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Hi JD,
The painting and finishing is fairly simple. If the corian has a good smooth finish to start with or if not I use a 800 Grid wet sand paper with water and sand it to get a good smooth surface, that way what is not effected by the carving is already finished.
The paint I like to use a high gloss spray paint (Metallic high gloss ) sometimes , if there are multiple colors on the coaster I hand paint each area. I spray the paint until it puddles on a piece of wood, then I use a artist brush and paint the grooves. It doesen't mater if you go over the top of the groove. I always do to ensure the groove gets painted well.
After it drys I use a 200 get sandpaper and buff of the excess paint on the top of the coaster or plaque. Then I put a coat of high gloss sealer.
Sometimes the sealer will bring out the color of the Corian better, it gives that wet look, you know how us guys like at wet look.
In connection with the plaques and coaster I just posted, I sparyed the entire coasters (all 4 at once) or the plaque and just buffed off the excess paint, lots faster.
Buffing of the excess paint gives the finish a look of a very hand crafted item. Most people want to know how you painted all those little lines so neatly. I tell them it's trade secret.
Now you know all my secrets.
later
Myshop1044

geekviking
05-18-2010, 10:44 AM
And thanks for the painting tips too! :D

www.go3d.us
05-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Looking good!

lawrence
05-18-2010, 12:25 PM
very nice looking and I'd like to add my thanks for the painting tips

Lawrence

myshop1044
05-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Hi Michael T
To answer your questions, I set the coasters using a 60 deg V bit at 1/16"
and the 8 x8 the pattern is set at .200. The material is 3/8". I'm not sure it even Corian. It has some very funny writing on the back. It's forigen, but it carve so well. It seems to be harder than Corian.
I picked it up in Dallas and the sheets were 30" x 96". I had to cut them into just to bring them home.
All I know is I'm going to get some more on the next trip.
Myshop1044

mtylerfl
05-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Hi Michael T
To answer your questions, I set the coasters using a 60 deg V bit at 1/16"
and the 8 x8 the pattern is set at .200. The material is 3/8". I'm not sure it even Corian. It has some very funny writing on the back. It's forigen, but it carve so well. It seems to be harder than Corian.
I picked it up in Dallas and the sheets were 30" x 96". I had to cut them into just to bring them home.
All I know is I'm going to get some more on the next trip.
Myshop1044

Great info - thank you!

LittleRedWoodshop
05-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Something that I do with pieces that I know I am going to be painting is to mask it before I carve it. I find the cheapest contact or shelf paper that I can (I have found it on clearance for a quarter a roll). I cover the entire piece of the contact paper, carve through it (I have never had an issue with this), spray paint the piece and then peel the mask off.

Hope that helps someone. The sing below was actually finished with that technique.

http://app.onlinephotofiler.com/images/A_5/0/2/7/77205/ww_5d543.Large.jpg

GWEE
05-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Ive done that before with a router works great.

CSPURGEON
05-19-2010, 01:06 PM
My father "accidentally" bought 40 rolls of vinyl at an auction and I was thinking of using that to cover a carving a paint it that way. But the particular one (fireman's prayer) I was thinking of doing has really small letters do you think the bit will "grab" it and tear it away from the smaller tips? I can see how on larger print it would work just wondering if anyone has experience with smaller print.

Great coasters by the way!

LittleRedWoodshop
05-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Plaque was finished htat way ... painted the red, let it dry, covered with contact paper, carved and then stained.

http://app.onlinephotofiler.com/images/A_5/0/2/7/77205/ffp_5dc61.Large.jpg

CSPURGEON
05-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Are you selling those and if so how much? I was going to post an advertisement in our local volunteer FD and sell some I'm just not sure how much to charge. Someone is selling the posted Fireman's Prayer with just the multeese cross on eBay for $35, I can't justify that with 2hrs of carving.