PDA

View Full Version : Constant Z-axis 303 after new update

lostinthefrost
05-15-2010, 05:26 PM
This is a continuing issue that has been taking place for over a month now. I have about 100 hours on my new machine. Al was helping me me with a data cable issue early when the machine was throwing 313 errors.
I have since ruined several board feet attempting new projects.

The machine does all of the standard measurements, then as it starts there is the cutting motor issue (spins up really high rpm, then says check cutting motor, happened with new update) then after I start it back up I get 1-2% and several projects stop about the same location and throw a z-axis 303. The bit seems to keep getting deeper and then it drops itself while still in the rock chuck. Every once in a while there is a clear y rails message.

Yesterday I took it all apart. Cleaned the y rails and all over with mineral spirits and a wire brush. Then lubed the flex shaft and then lubed the y rails with 3 in 1 oil very lightly.
- new z truck cable was installed
-bearings look free of debris or rust and are lubed
-sandpaper belts are in excellent shape
-readjusted infeed and outfeed tables to proper height
-tried 2 different 1/16 cutting bits on 4 different projects that I have had plenty of success with.

using rock chuck, and on BEST setting

Can anyone help diagnose? Could it be dull bits? they dont seemed to be but...

PCW
05-15-2010, 05:33 PM
Maybe the z encoder disc.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=14748&highlight=encoder

lostinthefrost
05-15-2010, 05:35 PM
Good call on that. I will go check that again. 2 weeks ago when I pulled the data cable out I checked the disc to see if that was my first issue. I will recheck it again though. it cannot hurt

lostinthefrost
05-16-2010, 11:49 AM
New update. I cleaned the disc off. It didnt have any dust on it, nor did the black cover.

I cleaned all around the machine again just to touch up some spots. Went to attempt a test carving and on the first pass it blew a z-axis 303

ANY IDEAS??

Digitalwoodshop
05-16-2010, 12:03 PM
Could be a bad FSC Cable with a broken wire.

Could be a bad Z Encoder. The solder pads sometime get cracks and cause this.

Could be a L2 in the Power Supply going bad.

AL

lostinthefrost
05-16-2010, 12:08 PM
I just replaced the FSC cable with your recommendation last time. What does the Z encoder look like? is that the disc?

PCW
05-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Here is a link to one of Al's post's showing pictures of the encoder.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=11423&highlight=encoder

liquidguitars
05-16-2010, 02:28 PM
I had the same issue a few months ago as the CW would carve the bit would go deeper and deeper, I cleaned out the encoder and rebuild the z pack bearing but forget about it.. the fix was to replace the one year old z pack with a new one, the unit works 100% now. I also replaced the y pack and the timing belt.

P.S. I would not mess around with cleaning the encoder it's a realy a wast of time in my opinion. :mrgreen:

lostinthefrost
05-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Excellent. Thanks. I have a 2nd machine that I have been using for parts since the something on the board blew out a while ago. I may pull the zpack tonight and see if it's a temporary fix until I can order a new one tomorrow.

lostinthefrost
05-16-2010, 06:18 PM
If the zpak is testing with good numbers would that mean it's still bad?
I have it apart now and have spun the disk and watched it produce numbers. It did seem a bit wobbly though

lostinthefrost
05-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Because I am stubborn and wanted to try one more thing, I cleaned the disc off with a cue tip and removed a few small pieces of debris.

It started to work then the whole ztruck dropped as it was tracking back to initial homing. I am guessing it is still the same issue?

Chime in all

liquidguitars
05-16-2010, 07:15 PM
If the zpak is testing with good numbers would that mean it's still bad?
I have it apart now and have spun the disk and watched it produce numbers. It did seem a bit wobbly though

I would bet it's bad even with good readings..

My experience in rebuilding them is it should be left to LHR, to be on the safe side replace the z pack " get the upgrade and install all new " along with y pack and timing belt Monday.

I wasted a few days trouble shooting and rebuilding the motors but the new pack was the fix.

If your not sure about spending the cash you could swap the motors with unit 2 and see how it works..

LG

lostinthefrost
05-16-2010, 07:29 PM
I think I am going to put the other one on there, but will be calling LHR in the morning. I dont mind shelling the cash out, I have small orders to do, but have been put on hold. I am a very very small hometown operation and am no where near advanced as your beautiful work.
Thanks for your help though and all of the others who replied. Hopefully the zpack is the only issue. I just got a new fsc cable, but going to get another anyway to have on hand.

dbtuna1
05-16-2010, 10:07 PM
This is a continuing issue that has been taking place for over a month now. I have about 100 hours on my new machine. Al was helping me me with a data cable issue early when the machine was throwing 313 errors.
I have since ruined several board feet attempting new projects.

The machine does all of the standard measurements, then as it starts there is the cutting motor issue (spins up really high rpm, then says check cutting motor, happened with new update) then after I start it back up I get 1-2% and several projects stop about the same location and throw a z-axis 303. The bit seems to keep getting deeper and then it drops itself while still in the rock chuck. Every once in a while there is a clear y rails message.

Yesterday I took it all apart. Cleaned the y rails and all over with mineral spirits and a wire brush. Then lubed the flex shaft and then lubed the y rails with 3 in 1 oil very lightly.
- new z truck cable was installed
-bearings look free of debris or rust and are lubed
-sandpaper belts are in excellent shape
-readjusted infeed and outfeed tables to proper height
-tried 2 different 1/16 cutting bits on 4 different projects that I have had plenty of success with.

using rock chuck, and on BEST setting

Can anyone help diagnose? Could it be dull bits? they dont seemed to be but...

I'm convinced it's the upgrade. That's way I did a search on this forum to see if anyone else is having the same problem. Looks like another upgrade coming.

Digitalwoodshop
05-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Unplug and reset all cables with the power off.

If they sent you a new Z Motor you could install the old motor AFTER you swap the circuit board on the motor. That would change out the motor and encoder.

Could be a problem with the computer too.... blown driver?

AL

robbrigg2
06-03-2010, 12:46 AM
Great advice.. had this problem today... followed this advice (unpluging and replugging in the cables) and it worked... what a great forum.