PDA

View Full Version : Machines on eBay - Direct from manufacturer

LDD
05-14-2010, 10:17 PM
First time I've seen this but there are refurbished machines direct from the manufacturer on eBay for $999.99 or best offer. Also one with starting bid of $.99. Seller info is carvewrightoutlet. Looks like it might be a good deal. Some of you guys wanting to buy a machine hopefully can get a good deal.I would consider these but I already have 2 machines and really enjoy using them when I have time. My latest projects have been desk name plates using centerline text. I have found some free fonts that really look great.Sears had the 1/16 carving bit at the Birmingham, AL store for less than 1/2 price. If I remember correctly it was $17.00 and the 5 piece set was about 75.00. They also had a CC but it was not on sale.Hope some of you guys can get some great deals.

plrichardny
05-21-2010, 01:26 PM
decided to check out the "carve Wright outlet" on eBay. They won't give a previous name to verify their rating, and when you call the number, it is not in service. Anyone else get information on them?

Lobo
05-26-2010, 01:51 PM
First time I've seen this but there are refurbished machines direct from the manufacturer on eBay for $999.99 or best offer. Also one with starting bid of $.99. Seller info is carvewrightoutlet. Looks like it might be a good deal. Some of you guys wanting to buy a machine hopefully can get a good deal.I would consider these but I already have 2 machines and really enjoy using them when I have time. My latest projects have been desk name plates using centerline text. I have found some free fonts that really look great.Sears had the 1/16 carving bit at the Birmingham, AL store for less than 1/2 price. If I remember correctly it was $17.00 and the 5 piece set was about 75.00. They also had a CC but it was not on sale.Hope some of you guys can get some great deals.

There's a free font called "Cola ii" that looks real nice for an informal nameplate. You can get it here: www.searchfreefonts.com/free/coca-cola-ii.htm. When I make nameplates, I use a piece of nice wood -- like rosewood or bubinga, then carve in the name, spray the face of the plate with gold or brass paint, plane off 1/64 in (or less) to get rid of the excess paint, bevel the edges, and then finish the piece.

cnsranch
05-26-2010, 02:27 PM
If you're looking for a Coca Cola font, here's one - works really great.

Play with it to learn it - in order to get the Capital "c"s that are different (i.e. the C in Coca is different than the C in Cola), it takes a different key stroke.

Digitalwoodshop
05-26-2010, 02:49 PM
As far as buying on eBay, you really need to be careful....

What that say and what you get and be.... well.... Different...... Especially when it comes to Warranty and what happens when it becomes a boat anchor needing $600.00 in parts..... Do you really end up saving any money....

Buy from a place that will get you a warranty and stand behind it....

Know what you are getting.... For a first machine I recommend everyone buy a new machine.... for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, ....... A $500.00 no warranty machine is GREAT because you will know how to fix it.....

You need the "Hand Holding" the first year.... I DID.....

AL

CarverJerry
05-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Good suggestion Al, ebay can be a little,....,,,, well lets just say (and I sell on ebay too) buy a new one first like Al said. Get that learning curve under your belt first.

CJ PS I sell a comfort mat for Segways that I manufacture, no carvings

jaroot
05-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Good suggestion Al, ebay can be a little,....,,,, well lets just say (and I sell on ebay too) buy a new one first like Al said. Get that learning curve under your belt first.

CJ PS I sell a comfort mat for Segways that I manufacture, no carvings

I understand where CJ is coming from but I have to say that we bought our machine off of ebay. It was supposedly refurbished by LHR and shipped from them.

We had an almost immediate z truck failure and though the machine was sold sans warranty LHR stood behind it and repaired the z truck gratis. We have experienced a number of other problems but all have been things that we have been able to overcome do to the tremendous guys here in the forums.

We got a real good deal but if the refurbs with warranty had been available from LHR directly I believe that we would have gone that route instead.

That has been our experience, your mileage may differ.:-D

Digitalwoodshop
05-26-2010, 08:06 PM
It would be nice if LHR would come out with a post and tell us what eBay vendors they support and what we can expect for a warranty.

I have come to expect, eBay Machine... You are on your own.

Glad to hear there are eBay machines that are Warranty Supported.

Cool...

AL

LDD
05-26-2010, 11:34 PM
I agree 100% that you need to beware of deals on eBay. I purchased a probe that was advertised as new. The box appeared to be unopened but it turned out the software had been registered and is not transferable. The seller agreed to send a refund after I returned the probe, but he kept making excuses until my time had runout to file a greivance on eBay. Lesson learned!

My first machine I purchased from Lowes and my second I got on eBay for about $500.00. Haven't had any problems with either machine but I haven't used them as much as I would like since I have had to build cabinets for my daughter's house and a massive remodel on my house before a family reunion next month. Hope to finish the remodel soon an get back to carving.

BTW, I really appreciate all the info you guys post and have really learned alot. I try to read the new post every night before I get my beauty rest.:)

Hope I haven't been a bore.

Dan-Woodman
05-27-2010, 11:00 AM
You must have missed the post about the probe software not being transferable.
good luck next time.
later Daniel