PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Installation of CarveTight

wgrecco
05-14-2010, 09:51 PM
To all,

I was using my old QC and was in the process of doing a cut out when I noticed that the cutting bit was no longer there! It broke off in mid cut! Anyway, this made me decide to install the CarveTight tonight. I was hoping to get more use out of the new older style bits that I just bought before I received the CT.

Anyway... heres the problem.... I was watching the installation video on the Carvewright website and was following it step by step. As I figured, I was confused at the part of the install where you put the Z truck on and load the bearings etc. So I watched the video at least 100 times. Still confused, I then looked at the written installation instructions from the TIPS and TRICKS and what do you know! They are DIFFERENT! They do things in different order! For example, in the video, after you do the bottom bearing you then do the top bearing and after that you tighten down the tension screw, BUT NOT IN THE WRITTEN INSTRUCTIONS! In those, you tighten the tension screw, replace the two screws on the back of the Z truck, and tighten BOTH bearings somewhat before completing!

Come on here guys! For the people that are mechanically inclined, this might not be that big of a deal but for those of us who DKS (dont know s**t) this IS A BIG DEAL!!

I spent ALOT of money on the machine, only to have to spend a whole lot more money to replace something that should be a RECALL type replacement and now had to spend at least an hour or more because of this??

Not too cool guys....

Sorry for my rant

Jeff_Birt
05-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Well, first I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Having written a lot of 'how to' instructions over the years I can say with confidence that it is impossible to write a set of instructions that will suite everyone.

As you have discovered there are at least two different methods to install the Carvetight, there is more than one way to skin a cat as they say. A good set of instructions can only convey the general idea of how to accomplish a task, at some point it is up to the person doing the job to employ a bit of reading between the line (a.k.a common sense.) In other words concentrate more what each step of the process is accomplishing than the exact procedure explained.

All of use are prone to fits of not understanding what the instruction writer was trying to convey. At times like that the thing that I have found that works best is taking a break.

Eagle Hollow
05-15-2010, 07:47 AM
All of use are prone to fits of not understanding what the instruction writer was trying to convey. At times like that the thing that I have found that works best is taking a break.[/QUOTE]

Sage advice, Jeff

Metalhead781
05-15-2010, 10:43 AM
You have to understand the frustration that will come with using this machine. Yes a good set of instructions needs to be followed with common sense however different procedures given can increase confusion. I have a mechanical mind. Most of the time i can figure out a better way then then common engineers can. I second the notion that the CT should be a recall and replacement. The CW with the QC belongs at sears with the rest of the craftsman JUNK.

Digitalwoodshop
05-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Lets look at this with the end result in focus. The 2 right side bearings have a screw hole offset and when you turn the bearing nut it will pinch the rails. The trick is getting it to that position without snapping the screw off and getting it in position tight enough to not loosen up.

My self taught procedure is to snug both bearings up with the screw driver. I pre mark the outside flat or the flat with the screw hole closest to the flat with nail polish. That way I know that the bearing is in it's most closed position.

So I snug both up and get the flat spot facing the outside. Then loosen the nut a 1/8 of a turn and tighten the screw with the screwdriver then holding the screw turn the nut back to face the nail polish flat out snugging it up. Too loose and it will loosen up... TOO Tight and you snap the screw off....

Good Luck... I snapped off a few getting the feel for it.... I always buy extra screws.

AL