PDA

View Full Version : Finishing techniques

CarverJerry
05-14-2010, 08:27 PM
I have a question about finishing. I've read here on the forum a lot of guys use a prestain before staining their project, especially on end grains. I went and got some minwax prestain, I can see a difference on the finished outcome and on the end grain. Does anyone know what this prestain is? It is so thin when it goes on it just is amazing how well this stuff works. Is there anything else that is better than prestain? Thanks

CarverJerry

AskBud
05-14-2010, 08:44 PM
I have a question about finishing. I've read here on the forum a lot of guys use a prestain before staining their project, especially on end grains. I went and got some minwax prestain, I can see a difference on the finished outcome and on the end grain. Does anyone know what this prestain is? It is so thin when it goes on it just is amazing how well this stuff works. Is there anything else that is better than prestain? Thanks

CarverJerry

Here are the FAQs:
Q. What is the purpose of Minwax® Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner?
Much of the wood used for projects is "soft" wood, such as pine or spruce. Some hardwoods, such as alder or aspen, are porous and tend to absorb stain unevenly. To help ensure even stain color penetration and beautiful results, it is essential to pre-treat soft or porous woods with Minwax® Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner.
Q. How does Minwax® Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner work?
Minwax® Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner penetrates the pores of the wood, reducing the amount of stain the larger pores will absorb. This evens out the absorption of stain, preventing streaking and blotching.
Q. Can Minwax® Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner be used on hardwoods such as oak or mahogany?
Yes, but more dramatic results will be seen on softwoods. Hardwoods tend to have a more uniform pore structure than softwoods, resulting in more uniform staining. Exceptions include maple, alder and aspen, which have uneven pore structures. Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner should be used on these woods.
Q. What happens to Minwax® Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner after two hours have elapsed?
The resins in Minwax® Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner will begin to dry and may inhibit stain absorption. To open the pores again, sand the wood lightly with a medium grit (#120 - #180) sandpaper.
Q. Does Minwax® Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner need to be sanded before stain is applied?
No. Minwax® Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner is not a sanding sealer and does not require this extra step as long as the stain is applied within 2 hours after pretreatment.
Q. Is it possible to apply too much Minwax® Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner?
No, not if label instructions are followed and any excess Minwax® Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner is wiped off after 5 - 15 minutes.
Q. Can Minwax® Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner be used prior to applying a water-based stain?
No. Since Minwax® Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner is an oil-based product, it should only be used as a pre-stain treatment with oil-based stains such as Minwax® Wood Finish™ stains. For water-based stains, use Minwax® Water-Based Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner.

CarverJerry
05-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Well thanks Bud. That answered a few other questions I had.

CJ