PDA

View Full Version : Impractical????

grubby
11-03-2006, 11:19 AM
I have been looking at this machine and I'm trying to look at every avenue to justify purchasing one. My wife and I are getting ready to build a new home. I have cut down, ran through the saw mill, and cured approximately 4000 b.f. of oak to use for flooring, trim, casing, and cabinet material for our new house. Would this machine work to do the tongue and groove on the flooring boards (approx. 1500 sq ft.), the casing trim and base boards, and the doors for the cabinets or would it be impractical.

I can get this done at local mill work businesses, but I could more than pay for the machine through the savings. I have a 13" Jet Planer, an 8 Grizzly jointer, and a nice table saw. I can install cutters in the planer for the moldings, but the selections are few. This thing is so cool I would love to have one, but I don't want to purchase it in hopes of doing things that it is not capable of doing

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

BobHill
11-03-2006, 11:52 AM
You can do lap over cuts, but remember that edging is limited to something like that or what you'd use a router for.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

pkunk
11-03-2006, 01:45 PM
This machine is not for processing 4000 bf of oak! It is a small batch carving machine & it excells at what it does. In liew of the proper tool for the job you describe (a shaper) perhaps a 'Magic Moulder' for your tablesaw would work. The reality is, if you have a local mill that can process it for you, it would probably be more cost effective to go that route.

RobertP
11-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Funny that you mention a Magic Moulder, I have a brand new starter set, the fence and an extra profile cutter set that I have never used that I would like to sell, I didnt know where to sell it, if its not ok to post it here, let me know.

Thanks
Robert

pkunk
11-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Funny that you mention a Magic Moulder, I have a brand new starter set, the fence and an extra profile cutter set that I have never used that I would like to sell, I didnt know where to sell it, if its not ok to post it here, let me know.

Thanks
Robert
Robert, you might register at the Woodworks and you could post a 'for sale' there http://www.woodworkslive.com/index.php
Great bunch of woodworkers and quite a few Carvewright owners, too.

RobertP
11-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Thanks pkunk! :)