PDA

View Full Version : 3/16" Cutting Bit

Fardoche
05-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Any of you guys use a 3/16" Upcut cutting bit instead of the usual 1/8" cutting bit from CW ?

I use is and they cost me more than 1/2 price and I have a cleaner cut (almost no sanding!)

I want to have your feedback on it

Thanks!

spalted
05-13-2010, 10:38 AM
I was thinking a down cut or compression spiral would be the way to go, but I may have to try an upcut instead.

chebytrk
05-13-2010, 10:39 AM
can you post a link on where to purchase....

Digitalwoodshop
05-13-2010, 10:46 AM
A Down Spiral..... I never thought of that with the CW.... If doing a cut path and you do it in a number of passes, the chips are being pushed into the cut of the wood. This could force the head up or get a stall....

If you did a cut path all the way through, the chips would spit out the bottom since the wood being cut is over the bottom slot. But during the plunge you might get burning....

I bet you would snap a bit too if doing Oak....

I think a Down Sprial is a BAD idea for the CW.

Just my 2 Cents.

AL

chebytrk
05-13-2010, 11:05 AM
A Down Spiral..... I never thought of that with the CW.... If doing a cut path and you do it in a number of passes, the chips are being pushed into the cut of the wood. This could force the head up or get a stall....

If you did a cut path all the way through, the chips would spit out the bottom since the wood being cut is over the bottom slot. But during the plunge you might get burning....

I bet you would snap a bit too if doing Oak....

I think a Down Sprial is a BAD idea for the CW.

Just my 2 Cents.

AL

Thanks AL. Makes logical sense.

spalted
05-13-2010, 11:23 AM
I guess I should have elaborated more. I intended to use a down shear or compression only when cutting all the way through a board.

I don't think the stock upcut ejects the spoils that well anyway, so I wouldn't think it would make that much difference.

That said, digital has WAY more hours running a CW than I do, so I would believe him before me.

Digitalwoodshop
05-13-2010, 05:39 PM
I guess I should have elaborated more. I intended to use a down shear or compression only when cutting all the way through a board.

I don't think the stock upcut ejects the spoils that well anyway, so I wouldn't think it would make that much difference.

That said, digital has WAY more hours running a CW than I do, so I would believe him before me.

It's what happens with the wood chips as it is boring it's way through the board to get to the bottom... Bet it involves SMOKE.....

And if you had a project with a few drill holes and a cut path, it would not give you the option to change to a up spiral bit.... More Smoke...:rolleyes:

Most likely a Z Stall too....

Then..... I could be totally WRONG and it would work just fine..... Been wrong before... Is the Earth still FLAT?...

AL "Spock LogicAL" who....:-D

Router-Jim
05-13-2010, 06:24 PM
I think you're spot on DigitalWS.

I use a variety of spirals with the CC/CW and they are all upcuts. If I was routing some veneered material I might do a shallow pass with a downcut first but I'll worry about that if the opportunity ever presents itself.

jaroot
05-16-2010, 11:34 AM
This is probably a dumb question, but what do you do about the extra 1/16"?

Any of you guys use a 3/16" Upcut cutting bit instead of the usual 1/8" cutting bit from CW ?

I use is and they cost me more than 1/2 price and I have a cleaner cut (almost no sanding!)

I want to have your feedback on it

Thanks!

Dan-Woodman
05-16-2010, 03:01 PM
AS FAR AS THE DIAMETER , THATS ONLY 1/32" on each side of the bit which can be offset in designer. The radius would be a little larger , but I don't see that as a problem.
The 3/16" x 1" cut length are a lot more readialy available.
later Daniel

cestout
05-16-2010, 06:08 PM
I have used a 3/8 up-cut bit to hog out areas faster and smoother than 3X the passes with a 1/8. I would only consider an up-cut bit. I don't know why you would do a cut thru with a larger bit. The program allows for a 1/8, 3/8 and 1/2 straight bit. I wish they would add a 1/4" bit.
Clint

Dan-Woodman
05-19-2010, 08:50 AM
use the 1/4" ballnose.
later Daniel

Metalhead781
05-19-2010, 10:15 PM
I use this bit on occasion. http://www.woodline.com/p-2095-1002s-es-replacement-spiral-for-rjt-316-cutting-dia-1-cutting-length.aspx It's a 3/16 spiral bit with a 1" cut depth. Works very well and doesn't bog the machine down at all. Biggest issue is getting the correct offset. You have to move the cut vectors manually. I don't use it much because it's such a pain and it's easier to just nibble cut at .063-.032 max pass depth then play with vectors down to 1/32" in the software.

Good Luck
MH