PDA

View Full Version : I need bits

JDPratt
05-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Ok, so I have pretty much worn out my five carving bits, the V60 and V90. I rarely use a 1/8 cutting bit and I have four of those (I prefer to use other shop tools for these tasks). I know Ron has the 1/16 carving on his site, but I dont see a V60 or V90. Anybody got some other sources that they have used and are happy with. I am using the rock on both of the CWs in the shop.

dbfletcher
05-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Ok, so I have pretty much worn out my five carving bits, the V60 and V90. I rarely use a 1/8 cutting bit and I have four of those (I prefer to use other shop tools for these tasks). I know Ron has the 1/16 carving on his site, but I dont see a V60 or V90. Anybody got some other sources that they have used and are happy with. I am using the rock on both of the CWs in the shop.

You might want to look at these if you are going thru bits fast. I havn't used them myself.. but I really like the idea of just replacing the cutting surface.

http://www.amanatool.com/cncroutingdetails/rc-1028.html

Doug Fletcher

AskBud
05-12-2010, 02:44 PM
I like Eagle.
http://www.eagleamerica.com/
AskBud

wizer
05-12-2010, 03:03 PM
When choosing new bits, is there any criteria? Will any 1/4" 60 degree bit do? Will they just fit in the carrier easily? etc

JDPratt
05-12-2010, 04:05 PM
When choosing new bits, is there any criteria? Will any 1/4" 60 degree bit do? Will they just fit in the carrier easily? etc

That was one of the questions I had also and should have asked. I want something that is going to be a good match for the machine. All my other router bits are from Eagle America, Elite, and a few others. Eagle America has proven excellent for my other needs, but I was not sure for the CW. Most of the wood I carve is Oak, Walnut, Cherry and some woods that are even harder, so I go through the bits fairly fast. If anyone knows of an Eagle America or other bit manufacturer and can provide a part #, it would be greatly appreciated. As stated I am using the rock 1/2" with 1/4" reducer collet/sleeve.

John

Walker Sky Ranch
05-12-2010, 06:22 PM
I have the same issue, but with my 1/8 bit.
CW charges 39.99 then the cheapest shipping is 12 dollars for 7 day delivery.
I asked if they just sold the bits.. they do, exact same pice with or without adaptor!
So my question is, where can I find the Four flute ¼ inch shaft solid carbide 1/8 inch cutting bit?

Thank You in advance for your replies

CarverJerry
05-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Do a search, these bits are called end mills. There are many manufactures and distributors out there. Keep in mind that solid carbide end mills don't come cheap.......(usacarbide.com)

CJ

Walker Sky Ranch
05-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Do a search, these bits are called end mills. There are many manufactures and distributors out there. Keep in mind that solid carbide end mills don't come cheap.......(usacarbide.com)

CJ

CJ, do you know the overall lenght of the stock 1/8 cutting bit and the Flute length. I shattered mine and now I can not measure it to get one close to stock.
Thanks

Digitalwoodshop
05-12-2010, 09:57 PM
I measured the Cutting Bit.

Length 2.54 inches

1/4 inch shank 1.53 inches

Fluted cutting area 1.1 inches

AL

Walker Sky Ranch
05-12-2010, 10:03 PM
I measured the Cutting Bit.

Length 2.54 inches

1/4 inch shank 1.53 inches

Fluted cutting area 1.1 inches

AL

AL THANK YOU.. and sorry about the thread highjack!

CarverJerry
05-13-2010, 05:18 AM
Also an added note, the carving bit is a tapered ball end mill, I contacted LHR last year about this and the guy said 5-7degrees would work just fine. After looking last night the cheapest I could find on line was around $19 but I searched many different sites and didn't take note who that was. I googled "1/4 carbide tapered ball end mill" Good luck

CJ

JDPratt
05-13-2010, 08:14 AM
I don't want to sound like money isn't an issue, but I really don't mind paying $40.00 for the bits, however I don't want to throw money away either. The issue I have is finding a V60/V90 as single bits and not part of LHR's bit set. I have the bit set and don't use it other than the V90 and V60. Seems like a waste if I am not going to use them. I also can't see spending money for a bit adapter I am not going to use since I have the Rock. Additionally, I would prefer to stay away from LHR's 1/16th carving bit because of the flat spots on the shaft. I could get carving bits through R. Justice, but I would like to get all three of these from one location.

Walker Sky Ranch
05-13-2010, 09:19 AM
American only has 2 and 3 flute straight bits. No 4 flute..
so, they are not a source for the cutting bit

USAcarbide is the same, they deal mostly in metal tools.

It seems that CW has a corner on that cutting bit. I dont mind the 40 dollars for the bit but it is the 12 dollars shipping for a 6 oz item that is wacky!

geekviking
06-06-2010, 06:27 PM
did they change the word thievery to wacky?

lhanner
06-06-2010, 08:50 PM
I sharpen carbide and steel saw blades,planer,jointer,router bits, 2 to 4 flute , and sprial bits. PM me for pricing. My website is not up yet.

Termite
06-06-2010, 10:22 PM
www.precisebits.com - click on products and then click on 3D carving bits.

Dan

Capt Bruce
09-06-2010, 07:50 AM
Did anyone settle on a good source for the carving and 1/8th cutting bits we all seem to be seeking, from the various sources noted above?

Personally I am running an Eagle V 60 1/2" I purchased a month or so back and I've very pleased with the results so far. If you're interested let me know and I'll send details by e-mail rather than make this an open ad. Thanks

AskBud
09-06-2010, 08:05 AM
If you still have a QC, and are looking for bits and such, check this link.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?16118-Buds-Inventory-Reduction

Capt Bruce
09-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the link AskBud, but I switched over to a Rock Chuck several months ago so my stock of QC adapters and all the accessories are now shelfware.
Better these be available from you to a current QC user. Thanks again.

BBrooks
09-19-2010, 01:59 PM
http://www.cuttingtoolsource.com/cart/index.php?cPath=30

I don't see anywhere that these were solid carbide but it is worth researching

AskBud
09-19-2010, 02:03 PM
http://www.cuttingtoolsource.com/cart/index.php?cPath=30

I don't see anywhere that these were solid carbide but it is worth researching
I do not see a 1/16" on the list!
AskBud

rncurrie
09-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Just an FYI. This week I got a 1/2" 90 made by CMT it has a different cut on the end. I used it today on 6 different projects and I love it. No more burnt spots showing up in the letters. (My other 90s were sharp I have them sharpened at a local tool sharpener.) The letters also are clean no divits just smooth cutting. I went to a 1/2 just to see the difference in the lettering from a 3/4 its preaty much the same width I guess a 90 is a 90. If anyone is interested in the shape of it I will take a pic. when my camera charges.
Richard