PDA

View Full Version : Carving text on a scanned piece of wood!

cdoyle
05-11-2010, 05:52 PM
I was asked to try to carve a persons name on a piece of wood that still has a rough shape. It is a piece of maple that is ripped to 3/4's inch thick, but the outline is not square. it still has a very natural look. I put it in a scanning sled that I made for the board and scanned the shape of the wood. Now I'm lost on what to do. I tried to go in the software but when I put lettering on the board it actually rises out of the wood. It also acts like it wants to carve the board out of the piece of wood not carve the letter into the board. Any help with this would be appreciated.

AskBud
05-11-2010, 06:12 PM
I was asked to try to carve a persons name on a piece of wood that still has a rough shape. It is a piece of maple that is ripped to 3/4's inch thick, but the outline is not square. it still has a very natural look. I put it in a scanning sled that I made for the board and scanned the shape of the wood. Now I'm lost on what to do. I tried to go in the software but when I put lettering on the board it actually rises out of the wood. It also acts like it wants to carve the board out of the piece of wood not carve the letter into the board. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Scanning was not necessary. It did exactly what you said, "It made a carve pattern of that shape and texture.

If the wood is of a fairly even thickness, just place it on a sled (Centered and oriented the way you wish), and apply the recessed text you wish.
AskBud

cdoyle
05-13-2010, 08:13 PM
the levelness isn't perfect but really close. How do you get the machine threw the measuring phase if you don't have a level surface? I'm really new to this Idea and confused!

AskBud
05-13-2010, 08:27 PM
the levelness isn't perfect but really close. How do you get the machine threw the measuring phase if you don't have a level surface? I'm really new to this Idea and confused!

You sled will/should be square and level. You mount the wood in the center of the sled, leveling it as you wish/need. The rollers compresson the sled rails, which are equal or higher than the highest portion of the piece to be carved.
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-Multi-Use%20Sled.pdf
AskBud

cdoyle
05-16-2010, 11:59 AM
I'll really appreciate the help it turned out great. Thanks Again!! Picture down below.

mtylerfl
05-16-2010, 12:55 PM
I'll really appreciate the help it turned out great. Thanks Again!! Picture down below.

Nice job! Glad it all worked out for you!

cestout
05-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Just a thought, if the piece were not even thickness, You could run it thru a thickness planer back side up the get it even. The face, showing side, would remain untouched.
Clint

CarverJerry
05-17-2010, 09:27 AM
FYI, when I carve my tree slabs with the bark still on it I use my scan sled, I use tapered shims to get the tree surface level to the top of my rails, I also have the 7"+ rule of thumb (wings) on the ends and it carves every time and comes out good. I also use a hot glue gun to hold my slab down and when it's finished carving it peals off with no problems. Just my 2 cents worth.

CJ