PDA

View Full Version : Shelf holes

ditchdoc
10-31-2006, 03:50 PM
Has anyone used the CW for drilling shelf holes in bookshelf sides? I would appreciate knowing how it is done and with what bit. It would seem that the carving bit would make tapered holes. Would I have to use a straight bit which is undersized, or could I use a drill bit of approprate diameter? The CW seems like it would be ideal for making these holes. How about it experts? :?

pkunk
10-31-2006, 04:59 PM
Has anyone used the CW for drilling shelf holes in bookshelf sides? I would appreciate knowing how it is done and with what bit. It would seem that the carving bit would make tapered holes. Would I have to use a straight bit which is undersized, or could I use a drill bit of approprate diameter? The CW seems like it would be ideal for making these holes. How about it experts? :?
See attached 'mpc' This is for an 11 x 30" cabinet side w/ 1/4" holes for standard shelf pins. To drill holes you select the drill tool and it automatically selects the 1/8" cutting bit.

shaddy
10-31-2006, 05:33 PM
Paul, when it does it this was, does it drill it to depth at once, or does it make several passes goind deeper each time.

Could you use a 1/4" bit and say it's an 1/8 hole? Or some other way to use a 1/4" bit and have CW know it's a 1/4?

Thanks
Shaddy

pkunk
10-31-2006, 06:34 PM
Paul, when it does it this was, does it drill it to depth at once, or does it make several passes goind deeper each time.

Could you use a 1/4" bit and say it's an 1/8 hole? Or some other way to use a 1/4" bit and have CW know it's a 1/4?

Thanks
Shaddy
Yes on the 1/4" bit w/ 1/8" hole in the software but my experience is the hole became just slightlu oversized. Using the 1/8" bit it takes several pases to make depth, and if the hole is loose, just instruct the software to make a hole .23 or .24.

Dan-Woodman
11-01-2006, 03:38 PM
When I drill shelf holes , I just tell it to drill 1/8" holes and use a 1/4" spiral endmill in its place. I have had no problem's with it locating the 1/4" bit . WORKS GREAT. Make sure you use a bit that can plunge cut. some router bits do not.