PDA

View Full Version : My first improved photo carving

fozziebo
10-26-2006, 08:57 PM
Just thought I'd share a photo carving i did the first day I received my CW last week. I used the time waiting for it to learn the software and edit the photo for best results. I'm still tweaking the photo to get even more improvements. Needless to say that this was a great hit with friends and family. I know it can get much better!!!

shaddy
10-26-2006, 11:00 PM
Looks like you're off to a great start. Nice job editing out the background.

Shaddy

Mike
11-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Hello! This looks great!! Just ordered my machine this week. Pictures is what I want to do. Can you tell me the dimensions of your piece and what photo software you used? Thanks

Mike
11-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Hello! This looks great!! Just ordered my machine this week. Pictures is what I want to do. Can you tell me the dimensions of your piece and what photo software you used? Thanks

BobHill
11-24-2006, 05:09 PM
Fozziebo,

Would you mind showing the photo you used for this? That looks pretty darn good for carving.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

fozziebo
11-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Sure...I've included the original AND the modified to get the results I got. Since this posting, I have even tweaked it more as I learn how to effectively edit the photo with Photoshop CS2. I have 8 to make with additional text added per request. The photo is of my mother-in-law who passed away in October. The wood here is walnut, the pine trial run was just "okay" for my taste. I am amazed at the detail of this machine...even her teeth were delicately carved out!!!

BobHill
11-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks a lot Fozziebo, I should be able to work with this for examples of working with photos. I agree the carving really came out great and much better than I would have expected. what was the carving depth and height that you used?

Bob

Mike
11-26-2006, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the information. How long did it take to carve and what size is it? The carving seems better than the software that you get with the machine. I have Adobe Photoshop Deluxe and Elements. Unfortunatly this software is probably 5 years old or more. I look forward to creating carvings similar to this. Keep up the good work and keep us informed.
Mike

BobHill
11-27-2006, 07:42 AM
Mike,

I'm not sure that you understand "raster" images as used on the CarveWright, as your statement indicates. The ONLY direct design work you can do in the CW software is vector, not raster and at this time, you can ONLY use vector that has been created inside Designer, using their vector tools.

Having said that you CAN incorporate raster images into a vector design, but ALL raster images have to be accomplished in some type of program (or camera, etc.) outside of Designer, then brought into Designer as either a JPEG, GIF, or PNG formatted raster image. There are, certainly differences in the type of raster programs you might use, and Adobe's PhotoShop and Photoshop Elements are two of the best, but to say that they do a better job than the CW software can do would seem that you believe you can do raster imaging in the software, and you can only include it, not work it, or create it (except for text, that is). Adobe PhotoDeluxe wasn't all that bad for it's time, but it's been outdone now by PhotoShop Elements (just a tad higher in price than the old PhotoDeluxe was). They don't make PhotoDeluxe any more, or maintain it either.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Mike
11-27-2006, 08:21 AM
Thank you for that info. Any help in this I appreciate.
Mike