PDA

View Full Version : CW Stand\Cart with Downdraft?

wizer
05-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Hi Guys

I currently have my CW on my work bench and that's not good. So I need to build a dedicated cabinet for it to go on that will have castor wheels to move it around the shop. I have already learned that the AskBud, et al style dust mod is better than a down draft, but is there any harm in having both? I'm thinking of building it under the cabinet seeing as I'm starting from scratch. If it is a good idea, is there an accepted method to make them?

Has there been a thread with people's CW Cabinets\Stands? I'd be interested to see how others have done it.

T I A:D

AskBud
05-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Hi Guys

I currently have my CW on my work bench and that's not good. So I need to build a dedicated cabinet for it to go on that will have castor wheels to move it around the shop. I have already learned that the AskBud, et al style dust mod is better than a down draft, but is there any harm in having both? I'm thinking of building it under the cabinet seeing as I'm starting from scratch. If it is a good idea, is there an accepted method to make them?

Has there been a thread with people's CW Cabinets\Stands? I'd be interested to see how others have done it.

Your slot should be the same size, or smaller than the draft opening in the bottom of the machine. It should be sealed, to the machine (soft window foam will do) so that no air escapes the seal.

I have reversed my DD flow and pipe my exhaust port into the former DD slot. I do this to create positive air flow into the cutting area, which assists the Vacuum attachment.
AskBud

bjbethke
05-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Hi Guys

I installed my DC unit in my CW stand. I carved an attachment to fit the downdraft slot to attach the DC to my CW unit. I use a 4 inch hose to blow the dust through my shop wall. And use a 2.5 inch shop vacuum hose connected to the motor port. This removes most of the dust. I never stop the machine to clean when carving. I have a left side port, not sure if I really need it I don’t carve many projects over 10 inches wide and do not use wide sleds to carve my stuff. The DC unit is a 1 HP, 950 CFM, 4 inch hose connector. Works great. Cabinet has rollers to move around. I removed the cover, cracks formed in the cover part that holds the clear part of the cover.

Old Salt
05-04-2010, 08:57 PM
I used an 18 drawer kitchen base cabinet with a 24X28 top. cut a slot in center of top to fit slot in bottom of carvewright and mounted a shoot for down draft under top above the top drawer in cabinet.
I use a top vac system with 4 " hose coming off the bottom right side of port. The two systems work together well and I have good storage with drawers for supplys and parts.

mounted caster under so it stores back to wall when not in use

dcalvin4
05-04-2010, 10:28 PM
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22104
denny

Chief
05-05-2010, 05:14 PM
BJ,

Where did you buy that plastic fitting you used to marry the 2 1/2" to the 4"? It seems like it should be the other way around with the 4" being straight and the 2 1/2" going off to the side. I too have cut a hole on the right side but don't have anything going to the so-called muffler.

Chief

DocWheeler
05-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Chief,

Denny had the link in his post just above yours. I think I need to get one also, thanks Denny.

Digitalwoodshop
05-05-2010, 06:31 PM
TIA,

This is my answer to dust collection. Works great.

I take 3/4 suction from the top and 1/4 from the bottom slot.

AL

wizer
05-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks Guys. I think I'm going to build a DD into a tolling cabinet for the CW. Now I need to get my head around how to build it. Has anyone got a pic or diagram of the underside of the unit? I know I can just go and have a look, but I have a spinal condition, so lifting it on my own is out of the question. I downloaded bjbethke'a DownDraft zip but can't make head nor tail of what the parts are or where they go. I take it the white pipe pointing up is the inlet for the underside of the CW. But I can't figure out what the red thing is behind it?

Any further help appreciated ;)

oclatta
05-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Here is what I did on a Sears Craftsman Project Cart. I built a box out of scrap particle board with a slot in it that matched the slot in the botom of the CarveWright. A duct out of the back connects to my dust collector. A little room was left over on the side so I made some cubbies for lubs, bits, etc. I used foil flexible duct and connect jumper wires from the CW and dust collector to get rid of any static electricity that may build up. I think I posted this two years ago. It has worked fine.

fwharris
05-05-2010, 08:31 PM
I used a rolling tool chest, built the box out of 2x6, added a printer stand top (recyled from a Habitat store).

Do not use the down draft since going with my top mount DC-Insert.

hess
05-05-2010, 10:43 PM
mine set on harbor frt workbenches used to have DD under each one but once I found Ring neck hood no need for the dd if fact any one need to Grizzly dd think they us 2 inch mine are collecting dust lol

I would sell them cheep make me an offer

shipping would more than like cost more than I need for them

Also have a good delta 14 inch band saw used very little would sell for 250 all new tunions and extra set

wizer
05-06-2010, 06:15 AM
Thanks guys, keep the pics of your CW setups coming. This could be a good reference for people in the future?

cnsranch
05-06-2010, 09:58 AM
wizer

I found the dd to be a waste - the shavings get caught up in your carve regions, and the dc can't pull them out - and it's completely useless with a wider board in the machine.

Go with a hood of some kind - I really like the one FredrickP designed.

wizer
05-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Thanks Jerry. Is there a thread for that design? I can never get my head around how the top hood method works. Is it just a box with and open front (side?) with a dust hose on top.

cnsranch
05-06-2010, 03:52 PM
wizer - here's the link...

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=13433&highlight=final

Note that you're going to need some tools to complete this collector properly - The primary one being a good sander to create the curves for the "venturi" part of the design.

Read through the entire thread carefully, it's pretty complete, including plans.

Another trick is to make sure the sides fit well into the curve of the CW - you'll see what I mean as you go thru the thread.

If it's too much for you, I understand ringneckblue's hood that's available for sale works well.

wizer
05-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks Jerry. I do have a workshop full of tools\machinery. But my time is limited in the shop do to my health. I will have a read of the thread and see what I think. My location kinda prevents me from getting ringneck's hood.

Chief38
05-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Wizer,
I bought Askbud's project for a dust hood from the Carvewright store and am very happy with the results.
This is a DC hood made of wood. Take a look it may be a good alternative for you.

Herb

jaroot
05-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Wizer,
I bought Askbud's project for a dust hood from the Carvewright store and am very happy with the results.
This is a DC hood made of wood. Take a look it may be a good alternative for you.

Herb

I tried to look at it but said that I needed to buy it to look at it. So I moved on and used the plans provided by Fredrick_P. I had to adjust the measurements a little but it works great. Attached it to a cheap harbor freight portable dust collector.

fwharris
05-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Thanks Jerry. I do have a workshop full of tools\machinery. But my time is limited in the shop do to my health. I will have a read of the thread and see what I think. My location kinda prevents me from getting ringneck's hood.

Wizer,

I might consider shipping you one. I do ship to Canada and really did not consider the UK when setting things up.. Send me a PM with info and I can give you a quote..

scamp62
05-10-2010, 11:14 PM
will I got a $55.00 Ringneckblues.com DC (great peace of work !!)
Harbor Fright 1 HP dust collector (20% off coupon) $80.00
Harbor Fright Bench Stand (yes another 20% off coupon) $22.00
Harbor Fright Dolly Wheel System (and yes once again 20% off coupon) 19.00
So I have $176.00 dollars into this moble DC system, and it works great !
Oops add $10.00 for the hose !

CSPURGEON
05-11-2010, 02:54 AM
will I got a $55.00 Ringneckblues.com DC (great peace of work !!)
Harbor Fright 1 HP dust collector (20% off coupon) $80.00
Harbor Fright Bench Stand (yes another 20% off coupon) $22.00
Harbor Fright Dolly Wheel System (and yes once again 20% off coupon) 19.00
So I have $176.00 dollars into this moble DC system, and it works great !
Oops add $10.00 for the hose !
Where are you getting these coupons ... I need to get my hands on some of those!

Kenm810
05-11-2010, 06:46 AM
If you do a Google search, "Harbor Freight Coupons" you can get them off right the Web

scamp62
05-16-2010, 11:01 PM
most of the time i get them from gun and car magazines

karossii
05-17-2010, 01:22 AM
I signed up with my email address at the local harbor freight, and I get a ton of coupons, mostly product specific, but also about once a month I get a generic 20% off (sometimes off 1 item, sometimes off an entire purchase).

I have a special email account set up for all of my store signups, so I get a ton of coupons there all day every day... it is a great way to save!

CSPURGEON
05-17-2010, 02:10 AM
I will check that out.. THANKS!

bobtom
05-17-2010, 08:33 AM
I receive Harbor Freight 20 % cupons in the mail from them.
They are also in Wood magazine monthly

lostinthefrost
05-21-2010, 11:20 PM
I picked up the 2 HP Industrial 5 Micron Dust Collector
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-industrial-5-micron-dust-collector-97869.html

with coupons and in store negotiating for $119 + tax... it was a steal. It's a bit overkill but I can hook up my planer and/or my jointer to it.
Too bad I have to drive 45 miles to get to the nearest store.